Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute Addiction

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commute Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 12:25 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
Commute Addiction

"Hi, my name is Thigh, and I'm an addict." I've recently been appreciating having a neighbor who also commutes - about once a week we bump into one another and share our latest commute story, equipment issue, average speed, mishaps, etc. I also love it when one of us is already home watching the other one pull in from work on the bike. What is it about commuting on a bike on a regular basis that is such a special joy to share???

We all have our stories - I have been addicted to commuting since high school (I think I was a bit infatuated with the character in "Breaking Away"). I had saved up $200 and my Dad thought I would buy my first car - instead I bought a black, steel, Ross Super Grand Tour. My commute from Zionsville to Witham Hospital was 18 miles one-way and I loved the hot summer ride through the corn fields. Later, I went to Purdue and often rode home 55 miles on the weekend. I also commuted in Boulder, Colorado for many years, and now, almost 30 years since my first, official commute (and two bikes later) I am lucky enough to have the perfect 30-minute ride to work on a safe, smooth piece of pavement called Foothill Expressway. Apologies for babbling on...
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 11-25-09, 01:37 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have a commuting neighbor that I trade stories with too, although I never ride with him. He gets up way too early ;-)

It does have an addictive quality to it and I'm not sure I know exactly why. Part of it for me is that I like to tinker with things and bikes are a lot simpler than cars to tinker with. It's also cheaper to keep a spare so I can be working on one and still have another available to ride on.
Likes For tjspiel:
Old 11-25-09, 02:37 PM
asphalt junkie
Numb Member

Bikes: 06 Jamis Quest, 09 Surly LHT, Cannondale mtn. bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife says I'm addicted to biking, particularly since I started commuting and spending so much time on preparation, maintenance and equipment, etc. Taking the computer to bed at night to chat on the bike forum doesn't help. In fact she's looking at me that way right now and it's the middle of the day. Some of my coworkers are curious about my biking obsession but most are dismissive, particularly as it gets darker and colder. The guy is clearly nuts... which is what I would have thought a couple years ago. I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.
Likes For asphalt junkie:
Old 11-25-09, 02:44 PM
Indie

Bikes: 1976 20" folding Triumph Trafficmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend not to talk to people on the commute. But I love the fresh air, the control over route and speed, the relative regularity of travel time when compared to the subway. I get incredibly cranky when I start riding the subway in the winter.
Old 11-25-09, 02:56 PM
daven1986

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You've only had 2 bikes in 30 years? What happened to N+1?

I talk to a guy down my road about commuting - he commutes by bike too. It is good to have someone to chat to IRL about your hobby and to share it!
Likes For daven1986:
Old 11-25-09, 02:57 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asphalt junkie
My wife says I'm addicted to biking, particularly since I started commuting and spending so much time on preparation, maintenance and equipment, etc. Taking the computer to bed at night to chat on the bike forum doesn't help. In fact she's looking at me that way right now and it's the middle of the day. Some of my coworkers are curious about my biking obsession but most are dismissive, particularly as it gets darker and colder. The guy is clearly nuts... which is what I would have thought a couple years ago. I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.
Exactly
Old 11-25-09, 05:05 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
... I moderate my addiction by driving into work now and then. But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it.
Your're right... adventure is a huge part of it. I also like your avatar, asphalt junkie, part of my initial inspiration. The Italian parts of the breaking Away soundtrack still get my legs going.
Old 11-25-09, 05:47 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thigh Master
Apologies for babbling on...
Apologies not necessary....we understand. I too have been proudly addicted for a long time now.
Likes For daredevil:
Old 11-25-09, 07:43 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think we all have those stories and love to share. And that is one of the nicest places to commute. As much as I love being home on the East Coast, commuting on the Peninsula was awesome.
Likes For BigDaddyPete:
Old 11-25-09, 08:01 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
There is this one real fast guy I share a big part of my route with, but I only see him every now and again. I usually keep a chill pace on my commute, 17-18, while he seems to ride at 100%. When he passes me I try to pick up my pace and ride with him until we split off.

Just a couple days ago I had to stop at the art store on my route and there he was! He gives me a high five as if he has known me for a long time, then takes off. I talked with some of the employees and they tell me he works at the store, his name, and how far his commute is. I feel like I made a new friend, but I have to actually have a conversation with him next time.
Likes For hairnet:
Old 11-25-09, 08:13 PM
akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
When I was four years old I rode my tricycle to the strip mall which was about 2 miles away. I didn't make it all the way back because they my mother called the police when she couldn't find me. They never believed I had ridden all the way to the mall and was on my way home when they caught me when I was almost home. That was, I guess, my first "commute." I've never stopped. It is strange when I talk to people who took up cycling again as an adult ... I just cannot imagine why they stopped in the first place ...
Likes For akohekohe:
Old 11-25-09, 10:05 PM
denny.weinmann

