Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's Hunting Season - Be Careful Out There

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's Hunting Season - Be Careful Out There

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 09:15 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Guy out west scored a couple years ago, packed his prize out and took it to a wildlife check station only to THEN learn his cow elk was someone's llama that had gotten loose.
Maybe it charged the guy, stamping its hooves and spitting/hissing, like these 2 miscreants did to me in Vermont. Would have been a heck of a way to go, trampled by llama.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1095.jpg (45.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-01-17, 09:47 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Heard about Minnesota farmers who'd paint "cow" on their cows in neon paint.

Apparently some hunters thought the deer were trying to trick them, because ......

One canny farmer did that, but forgot to lock up his shiny, new, green tractor. Wouldn't you know? It said Deere on the side.
Old 12-02-17, 10:39 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Maybe it charged the guy, stamping its hooves and spitting/hissing, like these 2 miscreants did to me in Vermont. Would have been a heck of a way to go, trampled by llama.
I have a hunting buddy in Idaho that uses them to pack in camp and pack out elk or deer. They aren't particularly friendly, but fairly docile. I was a bit apprehensive at first, keeping my distance. But you'd have to really harass one to get spit at. I suspect your encounter was the result of pasture potatoes that rarely interacted closely with humans. My pack goats on the other hand, will be in the tent with you if you let 'em. They're like dogs. My friend will tell you that actually llama is good to eat. He had one that broke it's leg in the pasture. It didn't go to waste.
Old 12-03-17, 10:14 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4756 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
If you are riding on public lands during hunting season it is very important to have a vest or jacket in day glow orange. Not yellow, must be orange.
Because everyone knows deer like to wear yellow?
Old 12-03-17, 12:33 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Silly City Boy, go ahead, wear yellow, see how it goes for you....
Old 12-03-17, 02:43 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Technium 440, 1989 Bianchi Alante, 1991 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
It's the law in most states that during modern firearms and muzzleloader hunting seasons; all hunters on lands used for hunting must wear "hunter orange" even if you are not carrying a firearm. The reason is that hunter orange is more visible during dawn, dusk, and daylight; and at further distances than yellow or green. There is a minimum requirement of total square inches for head and torso; so a cap and vest will easily comply. The three exceptions are bow/archery hunting, turkey and waterfowl season. Turkey season you are prohibited from wearing red, orange or in some cases, pink. Water fowl seasons just camo; no prohibition against hunter orange, but you won't shoot many birds and your buddies will send you packing Archery seasons regardless of the game you are not required to wear hunter orange.

Regulations vary from state to state; but by and large they are consistent. All persons, hunters or not have to comply with game laws and regulations during hunting seasons. Wildlife officers are law enforcement and they have citation and arrest powers just like any other LE agency and have been known to cite recreational users for not complying with regulations during hunting season. I would suggest before wandering out during hunting season, check your states hunting regulations regarding the "who, what, when and where" of donning hunter orange or land use in general. You may live in a state that does not require it; but then again you may not. During the modern firearm/muzzleloader big games seasons, you will never go wrong wearing some type of hunter orange. Turkey season, stay away from the colors mentioned above and wear neon/dayglo green or yellow because it will make you visible and the game is taken at much shorter distances.

Best Regards

Rod

Last edited by rodteague; 12-03-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 03:45 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I have a hunting buddy in Idaho that uses them to pack in camp and pack out elk or deer. They aren't particularly friendly, but fairly docile......
I've run into them several times while backpacking in Montana and Wyoming, along with horses and a mule or 2. They all seemed fairly placid. It's staggering to see the terrain they are capable of traversing, even the pack horses. We'd be off trail on boulder strewn slopes at a seemingly impossible gradient, hoping the whole mess was stable, and suddenly, there's manure.

These 2 were in Gallatin NF.

Bike content; beware ornery territorial llamas on a dirt road somewhere near Shoreham VT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN3600.jpg (46.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by kaos joe; 12-03-17 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 07:35 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Maybe deer are accustomed to folk being around and easier to hunt, but I can't really see the logic about hunting a skittish animal in a densely utilized area.
It probably is because they are easier to hunt. I grew up in a rural area, I was walking two dogs in the woods near my house one day and the dogs spotted a small herd of deer that were probably the same ones that kept eating my mom's flowers and white pine seedlings. The two dogs were so determined to get to the deer they were dragging me (I was sliding on my feet like I was wearing water skis) while barking their heads off. The deer were just calmly standing there looking at the three of us rapidly approaching. Those idiotic deer were probably the same ones that I witnessed not react to the sound of gunfire when a novice hunter shot at the buck and missed.

