Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brazed Schwinn Varsity???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 05:26 PM
Cha1nsaw

Bikes: 1989 Bonded Aluminum Tommaso, 1991 Schwinn World Sport, 1989 Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just purchased a Schwinn Varsity that appears to be brazed. I didn't think any of the Varsity line were brazed. I don't have access to the bike right now so I can't provide Serial Numbers or photos. Have any of the sage scholars ever heard of a brazed Varsity?

Thanks,
Chainsaw
Old 07-24-15, 05:47 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Unless it is really old and a 3 speed it is an electro forged bike. Electro forging looks like brazing. There might be a couple of spots where brazing was used but it isn't a brazed frame. Roger
Old 07-24-15, 07:58 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
A serial number will track down what it really is. There were '70's Schwinns that were fillet-brazed chrome-moly (Super Sports, Sports Tourers, and Superiors), but they're very distinctive. Post photos ASAP.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-24-15, 08:17 PM
momo608

Bikes: bikes I like

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm starting to think that some of these comments here are pranks.

" I don't have access to the bike right now so I can't provide Serial Numbers or photos."

Right!
Old 07-24-15, 08:32 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by momo608

" I don't have access to the bike right now so I can't provide Serial Numbers or photos."

Right!
Well, it could be in transit. Cut the guy a little slack.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-24-15, 08:45 PM
momo608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Well, it could be in transit. Cut the guy a little slack.
No
Old 07-24-15, 09:12 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
If by "brazed" you mean lugged, note that the Varsity was reintroduced as a lugged frame import in 1986:

Old 07-24-15, 09:26 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Since electroforging is an edge to edge weld, there is one joint on electroforged frames that is brazed; the top tube to seat tube join involves the mitered edge of the top tube end joined to the round seat tube. From Marc Muller's article Inside the Varsity, the top tube to seat tube brazed joint is explained this way:

Originally Posted by Inside the Varsity
Schwinn engineers went to great lengths to create joints suitable for E/F, but one--the top tube to seat tube joint-- always escaped their best efforts. Remember, E/F is an edge-to-edge process, and this joint had only one edge, on the end of the top tube. For years this joint was hand brazed and polished, but finally an economical solution was found. When the end of the tube was mitered ("notched" in Schwinn parlance) its edges were also flared to fit up to the seat tube. The frame was placed in a fixture with the head pointing upward. Surrounding the seat joint were induction coils that heated the seat joint rapidly, melting a preplaced silver brazing wire. Yes, your Varsity had a lugged, silver brazed joint!
One way to verify that the frame is welded and not brazed is to use a magnet on the "fillets"; on a brazed frame the fillet will not attract a magnet, but since the "fillet" on an electroforged frame is steel, it will attract a magnet.

Steel "fillets" on an electroforged frame:

Brass fillets on a fillet brazed frame:

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 07-24-15, 09:29 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by Metacortex
If by "brazed" you mean lugged, note that the Varsity was reintroduced as a lugged frame import in 1986:
Good point; I assumed he meant fillet brazed.

my bikes

Old 07-28-15, 12:19 PM
Cha1nsaw

Bikes: 1989 Bonded Aluminum Tommaso, 1991 Schwinn World Sport, 1989 Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I'm on vacation and picked the bike up the day before leaving so I don't have the bike right now ... Yea, right! Makes it hard to get serial numbers or pictures. When get home, I'll do the magnet thing on the joints

Chainsaw
Old 07-28-15, 01:00 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
I'm guessing that even the older version 1953 Varsity was not fillet brazed but was electro-forged. Maybe @Metacortex and/or @Scooper could confirm.

The 1955 catalog page has a better depiction.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 07-28-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 01:13 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Since electroforging is an edge to edge weld, there is one joint on electroforged frames that is brazed; the top tube to seat tube join involves the mitered edge of the top tube end joined to the round seat tube. From Marc Muller's article Inside the Varsity, the top tube to seat tube brazed joint is explained this way:

One way to verify that the frame is welded and not brazed is to use a magnet on the "fillets"; on a brazed frame the fillet will not attract a magnet, but since the "fillet" on an electroforged frame is steel, it will attract a magnet.

Steel "fillets" on an electroforged frame:

Brass fillets on a fillet brazed frame:
Good post. Thanks.

I don't need magnets to check my bikes. I can SEE and FEEL the EF joins right through the paint. Not exactly art. But I still love 'em.
Old 07-28-15, 01:16 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Question for those in the know.

How were the seat stays joined to the seat tube/top tube? That has to be brazed, right?
Old 07-28-15, 02:26 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bob, the 1954 dealer catalog Varsity page indicates it's got an electro-forged frame, and the 1952 catalog features the exclusivity of the Schwinn electro-forged frame, although it doesn't specifically mention the Varsity.

Originally Posted by 1952 Schwinn consumer catalog
ELECTRO-FORGED FRAME
...There's super strength in Schwinn's exclusive frame construction...with specially designed head and hanger features that no other bike offers!
Here's the 1954 dealer catalog page:

my bikes

Old 07-28-15, 02:29 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by SquidPuppet

How were the seat stays joined to the seat tube/top tube? That has to be brazed, right?
Since the seat stays are side-tacked at the seat cluster, I think you're probably right but don't know for sure.

my bikes

Old 07-28-15, 02:29 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts

Wrong. The seatstays were electric welded to the seat tube.

