Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Added sealant for the first time

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-23, 12:59 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts

It's been five months since I switched to tubeless tires. I've finally gotten around to adding sealant to them. Here are the steps I took:
  1. Took the front wheel off the bike
  2. Remove the valve core (*)
  3. Position the wheel so the valve is parallel to the ground
  4. Screw on the tip of the Stan's ToTube sealant injector
  5. Add sealant to the injector
  6. Inject sealant
  7. Put the valve core back in
  8. Inflate the tire
  9. Put the wheel back on the bike
  10. Repeat for the rear wheel
(*) I should have deflated the tire first so the air won't blow off the valve core.

I am all thumbs, so I was naturally very nervous. In the end, everything worked. I did have to clean the garage floor as sealant was spilt all over the place. At least it will be a lot easier from the second time on.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-04-23, 03:30 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 206 Posts
5 months is a long time. Did you check to see how much liquid sealant you still had? Of course it varies with tires and sealant types, but I'll go about a month between checking sealant levels. I probably top off about every other time I check. I use a wire as a sort of dipstick. Rotate the valve stem to the bottom and wait a bit for sealant to settle, then put the wire in and pull out to see how much I have.

Also, why take the wheel off the bike?

I don't know anything about screwing on a Stans injector, though I think I know what that means. In my case I just have a syringe with a tube that fits through the valve stem. I position the stem at about a quarter the way up. I give the tire a squeeze and slowly release the squeeze as I squirt in the sealant. That keeps from blowing air and sealant back out.

We all have our own way and you'll figure out what works best for you. And I'm sure you'll get to where you don't have sealant all over the place.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 09-04-23, 03:40 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 4,077 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
5 months is a long time. Did you check to see how much liquid sealant you still had? Of course it varies with tires and sealant types, but I'll go about a month between checking sealant levels. I probably top off about every other time I check. I use a wire as a sort of dipstick. Rotate the valve stem to the bottom and wait a bit for sealant to settle, then put the wire in and pull out to see how much I have.

I don't know anything about screwing on a Stans injector, though I think I know what that means. In my case I just have a syringe with a tube that fits through the valve stem. I position the stem at about a quarter the way up. I give the tire a squeeze and slowly release the squeeze as I squirt in the sealant. That keeps from blowing air and sealant back out.

We all have our own way and you'll figure out what works best for you. And I'm sure you'll get to where you don't have sealant all over the place.
With Orange Seal Endurance, even here in north Texas when it gets plenty hot in the summer, I generally don’t worry about adding sealant until 4-5 months or more. In fact when I’m riding a lot it’s not uncommon for me to wear out a pair of tires without ever checking or adding sealant.

I don’t bother taking the wheels off either.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-04-23, 04:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
With Orange Seal Endurance, even here in north Texas when it gets plenty hot in the summer, I generally don’t worry about adding sealant until 4-5 months or more. In fact when I’m riding a lot it’s not uncommon for me to wear out a pair of tires without ever checking or adding sealant.

x2 If the tire doesnt wear out, something destroys it, or I get a puncture that calls for adding in more goopitygoopgoop.
Old 09-04-23, 04:58 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Mtracer

I was first going to check the sealant level in 3 months, but I asked the LBS and they told me that I should be okay as long as the tires hold air, so I procrastinated until today. Not that the tires started losing air. Just that I somehow felt like it was the time to get to it. Not scientic, I know...

And yes, I will deflate the tire first before removing the valve core.

I sure made a lot of mess this time. I'm at least more confident going forward.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-04-23, 05:04 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by Troul
x2 If the tire doesnt wear out, something destroys it, or I get a puncture that calls for adding in more goopitygoopgoop.
I use the regular version of Orange Sealant. Do you two know of any cons with using Endurance vs Regular?

Old 09-04-23, 05:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,960 Posts
the regular stuff runs thin & might not seal up holes that are on the larger size for what it is expected to address. Additionally, the service intervals in between fluid top-offs/checks is less frequent when using the regular version.

