Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Accessories and bags for a vintage mixte?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Accessories and bags for a vintage mixte?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-24, 07:26 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 1981 Fuji S12-S Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Hey everyone! I got the Velo Orange thin straps and found a super shiny bottle cage that works with it:

It looks great and works great! I’m still looking for bags and accessories, and in the meantime have a basic repair kit in a cheap Lidl seat bag.

Thanks for all the help and ideas!
Likes For jemaleddin:
Old 04-21-24, 09:20 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
imo the major advantage of the step through is that you can run a rear basket and not have to swing a leg over it.
rack, basket and zip ties to attach are all inexpensive. Put things like pots of basil or a baguette in it to add style points.

my mums bike:

(baskets would be bigger but they have to fit through a series of anti-motorbike gates)

Attaching the upper stays with p-clamps is perfectly fine on your bike, but there are also lots of older racks which attach at the top behind the brake bolt.
Likes For Soody:
Old 04-22-24, 07:19 AM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Originally Posted by Soody
imo the major advantage of the step through is that you can run a rear basket and not have to swing a leg over it.
rack, basket and zip ties to attach are all inexpensive. Put things like pots of basil or a baguette in it to add style points...
Oh wow, that looks really good! Now looking for chrome-looking rear-racks for 27" wheels... 😀
Old 04-22-24, 08:12 AM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

(I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but...)

Does anyone know who supplied accessories for Fuji bikes in the 80? I've been looking at the "broad range of convenience and safety accessories" from the 1981 catalog and wondering about the two rear racks I think I see, as well as what's up with the baskets? Getting a specific vintage rack seems like it might be tricky, but also worth a shot?

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
large_1981_27_Accessories_2.jpg (128.0 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-23-24, 12:14 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
rack, basket and zip ties to attach are all inexpensive. Put things like pots of basil or a baguette in it to add style points.
At a certain age not having to swing your leg over the rear rack and saddle is a super-duper major advantage, especially with less than healthy knees.
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 04-23-24, 10:43 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by jemaleddin
(I'm not sure if I should start a new thread, but...)

Does anyone know who supplied accessories for Fuji bikes in the 80? I've been looking at the "broad range of convenience and safety accessories" from the 1981 catalog and wondering about the two rear racks I think I see, as well as what's up with the baskets? Getting a specific vintage rack seems like it might be tricky, but also worth a shot?

Anyone have any ideas?
There were a couple common types of racks back in the 80s. One is the spring loaded Pletscher rack, which looks like the one in the advertisement. https://www.ebay.com/itm/29552930292...mis&media=COPY

The other is the Blackburn type, which I think is cleaner and more useful. https://www.ebay.com/itm/25645416272...mis&media=COPY
Old 04-25-24, 10:06 AM
daywood 

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 100 Posts
For my mixte tandem, I used the strap-on mounts from department-store Bell bottle cages. They sit securely between the mixte tubes when cinched down, and they have the normal arrangement of bolt holes for mounting the cage of your choice.

I use rivnuts to make bottle bosses where there are none. Unfortunately, I don’t think they would work for you because you’d have to mount them well up on your seat tube where they’d interfere with your seat post. Although you might be able to drill holes for them into your down tube using a low-clearance angle drill . . .

As for bags, I’m really liking this Swift Coyote bag that riverdrifter put me onto. Velo-Orange makes some nifty bag mounting loops that attach to your seat rails to emulate the bag-attachments loops that Brooks saddles have. I have a smaller burrito bag on the bars. Between the two of them I can carry a lot of stuff.

Last edited by daywood; 04-25-24 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Mo’ stuff.
Likes For daywood:
Old 04-25-24, 10:13 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,867 Times in 683 Posts
A different take…

On my Colnago tandem, the stoker has no water bottle bosses. Plus the twin diagonal smaller tubes like a mixte.

I used two thin top clamps meant for a kick stand, ran a recessed brake bolt nut between them and attached the water bottle cage to all that which holds the whole thing together.

I also lined the clamp with electrical tape to avoid scratches.

I’ll look for a pic.
Old 04-26-24, 09:13 PM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Topeak Versamounts and many types of mounts are available for water bottles. I have a frame I have yet to build up like the photo below and you can see where the bosses for water bottles are located. You can find various mounts for water bottle cages on Amazon, eBay bike shops and various other places and put bottles where you want them.
Likes For Ciufalon: