Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Yet another cross-chaining thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 02:23 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

I cross-chain with all of my three bikes (2x and 3x) all the time​​. No rubbing, no chain dropping, no other issues.

According to Bikeradar:
  • Big-big combo is fine, but I lose a few Watts in low-low combo.
  • And yeah, cross chaining in 1x is a thing to discuss

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/wor...ross-chaining/

Last edited by alexk_il; 04-03-23 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-03-23, 04:54 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Thanks.

I see there was no discussion about the effect of lubricant in the article……
Likes For flangehead:
Old 04-03-23, 05:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Yep, good to hear.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-03-23, 06:19 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yep, good to hear.
ditto
Old 04-03-23, 06:39 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
I cross-chain with all of my three bikes (2x and 3x) all the time​​. No rubbing, no dropping no other issues.
Your bike. Do whatever you want.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-03-23, 07:19 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Why cross chain? You can wear your helmet backwards, too.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-03-23, 08:30 AM
smd4

It always makes sense to put your chain in the easiest gear/hardest gear combinations.
Old 04-03-23, 08:34 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I hot wax my cleats to make it easier to unclip.
I tried a really good oil, but I don’t like the smell of WD40

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-03-23, 08:46 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
….I tried a really good oil, but I don’t like the smell of WD40

Barry
Gets me thinking about the prospect of napalm as a lubricant.
Old 04-03-23, 09:27 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by Kontact
Why cross chain? You can wear your helmet backwards, too.
The article actually answers that question too. Might not be the answer you like, but it's there.
​​​​​
Old 04-03-23, 09:34 AM
smd4

The article actually answers that question too. Might not be the answer you like, but it's there.
​​​​​
The article suggests over and over that it's not a good idea to cross chain. But you do you.

It's no skin off my nose if you want to abuse your bikes.

Last edited by smd4; 04-03-23 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-03-23, 09:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Gets me thinking about the prospect of napalm as a lubricant.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-03-23, 09:52 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by flangehead
Thanks.

I see there was no discussion about the effect of lubricant in the article……
Here you go

They misrepresented results though as excellently explained in the most liked comment under that video.

Bottom line, if you put 250Wt into transmission, a clean chain with a good lube saves 0.5-2Wt vs an old, unlubricated one.
Old 04-03-23, 10:08 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by smd4
The article suggests over and over that it's not a good idea to cross chain. But you do you.

It's no skin off my nose of you want to abuse your bikes.
Abuse? This is what the article says.

"SRAM says “cross-chaining has no effect on chain wear. The effect of cross-chaining on the big cog and big ring is insignificant”.

Anyway, there is a dedicated section in that article: "Should you ever cross-chain?". It explains when it is ok to cross-chain both for inexperienced and for racing cyclists.

Did they get it wrong or have you missed it? 🤔

Last edited by alexk_il; 04-03-23 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-03-23, 10:23 AM
smd4

"SRAM says “cross-chaining has no effect on chain wear. The effect of cross-chaining on the big cog and big ring is insignificant”.

So, you got one quote from SRAM, eh?

I don't think I missed anything. But I do think you did.

why you shouldn’t cross-chain...
Cross-chaining forces your chain into an extreme angle, reducing efficiency, increasing wear and harming shifting performance.
​​​​​​​It’s also generally recommended to avoid riding in the second smallest sprocket when in the small chainring.
​​​​​​​SRAM...specifically discourages riding in a small-small combination because “the chain tension is low, which may result in chain drop, and there’s a small risk of inadvertent chain pick-up by the large ring”.
​​​​​​​Shimano...acknowledges there is more friction when cross-chaining.
​​​​​​​Why is cross-chaining bad? When you cross-chain, the chain is made to run at a more extreme angle because it runs diagonally, potentially increasing friction and strain on the drivetrain components.
​​​​​​​Cross-chaining will almost certainly be noisy because the chain is put under more strain.
​​​​​​​It is generally thought to be more efficient not to cross-chain, given the increased friction of the chain rubbing against the front derailleur or cassette teeth and the sub-optimal chainline.
​​​​​​​Ideally, you should avoid cross-chaining.
​​​​​​​By all means, continue to abuse your bike. Like I said, no skin off my nose. You're a component manufacturer's dream come true!

Last edited by smd4; 04-03-23 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-03-23, 10:27 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by smd4
So, you got one quote from SRAM, eh?

I don't think I missed anything. But I do think you did.

By all means, continue to abuse your bike. Like I said, no skin off my nose.
These are not the quotes ftom the section that explains when it is ok to cross-chain for racers and beginners. Good effort though, thanks. 🤣
Old 04-03-23, 10:34 AM
smd4

These are not the quotes ftom the section that explains when it is ok to cross-chain for racers and beginners. Good effort though, thanks. 🤣
This is from that section:

However, this can be hard to remember when you’re riding at the limit, so don’t worry if you find yourself accidentally cross-chaining from time to time.
Translation: It's OK, every once in a while (and not on purpose) if you're a noob and can't remember what gear you're in.

Again, the entire point of the article is that it's not really a good idea to cross-chain. And it didn't take much effort to get that out of the article. In its entirety. In context.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-03-23, 10:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
There is a hill on a route that I often ride which sort of lends itself to a bit of cross chaining. Not very long, only about 300 metres but it gets progressively steeper towards the top. I start the hill on my 48 tooth big ring with the chain in the middle of the cassette, shifting as the grade increases. Some days I can make the top without using the big cog, sometimes I can't but even then I make that shift with only 20-30 metres to go. I do this knowing that shifting to the small ring on a short climb like this can kill any momentum that I have. This small amount of cross chaining isn't much of a problem
Old 04-03-23, 04:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
There is a hill on a route that I often ride which sort of lends itself to a bit of cross chaining. Not very long, only about 300 metres but it gets progressively steeper towards the top. ...
Is this humble bragging?
Old 04-03-23, 07:37 PM
Kontact 

​​​​​

Come on, just try it!
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-03-23, 08:25 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Anyway, there is a dedicated section in that article: "Should you ever cross-chain?". It explains when it is ok to cross-chain both for inexperienced and for racing cyclists.

Hard to trust a reference that doesn't even know the difference between a cog and a sprocket. But they probably call tires by "C" for width too.
Old 04-03-23, 08:33 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by Camilo
Hard to trust a reference that doesn't even know the difference between a cog and a sprocket. But they probably call tires by "C" for width too.
In the shop in 1989, cog and sprocket would be interchangeable. “C” maybe not so much.
Old 04-03-23, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Having read that article it isn't really pro-cross chaining. They mention talking to SRAM and Shimano but did they talk to the an engineer or technical representative who knows about stuff or the guy in the mail room? Nothing is really clear on who hey spoke with at these organizations and still I never felt reading the article that yes we should be cross chaining and that cross chaining is good. More like something called SRAM said "big-big isn't so bad and little-little is bad" but overall wasn't super positive on it.

If you want to do it to your bike it is your bike, hopefully you aren't bringing it to an actual mechanic as I know what comes next "you really shouldn't be cross chaining that is why your drivetrain is worn out"
"what do you mean my drivetrain is worn out I replaced it 10 years ago and have only ridden 20k miles"
"it is also completely gunked up, do you ever clean it"
"you guys should know you did the work last time"

I have had plenty of very similar conversations with customers over the years. No need to wear out components faster no matter what someone named SRAM or who may or may not work at SRAM or have some relation to SRAM says in a single article.

Me personally I am not a wealthy person so prematurely wearing out drivetrain components just to do something that is less efficient and shows poor shifting ability is just not something I want to do. I am not great at shifting personally, I recognize it and am trying to improve but I do my best to avoid cross chaining when possible. I mean even if I had unlimited budget I still don't want to wear out components faster and have to spend more, I would rather spend that money on new bikes and better parts or other things in my life.

Obviously yes you might have situation while racing where your mind is maybe not able to process all the thinking you need for proper shifting or maybe on tour at the end of a really long day or hard day or maybe towards the end and you are tried and worn out yeah you might do it but doing it regularly and being proud of it just never makes sense.
Old 04-03-23, 09:20 PM
Kontact 

Articles like this don't get written because of their technical newsworthiness. They get written to have enough content to keep subscribers/web traffic. They don't make real recommendations or decided important issues. Expect an article on cable end crimping, next.

I would be inclined to simply avoid any publication that posts stuff like this. Apparently nothing is happening in cycling.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-04-23, 06:55 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Having read that article it isn't really pro-cross chaining.
Exactly. It's good though to read about the actual reasons for people to cross-chain. Reading about 1x cross-chaining was entertaining too.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want to do it to your bike it is your bike, hopefully you aren't bringing it to an actual mechanic as I know what comes next "you really shouldn't be cross chaining that is why your drivetrain is worn out"
  • "what do you mean my drivetrain is worn out I replaced it 10 years ago and have only ridden 20k miles"
  • "it is also completely gunked up, do you ever clean it"
  • "you guys should know you did the work last time"
I have had plenty of very similar conversations with customers over the years.
Exactly. I ride my bikes for more than 10 years and has covered less than 10K miles on each of them. Chains and the drive-set (I use the park tool to measure the wear) are still in good condition despite of the cross-chaining.

I service my bikes regularly by myself, however I've heard stories from my colleagues with similar mileage about their mechanics replacing their chains every year as an extra to the service. The wear and abuse is always the quoted reason. Different cycling styles? Bad parts? Questionable ethics? All of the above? Don't really care, these are not my bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.