Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are Climbing Wheels Funner to Ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are Climbing Wheels Funner to Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 10:56 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Get this.

Watch this:thisGo to 2:00 if you're in a hurry.
Thanks for posting that - ordered one today. Have done the business card method a few times with meh results, so hopefully this will do the trick.

Old 04-10-24, 11:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6985 Post(s)
Liked 10,978 Times in 4,698 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Thanks for posting that - ordered one today. Have done the business card method a few times with meh results, so hopefully this will do the trick.
You're welcome! A tip: I started by trying to shove it in from the front...but it seems to work better if you insert it from the back of the caliper. Get each side pinched tightly against the rim sidewall, then turn the wheel forward until the tool's blades are fully in-between the brake pads and the rim sidewalls. Then torque down the caliper.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-10-24, 12:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,207 Times in 693 Posts
Get this.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 04-10-24, 12:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10447 Post(s)
Liked 11,932 Times in 6,106 Posts
Huh. I've never had the business card trick fail to yield rub-free caliper alignment. And since I have nearly 500 obsolete business cards, I'm gonna stick with that. Looks like a slick tool, though!!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 04-10-24, 02:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked 1,718 Times in 1,037 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Since my rides are not like walking to and from school back in the day -- you know, uphill both ways -- I ordered the deeper Roval Rapide CL II. I am really looking forward to upping my cruising speed from 16.8 mph to 17.3 mph.

$1,349 + tax with free shipping for these wheels is not bad, even though I had to order each wheel separately from a different store.
Yeah, that is a good price on those. Aren't they usually ~1.8k? Good all 'round road wheel specs from a reliably top brand. Nice!
Old 04-10-24, 02:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked 1,478 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Huh. I've never had the business card trick fail to yield rub-free caliper alignment. And since I have nearly 500 obsolete business cards, I'm gonna stick with that. Looks like a slick tool, though!!
The business card trick works better with clean, cut up credit cards or airline mileage ID cards, one strip on either side of the rotor. Just don't use the sections with embossed text. The additional thickness forces the pads back into the caliper like a brake pad spreader.

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, that is a good price on those. Aren't they usually ~1.8k? Good all 'round road wheel specs from a reliably top brand. Nice!
Indeed!
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-10-24, 03:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

The business card trick works better with clean, cut up credit cards or airline mileage ID cards, one strip on either side of the rotor. Just don't use the sections with embossed text. The additional thickness forces the pads back into the caliper like a brake pad spreader.
Mine are unembossed, thick business cards. I fold one over, remove the wheel, put the card over it - no cutting - and put it the wheel back into the dropouts/roto back between the pads. Loosen the bolts, squeeze the lever and while holding it, tighten the bolts so the caliper won't move. Then release the lever, torque the bolts down, remove the wheel, remove the card, replace the wheel. Works (for me) everytime.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 03:14 PM
Koyote

Mine are unembossed, thick business cards. I fold one over, remove the wheel, put the card over it - no cutting - and put it the wheel back into the dropouts/roto back between the pads. Loosen the bolts, squeeze the lever and while holding it, tighten the bolts so the caliper won't move. Then release the lever, torque the bolts down, remove the wheel, remove the card, replace the wheel. Works (for me) everytime.
Sure, but you're missing the opportunity to spend money on another tool.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-10-24, 03:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Sure, but you're missing the opportunity to spend money on another tool.
I'd only lose it and have to order another one, which would lead to me finding it again the day the package arrived.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-10-24, 03:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I'd only lose it and have to order another one, which would lead to me finding it again the day the package arrived.
I would find the tool as soon as it becomes too late to cancel the order for its replacement.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-10-24, 04:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,006 Posts
Sorry... you lost me with the Specialized on Cannondale thing from the get-go.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-10-24, 04:42 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sorry... you lost me with the Specialized on Cannondale thing from the get-go.
Needs must.
Old 04-11-24, 03:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by talkingspree
Climbing wheels can definitely add a fun element to your ride, especially if you enjoy tackling challenging terrain or climbing hills. These specialized wheels are designed to be lightweight and aerodynamic, making it easier to ascend steep gradients with less effort. The feeling of conquering a tough climb with climbing wheels can be incredibly satisfying and rewarding, which adds to the enjoyment of your ride. Additionally, the reduced weight and improved aerodynamics can also enhance your overall performance and speed, making for a more exhilarating cycling experience. So yes, for many cyclists, climbing wheels can indeed be "funner" to ride!
First post from "talkingspree" - 87% AI generated. An ill portent.
Old 04-11-24, 10:30 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Trakhak
First post from "talkingspree" - 87% AI generated. An ill portent.
I wouldn't worry till an AI starts arguing and can't stop responding. Then we'll never know it from one of us.

Old 04-11-24, 11:02 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10177 Post(s)
Liked 5,874 Times in 3,162 Posts
Get this.

Might be user error, but it hasn't worked very well for me. I often have to remove the pads, squoosh the pistons in all the way with a tire lever, and let them reset to the rotor position.
Old 04-11-24, 11:03 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

In case anyone else is shopping for wheels ...

Reserve 34|37 (DT 240 EXP) are on sale at Excel Sports for $1,479. I came close to ordering these when Maelochs suggested mid-depth wheels, but DT 240 EXP freehub makes such a racket. If Reserve 40|44 (DT 240 EXP) were on sale for the same price, then it would have been a difficult call.

