Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix - 105 mechanical vs Di2 pricing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Roubaix - 105 mechanical vs Di2 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 11:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
A project idea like this always sounds good until you turn it on and it doesn't work the first time. (nod to Mike Tyson)
Old 02-14-24, 02:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have a 2019 Roubaix, so 2 generations behind the SL8. It has 11 speed Ultegra Di2 and cost less than that 105 mechanical SL8(!), so if I were to put myself in your shoes, it would be a tough decision whether going electronic is worth it, especially with big discounts on Di2 kits at places like Merlin. That doesn't stop me from imagining upgrading to a SL8, as I would absolutely love having fender mounts and gravel-potential. Hoping they'll sell a non-S-Works frameset or have a sale next year and I would seriously consider swapping my UDi2 over.

Another thought about what to do with that money: the biggest upgrade I made to my Roubaix were deep section Light Bicycle wheels (50mm/56mm f/r depth and not far off 1300g) over the cheapo wheels the lower-tier Specialized bikes come with, which I think is a better use of ~1k USD than springing for electronic.
Old 02-24-24, 02:40 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
My concern about the Roubaix is the fit. In size 54, the reach is the same as my current bike, but the stack height is 30mm higher. I run a few spacers under my stem now, so it looks like if I slammed the stem on the Roubaix it could match my current fit, but with the futureshock it would end up at least 20mm higher, plus the riser bar that comes with it adds even more. This seems like a lot and I'm wondering if it's a dealbreaker - I'd be more aero on my SuperX.
In case anyone stumbles into this thread and is as confused about Roubaix stack heights as I was - the number that Specialized publishes includes the futureshock. Users can add an additional 30mm of spacers on top of this. So, in my case while the Roubaix stack is 30mm higher than my current bike on paper, they are actually pretty similar.

The stack height on most bikes is measured to the top of the head tube, so this is a bit confusing.
Old 02-24-24, 10:32 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Isn’t there also an SRAM Apex axs etap option between those 2?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 02-28-24, 11:18 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
Isn’t there also an SRAM Apex axs etap option between those 2?

Yes, for $4k. Unfortunately it's a 1x setup, which I don't want. (I currently have a 1x GRX bike and find it's a bit limited for road riding)
Also paying $4k for Apex seems a little crazy to me.

There is also a 2x Rival AXS build that is $5200, currently on sale for $4500 though seemingly unavailable in every size.
Old 02-28-24, 11:55 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Now I'm curious if I'm missing something about Di2 instals. I've never done it, but would have no problem installing and setting up mechanical shifters and F/R derailleurs. Is it more complicated than I realize?

I like working on bikes - it's not a burden and I would only go to a shop if it required some special tools that I didn't already own.
The other option would be to buy the 105, go to Lordgun and grab a 105Di2 groupset for like $1000 (last I checked it was around there) and sell the full 105 groupset. That’d probably put you out like 600-700 more instead of 1500

https://www.lordgun.com/shimano-105-di2-7100-12s-disc-rt70-group
Likes For phrantic09: