Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

You can everything right, and still lose your life

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

You can everything right, and still lose your life

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 08:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
After reading these threads I don’t think I would ever consider riding on US roads. The mindset seems completely incompatible. But looks like you have some great off-road trails. That’s where I would be riding on that side of the pond.
Oh, it's not as bad as all that. The vast majority of cyclists are able to ride safely without getting hit or killed. Almost 39,000 people were killed in car accidents last year. Only 675 cyclists, in the whole USA, a country of 328 Million people, which had a huge growth in cycling last year.

Compare that with the famously bike-friendly Netherlands, with 17 million people, where 229 cyclists were killed last year.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-25-21, 09:02 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nothing will change until we completely overhaul the current paradigm and use words like "negligence" instead of "accident," "crash" or "collision" to describe drivers who are indifferent, incompetent or outright hostile toward other people who are lawfully using shared public infrastructure.

The easiest way to get away with mayhem, assault and murder in the US is to hit a pedestrian or cyclist with a car, then invoke the magic words, "They came out of nowhere! I never saw them! The sun was in my eyes! I feared for my life and was just trying to escape!"

If you survive being hit, you'll be lucky if the cop doesn't write up the citation implying that the pedestrian or cyclist was partially at fault for failing to dodge the Dodge. Been there. Despite having the green light, pedestrian walk signal, and being established in the crosswalk, the cop implied I was partially at fault for not jumping out of the way of the driver who ignored the flashing yellow yield signal and was looking down rather than up.

I never ride a bike now without running video, usually front and rear facing.
There are never accidents, only chains of decisions.
Old 07-25-21, 09:08 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am not trying to minimize the risk of cycling, both on and off road, but, the reality is that no matter what one is doing, whether doing it 100% right or not, there is risk of being badly injured or killed. We can only control what is in our control, and I have come to believe that is not a whole lot. It's dangerous getting out of bed in the morning. I love riding bikes, particularly road cycling. I accept the risk because of that. Not doing it is not a good option for me. I do what I can to minimize the risk. What's worse, getting killed doing something you love to do, or getting killed doing something you dislike doing? I guess it really does not matter, but I think given an option, I prefer going out with a smile on my face. At the end of a ride, cycling ALWAYS makes me smile.
I agree. I’m trying to get better at realizing what I can control and letting other things go.

Huge life implications.
Old 07-25-21, 11:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Oh, it's not as bad as all that. The vast majority of cyclists are able to ride safely without getting hit or killed. Almost 39,000 people were killed in car accidents last year. Only 675 cyclists, in the whole USA, a country of 328 Million people, which had a huge growth in cycling last year.

Compare that with the famously bike-friendly Netherlands, with 17 million people, where 229 cyclists were killed last year.
Good point. The stats are not as bad as we sometimes think. Over here there are on average about 100 cyclists killed per year. Interestingly that number jumped to 140 last year with the pandemic - lots of people taking up cycling in the lockdown combined with an increase in dangerous driving with less traffic on the roads. Quite an eye-opener. Obviously depends a lot on where you live too. Some areas are much better than others for cycling. I'm sure it's the same over there.

Last edited by PeteHski; 07-25-21 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 02:12 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
After reading these threads I don’t think I would ever consider riding on US roads. The mindset seems completely incompatible. But looks like you have some great off-road trails. That’s where I would be riding on that side of the pond.
Many years ago, now, I did mt bike rides out of Moab, Utah. That was pretty nifty even if I didn't know the first thing about such riding. I have ridden some of the forest service roads near Seattle and those can be fun. But I'm mostly a road road bike rider. But the road bike has done some gnarly forest roads, too - can you say broken spoke!
Old 07-26-21, 06:38 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
Threads like this always bring up different perspectives and ideas. It is good to discuss these situations and share with each other things that make us feel safer. Let’s face it , it is dangerous to ride a bike on the open road, but we still do it. I ride in one of the most densely populated places in North America, Southern California. I am in a more rural portion of my county but usually ride from my house to the coast and harbor area which is fairly crowded , especially this time of the year. I do what I can to be safe but still vulnerable. I have posted before about my helmet with lights and directional signals. I also have rechargeable lights on the bike but actually have had folks pull up at stop lights and tell me how great my helmet is because they can tell which direction I am going. It is usually while making a left turn in the turn lane. Still, given the wrong time- wrong place situation and it can be bad. Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-27-21, 05:08 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 88 Posts
Biking in LA I usually stay on the Strand. Pretty safe except an area entering Venice Beach. Otherwise pretty safe.