Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 02:08 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Lock

A co-worker got his bike stolen at work today. He made the mistake of locking it outside and somehow, it wasn't there at the end of the day. What is a good lock this group can recommend for a commuter?
Old 10-01-21, 02:39 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Depends on where he is. Places with high rates of bike theft will likely require far heavier locks than places with lower rates of bike theft.
What type of lock did he use that proved ineffective so that we have a place to start?
Old 10-02-21, 04:16 AM
Colorado Kid

It was a cable lock with cheap key lock. I don't know the name brand but I don't think it was expensive one.
Old 10-02-21, 05:54 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
In general:

Heavier offers more protection.

Most commuters find a way to leave their destination lock at the destination to avoid carrying the weight.

The most commonly recommended styles are U-locks and chain/padlock. Use to connect frame and wheels to secure object.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-02-21, 10:07 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I've been using an Abus Granit X-Plus 54 Mini to lock my bike up in NYC for several hours at a time with no issue. The mini size limits me to only using skinnier posts to lock up to but they make a full size one too. Kryptonite is another brand to consider.

Anything with a cable can be easily cut and stolen.
Likes For sdimattia:
Old 10-04-21, 02:13 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
The heavier the lock, the harder it is for the thief, but also more weight for you to carry. I use the Kryptonite NY Legend chain and a NY fahgetaboudit U-lock, when I go into areas with no security locks. That's 21lbs and $270 of lock I have to carry. And you will read if you do research that even 21lbs of lock can be sawed through given time. Such is urban living!
Old 10-04-21, 09:12 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,644 Times in 950 Posts
U-lock

In 2010 my hybrid was stolen at the community college. Cheap cable lock. Was no problem for most of the semester, then one night it was gone.

The security guy told me to use a U-lock. He said they hadn't had a case where bikes locked with a U-lock was stolen. I got one and with one exception that was true for me.

The one exception the U-lock wouldn't fit around the pole I wanted to lock to. So the U-lock locked the rear wheel to the frame and cheap cable lock around the frame and pole. When I came out the bike was gone.

Trying to be more careful now.
Old 10-04-21, 09:30 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Yeah the minimum is a thick chain with a serious lock. Cable locks if you have line of sight and can chase down the bastard who tries to steal your bike. There are longer U locks but then someone with a portable grinder will saw through that in 2 minutes.
I also unhook the QR on the front wheel and undo the seat post QR or hex bolt. But that's more to slow them down. Worked for me more than a few times. Just have to remember to redo everything!!!
Originally Posted by locolobo13
The one exception the U-lock wouldn't fit around the pole I wanted to lock to. So the U-lock locked the rear wheel to the frame and cheap cable lock around the frame and pole. When I came out the bike was gone.

Trying to be more careful now.
Old 10-04-21, 09:41 AM
Frank S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
1. Big, heavy U lock, plus big, heavy chain. Leave them at work.

2. Ride a bike that is decent, but not desirable to thieves.
Likes For Frank S:
Old 10-04-21, 04:02 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
As was mentioned, make sure the bike is locked to something well anchored and secure. Parking meter? Life the bike off and take off with it!
Old 10-13-21, 09:24 AM
badger11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use the fattest U-lock you can find and secure it to a solid metal post
Any lock is breechable. It's a matter of how long it takes.
This looks promising but @ ~$500 CND it's the price of a new lock.
Google search kickstarter Hiplok d1000
Old 10-14-21, 12:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
wonder if he can file a claim & recoup some of the cost of another bike?
Old 10-15-21, 04:33 AM
Colorado Kid

I've talked to him about filing a claim with someone. He figures the bike wasn't worth anything so why bother. (He bought it years ago at a year sale for $40.00 USD.) It was a old Huffy that looked like ....! Why anyone would want to steal that is crazy. IHO. Anyway, my co-worker went to the Co-Op and found something for next to nothing. I've got to check out the local Co-Op someday soon. Good place to pick up parts for not a lot of money. Might sign up to help out.
Old 10-15-21, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I've talked to him about filing a claim with someone. He figures the bike wasn't worth anything so why bother. (He bought it years ago at a year sale for $40.00 USD.) It was a old Huffy that looked like ....! Why anyone would want to steal that is crazy. IHO. Anyway, my co-worker went to the Co-Op and found something for next to nothing. I've got to check out the local Co-Op someday soon. Good place to pick up parts for not a lot of money. Might sign up to help out.
awww, well sometimes a bike's worth isn't measured in dollars. good luck & you're a great guy for helping him
Old 10-15-21, 08:05 AM
rumrunn6

related? I bought my first new car, on my own. a 1986 4Runner which my buddy & I installed a soft-top on. 30 days after, I drove to NY to show it to my Dad. the next morning, he woke me up & asked me where I parked it. both of us ran down to the front porch in our boxers staring at an empty driveway. it was stolen. took the train back home to Somerville & the a/c dripped on me the whole way back. when I got home, I rode my Frankenstein bike to Harvard Square & bought the dam biggest case hardened chain & lock the hardware store had. must have weighed 20 lbs. twirled it around the seat post & that was my transportation until I got the insurance money. I was determined no one was gonna steal the old beater bike that I pieced together from parts I found on the streets of Boston, including the frame which I had spray painted yellow for safety. that old thing had become priceless to me
Likes For rumrunn6: