Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Clutch on GRX derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 05:42 PM
Zebra Tempest

Bikes: 1986 Zebra Tempest, 2021 Jamis Renegde S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Clutch on GRX derailleur

Hello,

I have a 2021 Jamis Renegade. I just noticed that there is this clutch lever on the derailleur to turn on/off the clutch.

I see that I should turn the clutch off to remove the rear wheel.

Is there any reasons to ever ride with the clutch off?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 11-03-21, 05:50 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,596 Times in 3,782 Posts
Except for when I need to remove the rear wheel, I never turn mine off.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-03-21, 06:12 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Same here, but GRX works so well I doubt you'd have much issue if you wanted to ride with it off unless you are hitting something really rough.
Old 11-03-21, 06:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Shifting feels heavier/harder with the clutch on. If this difference is noticable and negative for you, then maybe turning g the clutch off is good for some riding for you.

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/01/do-c...rain-friction/
It isnt less efficient to keep the clutch on.

For me, I bet I benefit from the clutch on 5% of my riding.
If I do a 60/40 ride with gravel majority, I don't need the clutch for any of thr paved riding and any time I am pedaling on the gravel. Basically, it's beneficial on gravel downhill segments where I coast.
Old 11-03-21, 08:30 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I keep the clutch off unless I will be riding on really rough roads. I just know I would forget it was on when I needed to remove the wheel. The clutch does it job when riding on the rough stuff.
Old 11-03-21, 10:10 PM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
The real question that may help you answer the question for yourself is, do you understand what the clutch does?
I never turn the clutch off on any of my bikes, as I don't see it being that much of a problem when its on.
Old 11-04-21, 12:10 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Same....sometimes I forget to re-engage it when I put thew wheel back on, and then my chain reminds me when I get to the ruff stuff. No reason to ever ride with it disengaged, unless you only ride "smooth" asphalt/tarmac.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 11-04-21, 06:01 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
My first clutch derailleur was a Shimano XT 1x11 on my hardtail mountain bike. During the first two years of its use, I kept getting debris (mostly twigs, branches and leaves) jammed in the derailleur which resulted in the derailleur getting torn off. I had never ripped off a rear derailleur in my previous three decades of mountain biking. Now, I possess no technical knowledge to back this up, but I was convinced that with the clutch "on," it prevented the derailleur from springing back and spitting out the debris, or at least giving me the opportunity to stop and remove it. I also could feel more friction when pedaling with the clutch on. I now leave the clutch "off" all the time on the mountain bike.

I have two gravel bikes with GRX rear derailleurs. I have not noticed the added friction with the clutch on, like I did with the mountain bike group. I do a lot of bushwhacking with my gravel bikes, which sometimes involves trails with deep leaves, twigs and branches. So, I leave the clutch "off," just in case my theory about endangering the rear derailleur is correct. I really don't notice any difference in performance with either setting.

I understand the need for the clutch with full suspension bikes where the effective chain stay length is constantly changing, but is it really necessary on a bike without suspension? I ride a lot of rough stuff with my gravel bikes, but I never really notice any chain slap. (Probably because I'm an old fat guy and don't go fast enough!)

Maybe someone with actual bike knowledge can comment on my half-assed theory.
Old 11-04-21, 10:31 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Dont forget that the clutch is adjustable by removing the plastic cover.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-04-21, 10:42 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 442 Posts
I usually road ride to trails and prefer the clutch off since shifting is a bit smoother. When I arrive to the trails I turn it on.
Old 11-04-21, 12:27 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
In terms of shifting performance, feel, noise level, etc I notice a little difference when the bike is in the stand. It's noisier and the shifting is a little heavier with the clutch "on" vs "off". When I'm out riding I can't tell any difference. I leave it "on" all the time (unless I forget).

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore

I understand the need for the clutch with full suspension bikes where the effective chain stay length is constantly changing, but is it really necessary on a bike without suspension? I ride a lot of rough stuff with my gravel bikes, but I never really notice any chain slap. (Probably because I'm an old fat guy and don't go fast enough!)
A clutched RD also helps prevent chain drops. This is more important on a 1x setup, especially without a chain catcher. If you're running 2x with a FD, it's less of an issue.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 11-04-21, 02:44 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
A clutched RD also helps prevent chain drops. This is more important on a 1x setup, especially without a chain catcher. If you're running 2x with a FD, it's less of an issue.
Still helps with the "ghost" shifts on the rougher terrain, at least for me it has.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 11-04-21, 03:08 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If I forget to turn on the clutch on my fat bike the chain slap on the chainstay is astonishing, and the chain will eventually jump off the chainring in the front.
Old 11-05-21, 08:45 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
I turn the clutch off when I'm on the road, but keep it on when on gravel of any sort
Likes For Beach Bob: