Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rebuilding cheap OEM wheels with Light Bicycle rims

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rebuilding cheap OEM wheels with Light Bicycle rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 02:10 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
Does anyone think a road wheelset, with carbon rims, with 28-hole hubs from rear and front is complete overkill? Seems like 24/24 and 24/20 is more common. Again I weigh 205 lbs right now (have been up to 220 in the past year).
I'd go with 24/24, which is pretty standard for carbon wheels.
28 is definitely overkill.
Old 10-02-23, 02:52 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'd go with 24/24, which is pretty standard for carbon wheels.
28 is definitely overkill.
I’m 195-200, riding on 24 spoke front and rear - both the old Vision Team 30 and current Light Bicycle wheels. When I was up closer to 230 I rode for years on Magic Ksyrium Equipes with 20 spikes in front. Best idea? No clue, but those Ksyriums are still on that bike.
Old 10-02-23, 09:01 PM
vtje

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3, 2021 Carbonda Gravel, 2019 Ibis HD4, 2016 Ibis Mojo HD3, 2016 Specialized Demo 8 II, 2015 Specialized P26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nobody mentioned Novatec hubs yet? They are very light, cheap and relatively reliable. I built countless wheelsets (road/gravel/mtb) on them and so far they been a lot more reliable than Shimano hubs (knock on the wood...)
Old 10-04-23, 03:22 AM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
AR46 is too narrow a front rim by modern standards. With an outer width of only 28mm, you're stuck with using a 25mm tire for optimal aero and to reduce crosswind effect. The Bontrager is better in that respect. A 28mm tire is also going to be a lot more comfortable, and work better if you run tubeless as you won't need to pump them up nearly as high a pressure.

OP, you're more than 50 lbs heavier than I am. I use a WR50/AR56 front/rear combo. They're extremely comfortable for me as I run a 32mm tire on the rear. The only downside is that the WR50 has an internal width wider than the new ERTRO standard says is safe to run 28mm tires. The Bontrager is again better there, since its internal width is narrower.

Lastly if you're going ahead with the LB rims, I've seen people lace the rears with CX Sprint spokes for better stiffness. CX Rays may be too flexy for heavier and more powerful riders.
Light Bicycle recommended a WR35 for the front which is 25mm inner and 32mm outer. This is not too wide to run a 30mm or 28mm clincher?? What is the new ERTRO standard?
​​​​​​
I am currently using a 30mm clincher on the front and 32mm clincher in the back. I'll either stick with that size or consider 28mm tires in the future.
Old 10-04-23, 10:03 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by ppg677
Light Bicycle recommended a WR35 for the front which is 25mm inner and 32mm outer. This is not too wide to run a 30mm or 28mm clincher?? What is the new ERTRO standard?
​​​​​​
I am currently using a 30mm clincher on the front and 32mm clincher in the back. I'll either stick with that size or consider 28mm tires in the future.
Do you regularly experience massive crosswinds where you ride? If not, I'd get at least the WR45 for a front. The new ETRTO recommends at minimum a 29mm nominal tire for a 25mm internal width rim, but there are a lot of 25mm i.w. rims that were designed optimally for 28mm tires. I think the concern is more for hookless setups due to the risk of tire blow-off, though the ETRTO applies the recommendation to all rim types.

You can run 30mm for a small penalty to crosswind stability, as the wider the tire is than the rim, the more susceptible it is to stalling at higher yaw angles.

This all matters more for the front wheel. Using a 30mm in the rear or even 32mm would be expected to have neglible impact on speed, might even be faster due to less rolling resistance, and provides more comfort than narrower tires.