Roval Alpinists are on sale at Excel Sports for $568 (F) + $792 (R) = $1,360.

Roval Rapide (rear only) is on sale at Excel Sports for $769 (25% off MSRP), but I must have ordered one of the last two, because it now shows out of stock, ETA 4/30. The front is not on sale anywhere but I managed to find a 20% off online code at Brands Cycle.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 04-21-24 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 11:04 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Might be user error, but it hasn't worked very well for me. I often have to remove the pads, squoosh the pistons in all the way with a tire lever, and let them reset to the rotor position.
I wonder if your pistons need to be cleaned and lubed?
Old 04-11-24, 11:08 AM
MoAlpha
• —

I wonder if your pistons need to be cleaned and lubed?
Occasionally yes, but I don't think that's always the cause. Anyway, shouldn't the tool work in that case, at least temporarily?
Old 04-11-24, 11:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
The question is: shallower climbing wheels or deeper race wheels?
The shallow rim wheel will likely be lighter than the deep-profile race wheels, but less aerodynamic. But the advantage of aerodynamics falls off with reduced speed, while the advantage of light weight is the same regardless of speed. So, which is better depends on the riding you do.
Old 04-11-24, 12:33 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Occasionally yes, but I don't think that's always the cause. Anyway, shouldn't the tool work in that case, at least temporarily?
Yeah, you're right, it should. I guess tolerances (pad to rotor clearance, pad and rotor wear, etc) must play a role.
Old 04-11-24, 12:47 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
For me, light wheels are always more fun to ride. They are often shallower, which makes them feel lively and "springy" which I really find makes riding more fun. Stiff deep wheels feel dead to me. Light are much nicer on climbs since they spin up fast and don't get buffeted around as much as deeper wheels on the windy mountain passes. Mostly though, they just feel nicer to ride. One thing about Specialized wheels- I find a lot of them pretty stiff. ZIPP 303 FCs have that springy light feel. The somewhat similar ENVE Foundation 45s (I sold mine due to this) feels stiff and dead but the ENVE 3.4 feels nicer (not as nice as the ZIPPs). I have not ridden the super light Specialized climbing wheels yet. They look and sound awesome though. You should get them.
Old 04-11-24, 01:18 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Yeah, you're right, it should. I guess tolerances (pad to rotor clearance, pad and rotor wear, etc) must play a role.
I really only have problems with on wheel one one bike (can't remember back or front) and I suspect it's something about the caliper mount, but don't ask me for a detailed theory of how. The pads also wear asymmetrically. Fortunately, I don't switch wheels that often.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-11-24, 01:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The shallow rim wheel will likely be lighter than the deep-profile race wheels, but less aerodynamic. But the advantage of aerodynamics falls off with reduced speed, while the advantage of light weight is the same regardless of speed. So, which is better depends on the riding you do.
That is true with the caveat, as chaadster noted above, that one must consider air speed rather than ground speed. Aerodynamic benefits of deeper wheels may be pronounced even when plodding slowly uphill into a strong headwind.

Originally Posted by Chandne
For me, light wheels are always more fun to ride. They are often shallower, which makes them feel lively and "springy" which I really find makes riding more fun. Stiff deep wheels feel dead to me. Light are much nicer on climbs since they spin up fast and don't get buffeted around as much as deeper wheels on the windy mountain passes. Mostly though, they just feel nicer to ride. One thing about Specialized wheels- I find a lot of them pretty stiff. ZIPP 303 FCs have that springy light feel. The somewhat similar ENVE Foundation 45s (I sold mine due to this) feels stiff and dead but the ENVE 3.4 feels nicer (not as nice as the ZIPPs). I have not ridden the super light Specialized climbing wheels yet. They look and sound awesome though. You should get them.
This is a great description and better than what I have been trying to articulate for most of this thread. Fortunately, even given this past winter, I don't think Orange County would ever be as windy as the Denver area. (Not that I have ridden there. I am just going by the number of turbulent landings at DEN I have experienced.)

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 04-11-24 at 01:35 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-11-24, 01:49 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4435 Post(s)
Liked 4,885 Times in 3,025 Posts
Whenever I read reviews about wheels spinning up much faster I imagine them detached from the rest of the bike and rider. In this case 200g of wheel mass represents around 0.4% of the total mass being accelerated (I’ve even doubled it for rotating mass). So any feeling of faster wheel spin up is imaginary. Lighter wheels might “feel” different but they don’t spin up appreciably faster. Not within the range of weights being discussed in this thread.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-11-24, 02:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Whenever I read reviews about wheels spinning up much faster I imagine them detached from the rest of the bike and rider. In this case 200g of wheel mass represents around 0.4% of the total mass being accelerated (I’ve even doubled it for rotating mass). So any feeling of faster wheel spin up is imaginary. Lighter wheels might “feel” different but they don’t spin up appreciably faster. Not within the range of weights being discussed in this thread.
Whenever I read gear reviews filled with subjective, unquantifiable, nonsense like that, I reflect on 3.5 decades of getting my ass hazed over the tiniest chances of unblinding in human studies. Of course, I also have my own feelings about wheels.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.