Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Totaled My Two Month Old P2C

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08, 08:14 PM
senatorw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Avoiding a dumb lady in a car who made an unsafe left turn into a shopping center with no indication so she might save like 30 seconds. Locked up the brakes to avoid her hood, flipped, broke both wrists, separated my shoulder, and cracked my helmet clear through (thank god).

Was riding with my Jet 60s and Powertap, which i think escaped okay.

Worst part? Once I realized I was going to be okay (hear about surgery on the wrists tomorrow), I got bummed that I'll never find 2008 P2C Dura Ace build in 54. How sick is that? And, I'm a bop'er 7 hour 70.3 finisher who took up the sport post knee surgeries. Love that paint job, and would sleep with my bike if my wife would let me.

I figure when I get the hard casts, I can put my roadbike in the trainer and drop those bad boys right in the pads.

Old 11-02-08, 08:18 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ouch!!
Old 11-02-08, 08:19 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's a p2c?
Old 11-02-08, 10:08 PM
Rogue Leader

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're alive!

Any photos of whats left of the bike?
Old 11-03-08, 06:24 PM
Dwayne1

Bikes: Cannondale SR, Mountin bike daily beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
What's a p2c?
A very sweet carbon frame made by Cervelo.
www.cervelo.com
Dwayne
Old 11-03-08, 06:35 PM
MadeInItaly
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better the bike than you. Now that you survived a near death experience, go out and treat yourself to a P4 all done up.. Glad you are relatively OK.
Old 11-03-08, 06:38 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Can you replace the frame and use your existing DA gruppo? I'm sure there are P2C framesets to be had out there.
Old 11-03-08, 06:40 PM
FightingPanther
Sledge Hammer

Bikes: 2008 Lemond - Buenos Aries

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look into crash replacement if your interested
you may circumnavigate some red tape and lbs hustle going that way
Old 11-03-08, 07:42 PM
senatorw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks.

I reconstructed the damage, jfk-style. When I flipped over, the bars took a hard left as I went hard right (evidenced by the crack in the front right of the helmet). The Vision base bar end went straight for the top tube, hitting it with such force that it cracked nearly all the way through, and in fact riding over the top.

The Gruppo looks salvageable, though i probably wouldnt risk the carbon cranks. Aero bars, Hydrotail, wheels look okay. Been hearing the DA frameset not widely findable in 54, anywhere.

No evidence of a shooter in the grassy knoll.
Old 11-03-08, 11:55 PM
AssosMan

Bikes: Y-Foil 77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you made it out alive - How about the role of the insurance companies in this situation?
Old 11-04-08, 12:50 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DA Frameset? Maybe I'm missing what you mean.
Old 11-04-08, 06:41 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you getting any compensation for your bike and injuries? That's an awful accident - you're a trooper for keeping smiling!
Old 11-04-08, 08:03 PM
Triguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, I'm glad to see you are alive, and thinking about things in a somewhat good light. I can't imagine getting hit by a car.

Second, your local bike store is a great resource for these types of things. They can help you with replacement(yeah it probably won't be the exact same colors but will be the same design), giving estimates of replacement and probably support from the local bike community.

Also, I hope this lady has insurance. I don't think lawsuits are the answer but make sure an accident report is filed and that you receive it.

Best of luck with your recovery. I've seen wrist casts that are suitable for bike riding once you are further along in the healing process, I'll search for the link. I will be looking forward to your updates.

Stay positive and best of luck!
Old 11-04-08, 09:13 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Number one, I'm glad you're okay. Thank God, really. Good attitude you have, that will come in handy through recovery. I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on television, but as I understand it from friends in the insurance biz, and who have been in your shoes on the receiving end, if the driver is ruled to be at fault the equation should be pretty basic:

Car hits you = new bike

Since it's new I would think you would get total replacement cost, but that's just me trying to be logical
I'm sure she wasn't gunning for you and I'm definitely not saying you should get a new custom Guru out of the deal, but it seems reasonable that the insurance company should give you enough to buy exactly what you had. I've seen sunrise cyclery recently say they had all sizes of 08 in stock.

Get well soon (at least it's the off season!!!)
Old 11-04-08, 10:11 PM
senatorw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again. When I said DA Frameset, what I mean is that I bought the DA build (and then upgraded the wheels, the aerobars) and in repacement, my pref would be either the DA build or just the frameset (white, black and red). I'd rather not build it up completely, but I would if forced to. I really don't like the 2009 Frameset color, the red, gray and black. I only want a P2C, Plainsman. I like the Guru, but I loved my bike, I loved everything about it.

She had insurance. That is good. I will have to fight them probably. I am still waiting for the police report and when I get it, I will start the process. The worst thing for my "case" is that I never actually hit her car. I stopped short of hitting her right fender and going over the hood and into the windshield. Because I was forced to evade, she will argue that I caused my own injuries. But, she made an unsafe left turn, I had the right of way, she forced me to take evasive action to avoid hitting the car, and I had no alternative (veering right, I would have gone into the curb, veering left, I would have gone into other oncoming traffic). In retrospect, I would always take flipping my bike over and stopping short of hitting the car then the alternative. We shall see.

I still have work to do on my recovery, may still need an x ray on my neck which is still hurting, but I will get on the recumbent bike this weekend, and they say (neck permitting) I will be able to run in 3 weeks.

Look, if I have to get the yucky white, red and gray, I'll deal. There are worse things. Heck, I don't even "rate" a P2C, I'm too slow.

Last edited by senatorw; 11-04-08 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-05-08, 01:03 AM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One possible alternative is getting a raw (unpainted) frame from Cervelo and having it custom painted. The guy who won my age group at IMAZ did that and it was one of the coolest bikes I've seen. There was a photo of it in Triathlete. It may cost you a few hundred $ more but it's a very cool option.
Old 11-05-08, 09:22 PM
senatorw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the way to go if I get a sense the woman's carrier is going to do the right thing. There was recently a custom painted R&A Cervelo in Slowtwitch that looked amazing. (and it was a simple blue and white).
Old 11-06-08, 09:05 PM
senatorw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

Hey, I found a 54 frame in 2008 paint job with the Funda fork (mine had the Wolf CL), get this, at my neighborhood LBS. Not the place I bought my frame (cause I got 10 percent off frame, and another 15 percent off the DA upgraded brake calipers), but the place I go to service my bike. And, he had two! I put a deposit down on it so they cannot sell it out from under me, while I wait for Dumb Lady's insurance to surface.

Feel lucky now.