Orange is less likely than yellow to be mistaken for natural foliage if there is anything obscuring the view. I've seen a lot of sick pine trees that were a pretty vivid yellow.
Old 12-03-17, 09:34 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rodteague
Turkey season you are prohibited from wearing red, orange or in some cases, pink.
What is the reason for this?
Old 12-03-17, 10:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2751 Post(s)
Liked 3,408 Times in 2,063 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
What is the reason for this?
https://1source.basspro.com/index.ph...lothing-basics

Hunting Safety
As always, a word on safety is in order.

Never wear any visible article of clothing into the turkey woods that contains the colors white, red or blue. Not only will turkeys spot you, but these colors are associated with the head of a male turkey, and that can make you a target too.

While all states have different regulations I think blaze orange requirements are fairly universal for big game (deer elk etc) firearm seasons. I know here of no rules "prohibiting" any color otherwise.

Last edited by dedhed; 12-03-17 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 10:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by rachel120
I've seen a lot of sick pine trees that were a pretty vivid yellow.
You may actually be seeing Tamaracks. They are deciduous conifers that their needles turn yellow and fall off every year. Ann Arbor Native: Tamarack, the conifer that dares to be different
Old 12-03-17, 10:37 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by dedhed

Hunting Safety

Never wear any visible article of clothing into the turkey woods that contains the colors white, red or blue. Not only will turkeys spot you, but these colors are associated with the head of a male turkey, and that can make you a target too.

While all states have different regulations I think blaze orange requirements are fairly universal for big game (deer elk etc) firearm seasons. I know here of no rules "prohibiting" any color otherwise.
I was more curios about the orange. Specifically the orange that is required during deer season. We have huge flocks of wild turkeys that roam the neighborhood here. Even when the males are showing off and competing, there is no way they could be confused with an orange vest or cap.
Old 12-03-17, 10:38 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Around here (NW NM) we are having major kill offs of pine trees due to pine bark beetles. They just may be sick pine trees.
Old 12-03-17, 11:14 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hunting Safety

Agreed. As to turkey hunts, there are generally no requirements not to wear certain colors. The NWTF just makes recommendations and most states now exempt turkey; archery and waterfowl seasons from the blaze orange requirement. There are around ten states that do not require blaze orange, but recommend it during firearms hunts.
Old 12-03-17, 11:33 PM
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I was more curios about the orange. Specifically the orange that is required during deer season. We have huge flocks of wild turkeys that roam the neighborhood here. Even when the males are showing off and competing, there is no way they could be confused with an orange vest or cap.
In the open I agree; but in heavy timber a flash of orange, can easily be mistaken for a moving bird, and will draw the attention of of the hunter who is generally sitting on the ground well camoflagued. It wont take but a few moments to discern the difference; but i'd rather not be put in that situation. The risk is low for being shot, because we'll work and wait for the birds to move into range and out in the open. Shotguns are not effective unless used in the open and irresponsible to use unless the target can be verified. All that being said, the most important reason for not wearing blaze orange is the turkey can see it; just as they can see red, white and blue. If a cyclist is wearing it in a area that a hunter is working/calling a few tom's it will mess up a hunt PDQ. Keep in mind hunters can call birds in from a half mile or more.

Regards

Rod
Old 12-04-17, 12:30 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by rodteague
In the open I agree; but in heavy timber a flash of orange, can easily be mistaken for a moving bird, and will draw the attention of of the hunter who is generally sitting on the ground well camoflagued. It wont take but a few moments to discern the difference; but i'd rather not be put in that situation. The risk is low for being shot, because we'll work and wait for the birds to move into range and out in the open. Shotguns are not effective unless used in the open and irresponsible to use unless the target can be verified. All that being said, the most important reason for not wearing blaze orange is the turkey can see it; just as they can see red, white and blue. If a cyclist is wearing it in a area that a hunter is working/calling a few tom's it will mess up a hunt PDQ. Keep in mind hunters can call birds in from a half mile or more.

Regards

Rod

Thanks
Old 12-04-17, 06:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

@SquidPuppet A lot of it has to do with the way different game species eyes and vision work. Here's a pretty good article explaining the differences and why you wear what for different hunts.

Do I Need Camouflage to Hunt? ? Modern Hunters

Of course on your bike what really matters is how the hunter sees you

Last edited by dedhed; 12-04-17 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-04-17, 07:38 AM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may actually be seeing Tamaracks. They are deciduous conifers that their needles turn yellow and fall off every year. Ann Arbor Native: Tamarack, the conifer that dares to be different
I've seen Western Larch that do the same thing, but these trees weren't it. Mostly pine and fir trees. They were just plain old sick. Back in the day (pre Timothy McVeigh) one of my teachers carried a huge bag of nitrogen in the trunk of his car, that way he could put some on the soil around an evergreen that was yellow.