Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Handlebars make me feel like I have a new bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-22, 10:12 PM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

In a lot of parts and tools I picked up yesterday was a pair of Nitto Dream bars in 42cm. I had Compass Rando bars in 44cm, but found that I was constantly making adjustments with my seat or handlebars, ever so slightly on every ride. I threw on the Dreams and that flat bar made my palms level taking tension off of my shoulder allowing my back and hips to loosen, making my ride more comfortable and more enjoyable. I think I was quicker too, No knee pain and I was able to get a subtle bend in my elbows. I had no idea so much would change with a different handlebar shape.
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 08-29-22, 02:05 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have become a big fan of Velo-Orange Porteur bars, now on 2 bikes. I have 1 set up with a downslope, and 1 with a rise. Both with brifters, allows for a lot of hand positions and easy access to braking and shifting with little hand movement. They have really helped with neck, shoulder, hand issues, and even more so, my arthritic thumbs. They have pretty much been taken out of the equation. I still have a couple of bikes with drop bars, but some days they really cause pain in my thumbs, especially the left one.
Since putting the Porteur bars on my Airborne Zeppelin and Poprad, they are the 2 bikes I ride most. The Zeppelin has become my number one; light, nimble and fast, smooth operation, and highly comfortable.
Old 08-29-22, 06:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,474 Times in 1,835 Posts

Possibly Nitto Dream bars ...

Possibly Velo-Orange Porteur bars
Old 08-29-22, 08:23 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Most bikes with proper frame size for me come with 44cm bars. Swapping them out for 42cm bars made for a great improvement on my gravel bike, as did installing a longer stem. I agree: customizing the bars to fit makes it feel like a different bike. It helps if you have another bike that fits better to serve as a guide before buying new parts.
Old 08-29-22, 08:50 AM
Lbxpdx

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Most bikes with proper frame size for me come with 44cm bars. Swapping them out for 42cm bars made for a great improvement on my gravel bike, as did installing a longer stem. I agree: customizing the bars to fit makes it feel like a different bike. It helps if you have another bike that fits better to serve as a guide before buying new parts.
A few months ago I bought an 85 Schwinn Voyageur and the stock bars are 39cm. They looked way to narrow and I figured I’d replace them ASAP, but felt great.
Old 08-30-22, 09:07 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 447 Posts
The wrong bars make it difficult for me to relax my shoulders sometimes. For drop bars, I much prefer straight tops to curved ones. I had my old Campion del Mundo in 38cm, tried a Criterium in a 44cm (almost like a track bar - the curved tops slope down), now have Giro de Italia in 42cm. I'd get 40cm, I think, in a do-over, but they're pretty comfortable as they are, with 2cm less drop than the del Mundo but the same straight, square-rish tops.

I've tried four Soma bars on my brother's Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.. The Sparrow and the Clarence (less angled back) I liked more than the Oxford or the Mustache (more angled back). None really have actual alternative hand positions - I can grip the risers awkwardly, or drape my hands over the controls, but that's about it. So, now I'm trying something completely different:

Nitto butterfly bars

So far, so good.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 08-31-22, 05:59 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I'm old school. Cinelli 65 Criterium bars for me. The handlebar of Champions!
Old 08-31-22, 10:53 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
I'm old school. Cinelli 65 Criterium bars for me. The handlebar of Champions!
Young champions. Later in life they use 64's. And then they give up the drops entirely for something usable. Bullhorns work fine for me and I feel no shame for not having drops. My antique back and neck are much happier and the massive weight savings on the bars - well, hahaha