Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Rides - Last Weekend of November

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 03:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

How many of you are riding this weekend ... the last weekend of November? Only 1 more month of 2009 to go. There's nothing special going on in Australia or Canada, but I believe this might be Thanksgiving Weekend in the US.

So where are you riding this weekend???? Got pics?

Rowan and I will be driving to Geelong later today to do a ride tomorrow. I'll tell you about it when we get back.
Old 11-27-09, 04:21 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Oh, been having fun. Thanksgiving here in the US, you know, so I was off work Thursday and today.
Lessee...Yesterday, got up early, rode 20 miles, went to the inlaws and ate turkey, came back, and rode another 10 miles.
This morning- rode to a "casual pace ride", 14 miles to the ride start, 10 mile ride ("casual" meant 8 mph!), then rode back. Rode down to Walmart, and here in a bit will ride the tricycle down and watch some cyclocross racing near the house.
Tomorrow- will ride the bike shop ride in the morning, and do something else in the afternoon, not sure what, yet.
And, will be doing something Sunday, but not definite plans yet. Getting caught back up on my miles a little bit.
Old 11-27-09, 04:31 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 30 miles of mostly climbing on Thanksgiving Day. Great weather. Of course, it's a mixture of snow and rain today and tomorrow (Saturday). Sunday is supposed to be cloudy with highs in the mid 40s--nice cool riding conditions. I may get crazy and do 55 miles if I can get caught up on my deskwork. My goal is 1,000 miles since having two major surgeries in June and August, and I'm currently at Mile 910. So the pressure's on to git 'er done before it's time to break out the skis and start paying the plow guy.
Old 11-27-09, 05:15 PM
SharpStone30888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 71ks (44mi), usual route. Got a call mid ride, missed it. Saw it later but was in a bad place for reception. Gunned it to the next train station, then checked reception; rang up and scored myself some overtime later today Getting up early pays off (literally).

If I'm not to tired from work tonight I might do the same ride tomorrow; or just do some running to mix things up
Old 11-27-09, 05:16 PM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow (Sat) is supposed to be near 60 and sunny in the midwest US- so I'll definitely be out. Probably do 40-50, depending on how long it takes to get the Christmas lights up.
Old 11-27-09, 05:48 PM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife's quickly learning that that best way to get those little jobs done is to request that I do one before each ride. Which I do. Gladly.

You know what Red Green says:

I'm a man.
I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.
Old 11-27-09, 06:22 PM
Steve in MA

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in a hilly 25 miles on Thanksgiving itself, but I had to work today. Tomorrow doesn't look good....windy with the remnants of a rain storm. But Sunday should be a good day to get out. At a minimum, I'll take my hybrid for a ride down to the gym on Sunday to get in my morning workout; and then the plan is to get in 30 or so on my road bike in the afternoon. But that will depend on what else we've got going on.
Old 11-27-09, 08:12 PM
aggarcia

Bikes: 14 Ridely Noah RS, 09 Trek 2.1, 10 Trek 7.1 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left at sunrise 45 degrees. I rode 30 miles before getting a call from uncle about breakfast. I caved and we to eat, cutting my ride short to 32 miles total. I will ride 35-40 tomorrow am.
Old 11-27-09, 08:51 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
I went for a gentle 30km ride to test the modifications to the bike's seat. It was a lovely combination of drizzle mixed with light rain. I didn't bother even taking a camera with me. On the plus side, I think the seat mods are going to work.
Old 11-27-09, 08:55 PM
HamboneSlim
real far gone

Bikes: Motobécane Grand Record, Peugeot PR10, Gitane Gran Tourisme, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
S'posed to be chilly and blustery here tomorrow, and there's tons to do here, so I'll stay in the shop and make radiused doors and face frames, and turn a coupla sets of table legs. Sunday will be warm in the 50's and sunny, so a nice ride for Sunday.
Old 11-27-09, 08:58 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I rode my usual 55 mile RT ride from Chicago to Lake Forest. The ride was great but a little chilly with temps around 40f. ...but sunny skies and a day outside are just too good to pass up as far as I'm concerned.

I've got an 8am ride planned for tomorrow.

Michael
Old 11-27-09, 09:02 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thursday: 26.16 miles, 1099 ft. ascent, 1:32, 16.9 mph average.
Friday: 37.46 miles, 2022 ft. ascent, 2:14, 16.7 mph average.
Saturday: Hope to do some hill work in the morning.
Sunday: Dunno if I'll get out. Hoping to though.

(can you tell someone just got an Edge 305? )

Last edited by khatfull; 11-27-09 at 11:52 PM. Reason: 2022 feet, not 2066
Old 11-27-09, 10:04 PM
khatfull
FBoD Member at Large

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here's what I'm thinking of knocking off in the morning:

https://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/mn...25938076998786

Don't let the elevation reported by MMR fool you. The hills on Highwood and Springside from Hwy 61 up to McKnight are 17%+ in places and the leg up Highwood from there is a constant 6-7%. The rollers on Sterling Ave. have some local 8-9% hills too. It will be interesting to see what the Garmin reports on this ride. Check the topo map.