If you are going to hold to the tight service schedules, you might be better using the other one... if punctures are a nuisance.
Old 09-04-23, 05:19 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 269 Posts
Did you check for and water from old sealant before adding any? This is Bontrager sealant after 6 month. I added some at 3 months.

Old 09-04-23, 06:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked 5,817 Times in 2,995 Posts
It’s been a year, probably need to check fluid levels. With GP 5000s I only lose a lb or two between rides and the tires have proven to be bullet proof. Can’t count how many times I have ridden through broken glass without a flat. Amazing tire technology.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-04-23, 06:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts

Same here, even though I got less than 2 months with the regular Orange Seal I am going on 5 months with the Endurance formula and still good.
Old 09-04-23, 07:58 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 4,077 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I use the regular version of Orange Sealant. Do you two know of any cons with using Endurance vs Regular?
I originally used Stan’s Race but found it didn’t always seal quickly. I read about Orange Seal, and haven’t looked back. I’ve probably run both versions. I know the last couple of bottles have been Endurance for sure. But the first few bottles could well have been either. Probably have 35,000 miles or more since switching. Pretty sure I picked up at least one or two bottles of regular over the past 4 years. No complaints from either.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 09-04-23, 08:57 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by rsbob
It’s been a year, probably need to check fluid levels. With GP 5000s I only lose a lb or two between rides and the tires have proven to be bullet proof. Can’t count how many times I have ridden through broken glass without a flat. Amazing tire technology.
Yeah I'm very happy with the GP tiries in general. Rode three sets of GP 4-Seasons in 7 years with two flats. Now I've been with the GP 5000 AS TRs for 5 months, and no flats so far.

Old 09-05-23, 09:18 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
Orange seal endurance for me as well, and 4-5 months sounds about right.

GP 5000 S TR is the best tire I've ever used, hands down. That said, I had an unfortunate run of flats with them earlier this year (3 flats in 2 weeks, each one trashed the tire - in all cases it was gashes caused by broken glass so I don't blame the tire). I couldn't immediately source more GP5K's so I switched to Specialized S-Works Turbo T2/T5 and have been very happy with those.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-05-23, 09:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2648 Post(s)
Liked 5,817 Times in 2,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Also have to recommend Schwalbe Pro Ones. They too have proven to be trustworthy runners.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-05-23, 09:32 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Same here, even though I got less than 2 months with the regular Orange Seal I am going on 5 months with the Endurance formula and still good.
I originally used Stan’s Race but found it didn’t always seal quickly. I read about Orange Seal, and haven’t looked back. I’ve probably run both versions. I know the last couple of bottles have been Endurance for sure. But the first few bottles could well have been either. Probably have 35,000 miles or more since switching. Pretty sure I picked up at least one or two bottles of regular over the past 4 years. No complaints from either.
Thanks guys! I will most definitely get the Endurance when my current bottle runs out.

Likes For daihard:
Old 09-05-23, 09:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 438 Posts
Orange Seal Endurance lasts longer but doesn't seal as well as regular. I used to use Endurance, and with Seattle's temperate climate plus storing my bikes indoors, it seemed to last half a year at least, so I switched to regular this riding season. The season's winding down so I'll probably be removing the excess later. Doesn't seem like I need to top it off yet -h I have the OS dipstick but can't use it to check sealant levels because I also installed Vittoria Air-Liners this year.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-06-23, 08:26 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 873 Posts
I've used both Orange Seal regular and endurance in the past. I didn't really notice much difference.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-06-23, 10:40 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by surak
Orange Seal Endurance lasts longer but doesn't seal as well as regular. I used to use Endurance, and with Seattle's temperate climate plus storing my bikes indoors, it seemed to last half a year at least, so I switched to regular this riding season. The season's winding down so I'll probably be removing the excess later. Doesn't seem like I need to top it off yet -h I have the OS dipstick but can't use it to check sealant levels because I also installed Vittoria Air-Liners this year.
Thank you! It really helps to get another rider's experience in Seattle. I also store my bike indoors. I will talk to my LBS for their opinion, but at this point I'm leaning towards continuing to use the regular version.

[ADD] I like the dipstick that comes with the Orange Sealant bottle, too.