Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Will self-driving cars increase or decrease bike usage?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Will cycling increase or decrease due to AVs?
AVs will INCREASE the amount of cycling.
23.08%
AVs will DECREASE the amount of cycling.
19.23%
Amount of cycling won't be affected much by AVs.
57.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 05:04 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know we already have a self-driving car thread, but that one is focused on safety. I intend for this one to be about how they will affect bike usage. Or will they?

I think Autonomous Vehicles (AVs) will cause bike usage to increase for the following reasons.
  1. More and more people will use AV taxis to get around and won't own their own cars.
  2. Because they won't own their own cars, and an AV taxi hits the wallet every time, they will opt to bike and walk more often.
  3. The roads will feel and be safer with computer rather than fallible human drivers.

What do you think, and why?
Old 01-31-18, 05:28 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Bike usage will go down because bikes and AVs are competing solutions to the same problems of congestion and scarcity of parking. AVs will free up a lot of parking space and make driving more practical. The need for bicycles will be reduced.
Old 01-31-18, 05:33 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
AVs will be fine for longer trips, but bikes still offer great short trip spontaneity.
Old 01-31-18, 05:43 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
AVs will be fine for longer trips, but bikes still offer great short trip spontaneity.
I thought of something else. Without cars hogging up garage space, those who get rid of their cars will have more room for bikes and maintenance equipment, making a bike just sitting there ready to go more likely.
Old 01-31-18, 06:39 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Garage? What is this “garage” you speak of.

So many assumptions....

-mr. bill
Old 01-31-18, 07:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
This is a Bicycle advocacy forum not an AV forum, Can this get moved to Foo or P&R or some place else? Or the OP can find an AV forum.

as to the question...no impact because

AV have nothing to do with reasons people don't use bike for errands/commutes etc

Old 01-31-18, 07:32 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
This is a Bicycle advocacy forum not an AV forum, Can this get moved to Foo or P&R or some place else? Or the OP can find an AV forum.

as to the question...no impact because

AV have nothing to do with reasons people don't use bike for errands/commutes etc
I expect AVs to have very extensive and fundamental changes in our personal transportation choices and therefore to also affect the use of bicycles. Currently I keep my car available largely because it is far more convenient and frequently more economical than such options as Uber/Lyft, conventional taxis, our very occasional bus service, etc.
If AVs make such options more practical (i.e. Uber without the need to pay drivers, frequent local automated jitneys, etc.) then I'd be far more likely to initially drop to only one car in the family and eventually to none. I already use my bike for most of my short-distance utility trips and would expect that to increase to essentially all such trips if there weren't the temptation of riding right past the available car on the way out the garage.

OTOH, for those who don't currently use a bicycle for transportation a major reason cited is the safety concern. Some of this is undoubtedly wishful thinking, but I expect some is also a valid concern and if AVs replaced most of the dangerous human-controlled vehicles it would eventually allay most of those fears.
Old 02-01-18, 01:51 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Garage? What is this “garage” you speak of.

So many assumptions....

-mr. bill
You know... half that big empty space that came with the house... part of which you have already converted to a man cave. Now just keep the rest of that space for your N+1 bicycles.
Old 02-01-18, 04:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I think it is like asking whether elevators and escalators will increase or decrease climbing stairs. Give people an easier choice, and they'll take it.

Autonomous vehicles likely will make driving easier. Plus, it will likely increase the number of eligible drivers. There would be no reason not to decrease the driving age from 15/16 down to 10... or lower. Or perhaps eliminate the driving age restriction. Let the parents decide when they wish to allow the kids to take the car out.

No longer will young teenagers be banished to riding bikes for transportation. Likewise, a DUI restriction wouldn't make much sense.

If accident rates do in fact go down, speeds might increase, and there might be less stimulis for cities to add more lanes to roads. I.E. more, faster traffic on our roads.

I just don't see us getting a new cycling paradise.

Future cycling will be affected by future fuel prices, and social and political pressure, as well as a changing exercise and fitness landscape.

