Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does MUP cycling = Road Cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Do you consider riding on the MUP/bike path to be road cycling?
Yes
47.83%
No
52.17%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Does MUP cycling = Road Cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-18, 06:44 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Almost all of my rides contain a mix of MUP, road and gravel. I just count them all as miles, not going to go through the trouble of breaking them up into individual segments
Old 09-28-18, 06:51 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
If you're going 27 mph I'll say yes.
The way they're constructed here it's not even practical/possible to ride that fast on them except for short stretches.
Old 09-28-18, 06:56 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Multi-use path is the difference. Narrow paths populated with runners, joggers, strollers, dogs on leads, kids with training wheels, couples holding hands, etc., etc.

And because of that, 15 mph speed limits for every one I've ever seen, which is still way too fast.
That sounds like Ned Brown Preserve (aka Busse Woods) in the NW suburbs of Chicago.
It was OK in the autumn, winter, and early spring, but could be so over-crowded on summer weekends, that it was nearly useless trying to ride it for exercise.
Old 09-28-18, 06:59 PM
Shimagnolo

Here is a video someone made 2 years ago in early spring when the US36 Bike Path first opened.
Someone 'splain to me how this is not as good as road-cycling.

Old 09-28-18, 07:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yes, because it sure isn’t mountain biking.
Old 09-28-18, 07:02 PM
chainwhip

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I like the way you directed us to discuss, yet didn't contribute to the discussion. I don't understand why people do that, and I don't understand why they copy and paste an article or drop link as a topic for discussion but offer no commentary of their own.
IMO, he did exactly what most ppl would do in framing a poll question: state the parameters and get out of the way.
Besides, Heisenberg says he already influenced the outcome by framing the question,non?
Old 09-28-18, 07:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I like the way you directed us to discuss, yet didn't contribute to the discussion. I don't understand why people do that, and I don't understand why they copy and paste an article or drop link as a topic for dicussion but offer no commentary of their own.
It's not hard to understand - I'm interested to hear opinions, not to sway them.
Old 09-28-18, 07:15 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
The way they're constructed here it's not even practical/possible to ride that fast on them except for short stretches.
To wit: this guy might have gotten up to 15 m.p.h.

Old 09-28-18, 07:50 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Multi-use path is the difference. Narrow paths populated with runners, joggers, strollers, dogs on leads, kids with training wheels, couples holding hands, etc., etc.

And because of that, 15 mph speed limits for every one I've ever seen, which is still way too fast.
Here's a typical view down the bike path I've recently been using the most. It stretches for over 80 miles across the middle of Michigan and connects to several other long paths. It does get busier when passing through more populated areas, but most of it is just going through rural farm land and is sparsely traveled as shown here. No bicycle speed limit but there are some 'trail etiquette' signs suggesting that one maintain a 'safe speed.'
Old 09-28-18, 08:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Since the subject popped up in another thread, I thought that it would be interesting to hear feedback from others.

Do you consider riding on the MUP/bike path to be road cycling? Would you consider a cyclist that does all (or the vast majority) of their cycling on a MUP/bike path to be a road cyclist?

Vote and/or discuss.
It depends.

If the MUP is a packed gravel trail, as some are in my area, and you do your entire ride on the packed gravel trail ... probably not.

But if the MUP is the Intercity Cycleway, which we've also got here, and is paved and laned similar to a road ... maybe.

And if you do, as we often do, part of your ride on the Cycleway and part of your ride on the road ... yes.
Old 09-29-18, 04:06 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes, because it sure isn’t mountain biking.
If it's a binary choice - road vs mountain (or dirt), or paved vs unpaved, OK. But maybe we want to make a different kind of distinction. I don't know much about dirt/mountain biking, but I know there are different kinds, and there is certainly is a wide variety of paved situations. The little kindergarteners on the sidewalk aren't mountain bikers, but are they road cyclists? I don't think so. There's a continuum, and a mix of conditions that one might encounter on a ride, and it may be hard to draw the line sometimes, but it seems to me that if one purposefully avoids bona fide roads, then one isn't a bona fide road cyclist. It's not a value judgement, just an honest description.

I can see how some cyclists might just happen to have lots of nice, long paths that provide conditions that allow the same basic riding experience that one might get on local roads, just without the cars and trucks, and might make a habit of riding on them most of the time. I'd say that if such riders make their way to and from such courses via regular roads, or if they generally limit their rides on regular roads to large, organized or closed-course events, there's no reason not to call them road cyclists, but if they only ride on bike paths, they're path cyclists. I don't see how (or why) anyone who would drive himself to a MUP could call himself a road cyclist.
Old 09-29-18, 04:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It depends.

If the MUP is a packed gravel trail, as some are in my area, and you do your entire ride on the packed gravel trail ... probably not.

But if the MUP is the Intercity Cycleway, which we've also got here, and is paved and laned similar to a road ... maybe.

And if you do, as we often do, part of your ride on the Cycleway and part of your ride on the road ... yes.

Old 09-29-18, 04:48 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
Here's a typical view down the bike path I've recently been using the most. It stretches for over 80 miles across the middle of Michigan and connects to several other long paths. It does get busier when passing through more populated areas, but most of it is just going through rural farm land and is sparsely traveled as shown here. No bicycle speed limit but there are some 'trail etiquette' signs suggesting that one maintain a 'safe speed.'
Would our rails to trails programs here in the Midwest be considered mups? They are multi-use, but as you say they stretch for a long ways. They can get congested when going through a town, but it's nothing to slow down for a whopping five minutes till you're past the walkers. Since they follow old rail beds there's great sight lines.

My longest day ride so far is 132 miles, 100 miles almost exclusively on various connecting trails. The fun part is hammering the fifteen miles to the trail head from my place on road.
Old 09-29-18, 05:12 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
The fun part is hammering the fifteen miles to the trail head from my place on road.
Indubitably.
Old 09-29-18, 05:46 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Would our rails to trails programs here in the Midwest be considered mups? They are multi-use, but as you say they stretch for a long ways. They can get congested when going through a town, but it's nothing to slow down for a whopping five minutes till you're past the walkers. Since they follow old rail beds there's great sight lines.

My longest day ride so far is 132 miles, 100 miles almost exclusively on various connecting trails. The fun part is hammering the fifteen miles to the trail head from my place on road.
My wife and I just returned from two weeks in Michigan's western U.P. While up there we took some time to have a look at the recently completed last leg of The Iron Belle trail, only 7 miles or so. It runs from Bessemer to Ironwood and ends at the Wisconsin border. Here's a link to more info on the trail and various stages of completion.

https://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...e1b69d1d674d10
Old 09-29-18, 06:26 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
On the country's busiest MUP, the West Side Greenway, there are sections too crowded to ride fast with too many road crossings, and sections that are straight and less crowded. But this is NYC in general. And does the type of trail matter in how many miles you ride? In fact I do a large percentage of my miles in Prospect Park, which has 3 lanes all closed to traffic. Is this now a MUP because there are no cars? The speed limit is 25 but other than the small downhill you won't exceed that anyway. Nah, it doesn't matter where I'm riding. If I'm riding my road bike they are road miles. If I'm on my commuter they aren't road miles, but they are still miles. If I'm out with my wife and/or family, it is a slow meandering ride but they are still miles.
Old 09-29-18, 06:29 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
To wit: this guy might have gotten up to 15 m.p.h.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVJvBo1B758
Exactly. That's essentially a sidewalk. Even 15 mph would be sketchy in parts. That's how the majority of MUPs I've seen in three different countries are.

You're not "road riding" on those things, at least not in any sort of performance-oriented way.
Old 09-29-18, 06:59 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Here is a video someone made 2 years ago in early spring when the US36 Bike Path first opened.
Someone 'splain to me how this is not as good as road-cycling.
I don't think the discussion is about what is good or bad. Just that this kinda riding just isn't "Road Cycling", it's MUP Riding or Path Cycling or such.

