Old 04-12-13, 10:04 AM
Konasutra

Bikes: Kona Sutra , Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Veronia,Or. to Astoria,Or.

Can anyone give me some input on the route. I am wanting to ride Rt.47 to Mist then Rt. 202 from there to Astoria. From what i have research Birkenfeld seems to be the last place to get any services, is this correst? Will be riding self-supported so any other needs I should have covered. From the Google Eath street view it looks as if this is a lightly traveled route. Correct? Any Info would be great.

Marc
Old 04-12-13, 06:12 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 385 Posts
Several of the recumbent gang ride this route on the way to the Recumbent Retreat: https://www.recumbentretreat.org/ . There aren't any services between Birkenfeld and the Olney Store (on 202 near Olney Cutoff Road), but Birkenfeld is a great place to fuel up. That's about 30 miles, so it's manageable. It's lightly traveled, but weekday traffic can include log trucks. It's better on weekends.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-12-13, 06:19 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Konasutra
Can anyone give me some input on the route. I am wanting to ride Rt.47 to Mist then Rt. 202 from there to Astoria. From what i have research Birkenfeld seems to be the last place to get any services, is this correct?
There is a "store" in Birkenfeld, but I wouldn't rely on it. It's got quite the limited hours now (I was out there last month and it opens at 11am) and it's more a bar/restaurant with a small amount of drinks and snack foods available. There is also a store in Olney, about 20 miles outside of Astoria, but it has limited hours as well (and I don't know what they are.) Stock up on everything you need in Vernonia, which has a modest grocery store, plus a coffee shop, a few restaurants, and a Subway.

Between Vernonia and Astoria you can refill water bottles at Jewell Meadows wildlife reserve. Big Eddy Park has water during the summer months, but the water tastes nasty. Also, there's a fish hatchery after Tidewater Summit (closer to Astoria), but I don't know about hours

Originally Posted by Konasutra
Will be riding self-supported so any other needs I should have covered. From the Google Earth street view it looks as if this is a lightly traveled route. Correct? Any Info would be great.
Yep, very lightly travelled for the most part. You'll find the most traffic around Vernonia and closer to Astoria. The middle is pretty empty, but you might run into more motorcycles than anything else on nice weekend days.

Did you check out these maps over here?
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transp...article/316549
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transp...article/316550
Old 04-15-13, 03:11 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You might want to skip that area during the Hood to Coast relay. Lots of pretty roads over there.
Old 04-15-13, 03:29 PM
Konasutra

Bikes: Kona Sutra , Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I got the maps printed out. We will be riding from Veronia to Astoria on a Sat. So think we will be good.