I wish I lived in an area where you could get the nice, multi-mile 4-6% grades but alas, in flyover that just doesn't happen.
Old 11-27-09, 10:09 PM
NaBlade
Dammit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forecast is some rain tomorrow Sat here in Vancouver BC but I'm still planning a leisurely ride of about 70K of mostly flat route, except for a killer 20% grade hill 2km from home.
Old 11-27-09, 10:42 PM
stevegor

Bikes: lots... even a Raleigh twenty !!!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mon 23/11: 95kms, solo and tandem
Tues 24:/11: 65kms solo
Wed 25/11: 100kms solo and tandem
Thu 26/11: Rest day 10kms to work
Fri 27/11: 50kms solo
Sat 28/11: 80-90kms Hammerfest.
Sun 29/11: Day of rest and sleep in.
Old 11-28-09, 02:47 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thursday Thanksgiving - 110 minutes in my garage (I guess that doesn't really count here in the road forum)
Friday - rain, another 90 minutes in the garage
Saturday - 30 miles, hill repeats. It was pretty cool, met up with another guy so we did them together, I got spanked each time going up, he'd meet me at the bottom, repeat 4x. The last time was complete humiliation, half way up he told me he was going, I wished him well as he dropped me never to be seen again (at least for today). At least he didn't give me "the look" when he decided to go.
Sunday - will do 3 hours of easy spinning.
Living on borrowed time here in New England. It's hard to believe no snow or ice or sand and salt this late into the season.
Old 11-28-09, 02:53 PM
EasyE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a nice little 15 mile ride today, some local back roads and such. We also have a nice ride planned tomorrow down the completed part of the blackstone river bike trail here in RI, and continuing all the way down to Providence for lunch in the city. Should be around 60 miles or so. Its great to still have such nice weather so late in the season up here, looking forward to 50* plus for tomorrow's ride!
Old 11-28-09, 03:48 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saturday ride part 2 - beer run, another 4 miles, the last 2 with 18 cans of Dale's Pale Ale in the backpack.
Talk about a work out, averaged 23mph so I could get home and pop one before missing too much of Fl:Fl State.
Go Gators.....
Old 11-28-09, 04:06 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
On Friday I rode my usual 55 mile ride from Chicago to Lake Forest. The ride was great but a little chilly with temps around 40f. ...but sunny skies and a day outside are just too good to pass up as far as I'm concerned.

Today was another great sunny November ride. Probably my last ride of the month. If December is colder than normal, it might be my last ride of the year.

I needed to take a recovery ride. Well, the group of five I was with had other plans. We maintained 21+ mph in a pace line formation for 20 miles. I told them I'll drop off the back. I did.

I returned on my own, stopped at a coffee shop. A larger group of maybe 20 riders were there. They passed me doing about 22 mph. I felt like I just got dropped again. LOL.

99 miles in 24 hours and I passed my goal of 5000 for the year today. Yeah, baby!

Michael

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-29-09 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-28-09, 04:21 PM
BarryJo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barrettscv

99 miles in 24 hors and I passed my goal of 5000 for the year today. Yeah, baby!

Michael
Congrats - 5K in a year is impressive! Hopefully you'll be able to add to it before the end of December.
Old 11-28-09, 04:50 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Got out for the bike shop ride this morning, did 38 miles or so. It's cool and windy, but gorgeous weather otherwise. Then this afternoon, I rode down to Whiterock Lake in Dallas, about 28 miles round trip. Managed to pass a car in the down-wind portion of the ride (20 mph speed limit.) You probably have to be overweight and slow to appreciate that.
Old 11-28-09, 04:55 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Palm Springs to visit my 95 year old aunt - who's sharper than many people here (and you know who you are) - 25 miles yesterday with my brother, all north of Highway 111, around the roads leading to Taquitz Canyon.

There was no forecast of inclement weather, but a huge lenticular cloud formed to the northwest, after horsetail clouds blew through earlier in the day - harbingers at least of changing weather. Sure 'nough, it rained during the night, and in the morning the lower elevations of the mountains looked as if they were sugar-coated - the summits were lost in the clouds. And I opted for a Starbucks pumpkin-spiced latte rather than ride in the rain.

Now I'm home, and I'm about to head out under cool and dramatic, but dry skies on another ride around Los Angeles.
Old 11-28-09, 04:58 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I wanted to ride today.
I was going to do some mountain biking (upgraded some parts and wanted to ride with a friend) I ended up working on two cars today and it took longer than I thought it would. It sure does get dark quick these days.
I am hoping to get out and maybe get some miles in tomorrow on the road after church.
Old 11-28-09, 05:04 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Spin class Wed. night, 20 miles Thursday, 30 Friday, 40 mi., 16.8 mph, 3K ft. climbing today, and 50 planned for tomorrow. Really strong wind here in NJ today. Steady 10+ mph and gusts to 30+. Tried to stay in protected areas. Highlight of the week was on Thanksgiving. I was riding down Crusher Rd., north of Princeton, and came upon a Great Blue Heron in the middle of the road. I slowed down, and he took off down the heavily wooded road. He stayed just ahead of me for about 100 yards, until there was a break in the trees for him to get away from the road. About the third time I've rustled up a Great Blue along a road here in NJ.
Old 11-28-09, 05:25 PM
aeiadart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was planning on it but got a cold and i dont want it to get worse. But damn its been around a week since my last ride and im dying to get some aggression out on the beloved bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.