OTOH, is a race like the Giro or Tour really road cycling, since the only cars provided are the teams own, and the course is closed to the general population of clueless drivers?
Old 09-29-18, 07:08 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I guess I could chime in on the question. My answer would be maybe. Despite being old and slow I'm not a fan of MUP's in settled areas, too many pedestrians, joggers, etc. who have as much right as cyclists to the trails. However, the rails-to-trails facilities rarely have difficult grades, even for me. 😉 There are good sections away from settled areas where combined with a good sight line would allow for greater speeds. The Kal-Haven Trail from Kalamazoo to South Haven (30+ miles) is mostly fairly well maintained gravel. Once you get a few miles out from either end the pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers are gone and you can ride as fast as you feel comfortable on loose gravel. Local MUP's have 10 mph limits that even I find restrictive.
​​​​​
Old 09-29-18, 07:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
If it's a binary choice - road vs mountain (or dirt), or paved vs unpaved, OK. But maybe we want to make a different kind of distinction. I don't know much about dirt/mountain biking, but I know there are different kinds, and there is certainly is a wide variety of paved situations. The little kindergarteners on the sidewalk aren't mountain bikers, but are they road cyclists? I don't think so. There's a continuum, and a mix of conditions that one might encounter on a ride, and it may be hard to draw the line sometimes, but it seems to me that if one purposefully avoids bona fide roads, then one isn't a bona fide road cyclist. It's not a value judgement, just an honest description.
For me, “road riding” is mostly defined by two things:

1- The riding is for recreational, fitness, or sport reasons (i.e., not for commuting, transportation or utility reasons),

2- The riding is not technically challenging.

As such, I consider pretty much all riding on any paved road as well as most dirt/gravel roads to be “road biking”. Same with non-technical paths such ad MUPs or rails-to-trails, be they paved or unpaved.

So basically, if it is not mountain biking (or riding primarily for utility), it is road biking, IMO.

Little kids on a sidewalk are irrelevant to this discussion. They don’t wear spandex, and are too wise in their innocent youth to give a crap about a discussion like this.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-29-18 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 08:31 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
On the country's busiest MUP, the West Side Greenway, there are sections too crowded to ride fast with too many road crossings, and sections that are straight and less crowded. But this is NYC in general. And does the type of trail matter in how many miles you ride? In fact I do a large percentage of my miles in Prospect Park, which has 3 lanes all closed to traffic. Is this now a MUP because there are no cars? The speed limit is 25 but other than the small downhill you won't exceed that anyway. Nah, it doesn't matter where I'm riding. If I'm riding my road bike they are road miles. If I'm on my commuter they aren't road miles, but they are still miles. If I'm out with my wife and/or family, it is a slow meandering ride but they are still miles.
FWIW, a large chunk of the Greenway is not a 'MUP' in its fullest sense -- it is labelled as for roller-skaters and bikes only. From recollection, this area extends from roughly the 60s/70s thru to downtown Manhattan. This is presumably because running parallel to the Greenway along this stretch, there are plenty of pedestrian paths or sidewalks only yards away that bikes are not allowed on. That said, this section is oft frequented by joggers, skateboarders and peds. Unfortunately, the parks dept is unwilling to monitor and police the situation.
Old 09-29-18, 08:48 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
The Kal-Haven Trail from Kalamazoo to South Haven (30+ miles) is mostly fairly well maintained gravel. Once you get a few miles out from either end the pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers are gone and you can ride as fast as you feel comfortable on loose gravel.
​​​​​
A friend and I rode it 20+ years ago.
It was nice, but I found myself longing for some hills and or curves to make it more interesting.
I'm surprised it is still gravel; I expected it would likely be paved by now.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 09-29-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-29-18, 09:28 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,654 Times in 3,486 Posts
I'm riding on the MUP for safety and peace of mind. And I'm using my road bike(s). Who cares what other people want to call it! I don't even care what "I" call it.

In brief, your poll needs a "Who cares?" category.
Old 09-29-18, 03:57 PM
buffalo4life

Bikes: 86 Trek 330 fixie, 2011 Trek 1.1, POS mb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I view road cycling as riding a road bike on a paved surface, thusly the MUP counts. Not all MUPS are created equal and some allow longer stretches of high speed opportunity for cyclists.
Old 09-29-18, 04:28 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Sure they're the same, since most MUP's are a kind of road. Not for motorized traffic, but any wide path with a prepared surface used for travel is a road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.