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've recently moved to the east coast (south east CT) from Kansas. I've been bikeless for awhile, as someone decided to steal my bike a month before I moved. But I purchased a new bike after arriving and I had my first commute via bike to work today and it was wonderful. Wet, but wonderful! I feel that addiction coming on already! I also feel that I need to get some fenders real soon!
Likes For denny.weinmann:
Old 11-25-09, 10:08 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I hate meeting people on a commute. It usually means I have to slow down to their pace and have a friendly chat, or it means if I'm going slightly faster than them, they feel the need to draft me. Just go away, I dont wanna talk to anyone.
Likes For mustang1:
Old 11-25-09, 10:16 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustang1
I hate meeting people on a commute. It usually means I have to slow down to their pace and have a friendly chat, or it means if I'm going slightly faster than them, they feel the need to draft me. Just go away, I dont wanna talk to anyone.
You have had someone draft you on your commute more than once? Actually, that's kind of funny...sorry.
Old 11-27-09, 08:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
welcome to the pack

30 minutes one way on a safe, smooth piece of pavement called Foothill Expressway sounds like a cakewalk and I am envious! :-) any pics? at what speed do the cars travel? what are your current commute temps? be honest I can take it. :-)
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-27-09, 09:07 AM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I indeed think the most overlooked benefit of commuting, is that it can really be an adventure.

I noticed this as of late when I've been riding a lot at night home from work, with all my lights, blinkers, reflectives, finding various detours that are faster/slower, dealing with the vagaries of various speeds of traffic, etc.

For sure, the fun of the whole problem-solving and even exploring aspect of commuting has become the reason I do it. I don't do it for fitness (I race, and my commute riding is too slow to be considered fitness for me), economy, or environment. I do it now because it's fun, and feels like an adventure - especially at night, when I can get all my commute gear going!

I actually don't think I'd enjoy a 30 minute straight stretch in a big bike lane anymore for commuting...
Likes For agarose2000:
Old 11-27-09, 10:18 AM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Indie
I tend not to talk to people on the commute. But I love the fresh air, the control over route and speed, the relative regularity of travel time when compared to the subway. I get incredibly cranky when I start riding the subway in the winter.
Get a winter beater and avoid cranky?
Old 11-27-09, 02:15 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
Ha! That's funny.I know your pain. Those guys in t-shirts and cut offs tailgaiting us are very annoying.
Likes For capejohn:
Old 11-27-09, 10:07 PM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is it crazy that the more adverse the weather, the more I enjoy the commute? We don't get the cold and snow here, but I've ridden in some pretty crazy storms. Had a lady roll down her window and tell me I was crazy once during a driving rain and 35mph constant wind.

That made my week.
Likes For cyclefreaksix:
Old 11-27-09, 11:59 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know that I'm addicted.....as such..

but i do find I get sickly and cranky when i can't don't , for any extended time.

like now.
Likes For coldfeet:
Old 11-28-09, 09:10 AM
cyclefreaksix

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
I don't know that I'm addicted.....as such..

but i do find I get sickly and cranky when i can't don't , for any extended time.

like now.

The first step is admitting that you have a problem. Come on say it with me, " My name is Coldfeet, and I am a commuting addict".

There, that wasn't so hard now was it?
Likes For cyclefreaksix:
Old 11-28-09, 11:20 AM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
< snip > But it's unsatisfying. There's no adventure in it. < snip >
While I'll admit the daily city ride is not an adventure, but rather a "trial" of me versus driver's who are trying to get into their coffee places (some of the worst places I cross) or getting on or off the expressway (the ultra worst bicycling spots ever) ... however getting out on the roadie and letting the legs stretch for many miles is awesome - and I just cleaned up the offroader and got it ready for the snow - which is also wonderful (course I say that now - ask me again in March, hehe).

And today is the day that I'm switching tires out on the commuter - I have a mtb - and for now it's going back to a knobby tire for this week and will probably install the studded tires next week ... afterall - Tiz the Season!
Old 11-28-09, 12:30 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Hello, my name is Joe and I'm a commuting addict.

God grant me the serenity to change gears or outerwear when I must, to accept the things I cannot change about fellow road users, and the wisdom to know the difference in weather that may occur by the time the evening commute comes around.
Old 11-30-09, 03:45 PM
asphalt junkie
Numb Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thigh Master
Your're right... adventure is a huge part of it. I also like your avatar, asphalt junkie, part of my initial inspiration. The Italian parts of the breaking Away soundtrack still get my legs going.
I started getting serious about biking after that movie, though I never raced. By serious I mean I've always owned a couple, have done some touring and generally bike for exercise. Been a while since I saw that. Just put it atop my Netflix queue. Thanks!
Old 11-30-09, 03:54 PM
asphalt junkie
Numb Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tude
While I'll admit the daily city ride is not an adventure, but rather a "trial" of me versus driver's who are trying to get into their coffee places (some of the worst places I cross) or getting on or off the expressway (the ultra worst bicycling spots ever) ... however getting out on the roadie and letting the legs stretch for many miles is awesome - and I just cleaned up the offroader and got it ready for the snow - which is also wonderful (course I say that now - ask me again in March, hehe).

And today is the day that I'm switching tires out on the commuter - I have a mtb - and for now it's going back to a knobby tire for this week and will probably install the studded tires next week ... afterall - Tiz the Season!
A lot of toil and trial, no doubt. But over the course of many months it adds up to an adventure of sorts, I think. Particularly doing it year-round or something close to it. It takes planning, determination, guts, highly specialized equipment and a bit of crazed obsession, mixed with more than just a small dose of the unexpected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.