Apparently this was done after the top tube was flared and brazed to the seat tube, since the brief, localized heat from the contact spot electric welds would not be expected to disturb the brazed joint.

But it's also possible that the brazed joint was done after the seatstays were welded to the seat tube, just that the seatstays would then sort of be in the way.

Last edited by dddd; 07-28-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 03:16 PM
Metacortex

Bikes: Fillet-brazed Schwinns

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
Wrong. The seatstays were electric welded to the seat tube.

Apparently this was done after the top tube was flared and brazed to the seat tube, since the brief, localized heat from the contact spot electric welds would not be expected to disturb the brazed joint.
Also wrong. The top tube to seatmast joints were high-frequency induction welded. An article in the Jan. '77 Reporter titled "Glass Bead Blasting Improves Schwinn Quality" states:
Schwinn installed a glass bead blasting machine in Plant #4, its frame fabrication facility, to clean the high frequency induction welded joint at the top bar and seatmast, and the weld splatter in the seatmast to hangar area on Schwinn built frames. When the bottom bar and seatmast are welded to the hanger a weld splatter is formed, and when the top bar and seatmast are induction welded a carbon residue is formed around the mating parts. The weld splatter and carbon residue must be removed before the frame is primed...
The article continues to indicate that the bead blasting machine went into service in Aug. '75 after 6 months of extensive research and development, and that previously this carbon residue and weld splatter removal was done entirely by hand.
Old 07-28-15, 04:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts

Right!
Let's see some pix of your 15 speed Peugeot!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-28-15, 04:41 PM
momo608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Let's see some pix of your 15 speed Peugeot!!
Hey genius, I said it was long gone and I was asking what model it could have been

Here is the question and I gave all the info I have.

Peugeot 15 speed info wanted

I bought a Peugeot triple crank 15 speed road bike back in the mid 70's. I did a complete, new everything except the triple, refurbish on the bike complete with a strip and spray bomb repaint. I am trying to figure out what model the bike was. The bike is long gone. It had the 15 speed set up with full fenders and a tall frame, probably 25". The bike was old and crusty when I got it so if I had to guess it was a late 60's or very early 70's bike, maybe older. Anyone know what it could have been?

Last edited by momo608; 07-28-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-28-15, 05:01 PM
momo608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That "chainsaw" dude replied but deleted his follow up post. I'll say what I replied to him.

It's lazy and inconsiderate to throw out a garbage question like that and expect a thoughtful response.

What are we supposed to do! Ponder every kind of Varsity ever made that he might be confusing his with? I know some did just that, but he should have at least waited until he could supply the most basic information. I'm respectful of peoples time, I would never pose a question like that.
Old 07-28-15, 05:24 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

C&V is a pretty mellow forum and most of the folks here try to be helpful and are very tolerant of newbie questions.

Relax.

my bikes

Old 07-28-15, 06:05 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Hey genius, I said it was long gone and I was asking what model it could have been

Here is the question and I gave all the info I have.

Peugeot 15 speed info wanted

I bought a Peugeot triple crank 15 speed road bike back in the mid 70's. I did a complete, new everything except the triple, refurbish on the bike complete with a strip and spray bomb repaint. I am trying to figure out what model the bike was. The bike is long gone. It had the 15 speed set up with full fenders and a tall frame, probably 25". The bike was old and crusty when I got it so if I had to guess it was a late 60's or very early 70's bike, maybe older. Anyone know what it could have been?
Settle down, Junior.

So what are you doing posting a thread about a bike you don't have? Is this some sort of prank?

It's lazy and inconsiderate to throw out a garbage question like that and expect a thoughtful response.

What are we supposed to do? Ponder every kind of Peugeot ever made that you might be confusing yours with? I know you did just that, but you should have at least waited until you could supply the most basic information. You're not being respectful of peoples time, evidenced because you posed a question like that.

You've been a member here for almost a year. At the time I replied, you had all of 14 posts. In almost a year. Not so much of a contributing member of the forum. You're being rude to someone who quite simply asked "Have any of the sage scholars ever heard of a brazed Varsity?" That question does not require a serial number or pictures.

You, on the other hand, posted a "Anyone know what it could have been?" thread about a bike you had 30+ years ago. That guy asked a question that's answerable. You asked a question... that's not so answerable. That question requires some sort of knowledge about what you had, possibly nothing that a serial number or pictures would answer.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-28-15, 07:06 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Hey guys!

Let's keep it civil here in C&V.
Old 07-28-15, 07:22 PM
momo608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who cares? The Golden Boy wants revenge. Revenge has its own agenda.
Old 07-28-15, 07:42 PM
momo608

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They were elecrtoforged. An electrical current was sent through the frame structure from two opposite points of the tubing interfaces. An arch was formed between the two points creating a weld to join the tubing together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.