Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Los Angeles

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 12:04 PM
dithifer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Los Angeles

Have anyone ever lived car free in Los Angeles? I am thinking about doing it with an ebike, but am not sure safety wise.
Old 07-31-23, 12:43 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Are you planning to take your e-bike on the 405? If yes, you have a problem. Besides being dangerous, it's illegal. If you do not plan to illegally operate your e-bike on freeways or other limited access roadways then L.A. should not be anymore dangerous to ride in than ... NYC? In fact, I would sooner trust my tender flesh to the indifference of a West Coast cager to the more aggressive me first mentality of an East Coast cager. If it's personal safety you mean, we've been there. Don't need to go there again.
Old 08-07-23, 03:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by dithifer
Have anyone ever lived car free in Los Angeles? I am thinking about doing it with an ebike, but am not sure safety wise.
Santa Monica was my second home back in the '90s. It really depends on where you live and work. There are many bike paths and trails, and a few bike lanes here and there. And with an E-Bike it should be easy to keep up with traffic most places NOT the freeways. The main issue is that L.A. is so spread out and very car-centric. I could get everywhere I needed to be on inline skate. But I was pretty smart about where I located myself in relation to places I needed/wanted to be. And rental cars were cheap as dirt back then, so if I wanted to get out of town I took advantage of that.
Old 08-07-23, 03:48 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Viability?: it depends.

Seriously evaluate how far, and on which roads, you'll be needing to travel. Los Angeles is, end-to-end, one of the largest mega-cities on the planet. It can take an unconscionably long time to get from one end to the other, if that's where you've placed your home and work destinations. Along with the fact that it's designed-in features supportive of "car culture" means that you'll often find no way to effectively get from A to B, depending.

If I were living within 5 miles of my destination(s) and the routes were ride-able via bicycle, then I'd certainly consider going car-free. But if you get several towns distant, you might well find yourself with few to no options for getting there, given how some of the major arteries (highways) cut across things. Most such highways have ways to get across, but in reality it might be so far out of your way as to make such a meandering route a pain.

There are lots of roads in Los Angeles that simply weren't built with bicycling in mind.

With a zippy e-bike you might well have more options. Depending on which "A and B" you're speaking of.
Old 08-07-23, 04:22 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,750 Times in 1,841 Posts
It might be sort of obvious, but I have noticed a big difference between the quality of routes when I am choosing to go for a ride vs. when I need to go to a particular place. I was running some errands yesterday and had to go, where I had to go, kept finding myself in spots I was not a big fan of ( shoulder disappeared, piles of debris, bike lanes that had you surrounded by traffic). None of it was that big a deal, mostly just watching and timing traffic so I didn't get pinched, that said, I normally wouldn't take these routes, but need to to get where I was going and had no other viable options. I will go out and shop on my bike (a few items), but don't usually take my bike when I am going shopping (weeks grocery's, paint for the living room, etc.) not that you couldn't but I would look at how yo do things now and how you will on a bike.
Old 08-07-23, 08:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
yes, it's doable. as the last few posters have mentioned/alluded to, really depends on work commute (if that applies in your case). there are areas that are concentrated
and work well for walking/errands/short rides like the fairfax district, silver lake, glendale, atwater village, toluca lake, redondo beach, (some parts of) torrance, el segundo and culver city. likely missed a few neighborhoods. my apologies.
west of the 405 freeway has better air quality. the further east you go from the 405, the worse it gets.
Old 08-23-23, 12:34 PM
freckles

Bikes: BF NWT, Tern Short Haul

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
OP, as others have said, it depends on where you live and the places you need to go (commute/school/errands/friends etc).

I live in LA too and mostly walk/bike with occasional bus/subway and car. I still own a car but am considering selling it next year to go completely car free. Most of my needs can be done locally and for occasional events- I'll figure it out. Hoping the Blue car share will expand to locations closer to my base.

Unfortunately, LA does not have good bike infrastructure. Mostly wig wag my way thru residential streets and occasional sidewalks to stay alive but its still more fun than being in a car in traffic
Old 08-24-23, 06:24 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
“Nobody walks in LA,” unless they are blind (though I don’t think that stops many), or has a suspended license (ditto), or is too claustrophobic to sit in a car. LA is not one of those “15 minute cities” like New York or Tokyo, and a car is almost a necessity. Public transportation exists, but it’s not the kind of environment I like to expose myself to unless I’m armed.
Old 02-08-24, 03:19 AM
0ne

Bikes: Novara, Schwinn, Scott, Motobecane, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been 100% car free for 9 years here in Los Angeles. I have my gravel bike with panniers, full frame bag and front harness for carrying what i carry, a buddyrider mounted to my seatpost for my dog and a trailer for times i need cargo space. I supplement my riding with metro trains and buses but with my new tires, i cant fit in bus racks. Its absolutely possible and the weather is great, thid past week has been all rain but most months its sun every day.
Old 02-08-24, 03:31 AM
0ne

Bikes: Novara, Schwinn, Scott, Motobecane, Trek

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
a car is almost a necessity. Public transportation exists, but it’s not the kind of environment I like to expose myself to unless I’m armed.
Car is NOT a necessity i prove that daily and LA Metro is surprisingly well set up. You can get pretty much anywhere in the city using metro, either train or bus or both, cost is $1.75 with 2 hours unlimited transfers and bikes welcome on both. There are seedy elements in every town every city on earth, you dont need to interact with everyone who may or may not be on the same train so dont let that prevent you using a convenient method to get around. That said, i have encountered some hard headed people while on metro and Sabre Pepper gel definitely works when you need it to work, be aware and stay safe.During rush hour though, with the traffic, i can usually get there faster with my bike.
Old 02-08-24, 06:04 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
What is the point of going car-free, if you are just going to consume electrical power with an electric, low-powered motorcycle? I don't get it.
Old 02-10-24, 05:14 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
What is the point of going car-free, if you are just going to consume electrical power with an electric, low-powered motorcycle? I don't get it.
LA gas prices are the highest in America, and with carjackings and break-ins going through the roof, insurance ain’t getting any cheaper, not to mention California’s car registration and smog inspection fees. If the commuting distance is less than 20 miles, a bike is a good option. The weather is good, except during the winter rainy season, so not a bad place to ride.