Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

And now Morgan Territory Road humble

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 04:03 PM
slimyfrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from the weekend ride and I think it qualifies at the hardest I have ever done. I'm not even sure I've done it actually, since I had to stop 4 or 5 times, and walk some sections of Morgan Territory road. And it wasn't even the longest, by a long shot, but it was clearly beyond my abilities. We had never tried morgan territory road so we figure it would be fun to try.

My soon-to-be-fit-but-not-yet 220lbs body did NOT want to deal with the steep climbs and the ridiculous heat. I hit the absolute wall, physical and mental 4 or 5 times. There was no push anymore. No sauce. Not even vapors in the tank. You know... "Just push really hard to get to that..." and all forward motion ends.

Since I have no pride or shame I thought I'd share the data. It was a good reminder that it's ok to be human and that some times the path to improving involves failure.

https://www.strava.com/activities/621909312

By the time we got to Clayton, a Vanilla milkshake saved my life. It was by far the best milkshake ever. And I am SO thankful for the cold shower I took when I got home. Also very lucky to not get any cramps during the ride. Those started after I got home

It was an exhausting, but really good ride. I just wish we had done it backwards because we would have had the descent on the good asphalt (south side) and the climb in the shaded area. Well now we know

I think it's a good idea to do a 'challenge' ride that sits outside my abilities from time to time, but I'm going to give this one some times and 40lbs of weight loss or so before I try it again

On the plus side, I sure made it easy for myself to break the Strava times I set today!

Old 06-26-16, 05:18 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4383 Post(s)
Liked 3,054 Times in 1,653 Posts
You went... UP... The Plunge! That makes up for the rest of that pathetic performance.
Old 06-26-16, 05:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4895 Post(s)
Liked 4,067 Times in 2,636 Posts
I have only done it north to south, clockwise around Diablo. The steep sections are hard. My epic ride was doing it with a friend who years before raced for the Athena School. It was an ill fated ride. Early on, my tube fell from my saddlebag and became toast. Up Morgan Territory, my friend did not have it. We made it over with me pushing him as best I could. (He couldn't ride steady enough for me to always stay in contact and this 150 pounder riding one handed pushing a 200 pounder was a little much. We got to the top. Coming down, he misjudged a corner and crashed. Down on the final flat 4 miles IIRC I flatted. We were running out of light. I borrowed his wheel, got his car and picked him up riding slowly along on my tire which he patched.

One of our epic adventures, Not the most epic. That goes to having the 24' sailboat we were running down the coast knocked over and pinned at 90 degrees 16 miles offshore at midnight in a lot of wind.

Ben
Old 06-26-16, 08:17 PM
havetogod

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good work! Keep it up, I was in a similar position 3 years ago before I dropped from 215 to 170. Keep challenging yourself each week evem though you know its gonna suck...and lay off the milkshakes
Old 06-26-16, 08:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Morgan Territory is one of the few roads where I have a very definite preference for a particular direction. Have gone N - S many times, but S - N only once. Congratulations on doing it the hard way.
Old 06-27-16, 07:19 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Morgan Territory is one of the few roads where I have a very definite preference for a particular direction. Have gone N - S many times, but S - N only once. Congratulations on doing it the hard way.
Just like above for me.
Good for your for getting your S - N out of the way on the maiden voyage.
Great job.
Old 06-27-16, 06:38 PM
gw_12

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! Yes, Morgan Territory was "special" in the heat yesterday. I went S-N over the top to the barn (the end of the single lane section) and back N-S. Descending back into Livermore was like dropping into an oven.

https://www.strava.com/activities/622012439
Old 07-01-16, 07:23 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 2,651 Times in 1,107 Posts
Ditto. The first time I did Morgan it was up the south side (like gw_12, it was a hot day and descending back into Livermore was like going from a hot oven into a ridiculously hot oven). That was roughly 40 years ago when we didn't know to call it the Plunge. I swore a mighty swear that I would never do that again and, unlike some other mighty swears I have made, I have kept that one. North to south is hard enough for this uber-Clydesdale.

Chapeau to you, slimyfrog. You made it up a climb that will take the starch out many a good climber's shorts.
Old 07-09-16, 02:18 PM
spingineer
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Good for you ... that's an accomplishment, no matter how fit or light you are. When I did Le Tape d'California, it went up the "Plunge" from downtown Livermore. The part I didn't like was the descent on Morgan Territory ... so many pot holes ... I'd rather do it the other way.

My Cycling Blog
Old 07-11-16, 11:29 AM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spingineer
Good for you ... that's an accomplishment, no matter how fit or light you are. When I did Le Tape d'California, it went up the "Plunge" from downtown Livermore. The part I didn't like was the descent on Morgan Territory ... so many pot holes ... I'd rather do it the other way.
Yes, absolutely agree. The terrible road conditions really ruined the descent. I might do it again up the plunge, but assuming I survive, I will do a 180 at the top. I didn't particularly enjoy the descent or the rest of the ride through Clayton. I think I much rather continue the Livermore route and back up via collier canyon.
Old 07-29-16, 08:55 PM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden Morgan Territory Rd dozens of times, only ONCE from the south. I had ridden from Oakley down through Mt House to Patterson Pass, and came back N on MTR. About half way up I bonked hard and pulled off in the closest bit of shade to catch a breather. I sat down against a fence with my water bottle, when I felt hot breath on my neck. The meanest sob of a dog was sticking his nose through the fence. I freaked, nearly broke my ankles on re-entry, and sprinted the next 800 yds up the hill holding my bike between me and that g damn hound of the baskervilles. I have more than one reason to ride N to S.
Old 08-04-16, 03:58 PM
RushFan2112

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Di2, Cannondale F1000 SL

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I've ridden Morgan N>S many, many times but I've never had the balls to go S>N. The south side plunge is so exposed that I just can't imagine how awful it would be when combined with the hideous grade.

Speaking of that, does anyone know what the grade is through that section?
Old 08-04-16, 06:13 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 53 Posts
I think its a legit 13%