Will we get more leisure time, or will people still desire to work 2 or 3 jobs?
Old 02-01-18, 05:34 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
You know... half that big empty space that came with the house... part of which you have already converted to a man cave. Now just keep the rest of that space for your N+1 bicycles.
No big empty space came with the house. (The house is older than the pedal velocipede, let alone horseless carriages.)

No carriage house either. Barn and the farm was gone shortly after the G.I. Bill passed.

It’s a farmless house.

-mr. bill
Old 02-01-18, 07:19 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I think it is like asking whether elevators and escalators will increase or decrease climbing stairs. Give people an easier choice, and they'll take it.

Autonomous vehicles likely will make driving easier. Plus, it will likely increase the number of eligible drivers. There would be no reason not to decrease the driving age from 15/16 down to 10... or lower. Or perhaps eliminate the driving age restriction. Let the parents decide when they wish to allow the kids to take the car out.

No longer will young teenagers be banished to riding bikes for transportation. Likewise, a DUI restriction wouldn't make much sense.

If accident rates do in fact go down, speeds might increase, and there might be less stimulis for cities to add more lanes to roads. I.E. more, faster traffic on our roads.

Future cycling will be affected by future fuel prices, and social and political pressure, as well as a changing exercise and fitness landscape.

It might go that way... but driving ANY car, be it human driven, or full robotics, takes money. Riding a bike just takes a bit of labor. No doubt the economic inequality gap will continue. Less fortunate will still need to get around. Even in a post apocalyptic scenerio like Blade Runner, bikes exist.

I suspect we won't fully go down that path, nor become the Jetson's world either.

With self driving cars fully in compliance with rules of the road, it should become safer to bike. Besides, there are always the narrow offroad paths that kids and young adults tend to favor anyway... that AVs will not use.

Folks like mr bill are just gonna have to find room for a bike or two somewhere.

I used to hang mine from the stair railing, when I lived in a small downtown apartment.
Old 02-01-18, 11:21 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
i expect avs to have very extensive and fundamental changes in our personal transportation choices and therefore to also affect the use of bicycles. Currently i keep my car available largely because it is far more convenient and frequently more economical than such options as uber/lyft, conventional taxis, our very occasional bus service, etc.
If avs make such options more practical (i.e. Uber without the need to pay drivers, frequent local automated jitneys, etc.) then i'd be far more likely to initially drop to only one car in the family and eventually to none. I already use my bike for most of my short-distance utility trips and would expect that to increase to essentially all such trips if there weren't the temptation of riding right past the available car on the way out the garage.

Otoh, for those who don't currently use a bicycle for transportation a major reason cited is the safety concern. Some of this is undoubtedly wishful thinking, but i expect some is also a valid concern and if avs replaced most of the dangerous human-controlled vehicles it would eventually allay most of those fears.
+1000
Old 02-01-18, 11:26 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think many kids and teens will lose the parent chauffeur and will be faced with two options:
  1. Spend allowance (if any) on an AV taxi ride, or
  2. Walk/bike and spend said allowance on food/drink/tickets/games, etc.

In many cases economics will necessitate option 2. Hence more biking.
Old 02-01-18, 12:56 PM
CliffordK

I just don't foresee an end to individual car ownership as autonomous vehicles come out. If taxi rates come down, then we may see some people choosing to use taxi services more frequently. Or perhaps choose single car ownership in a family that would otherwise have had two or three cars.

But, taxis will likely remain "for profit" industries. So, individual car ownership may still be cheaper.

Some people may choose to outfit their cars for driverless uber runs... have them make money while one is working. But that may still be a minority of car owners.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi shopping. But, I assume one has two choices. One either pays for idle time, or one has to schlep one's worldly possessions from store to store... just about like cyclists who are forced to leave their backpacks up front... just because they may be thieves??? Thus... again, more convenient to have one's own car. Have a few conveniences that one leaves in one's car? Or always have a "go bag" with one to toss into the taxi?

Will anybody frown if one puts one's own bumper stickers on the taxi when it arrives?

Oh, and if accident rates come down, then insurance rates should come down. Or, if accident rates are reduced to near zero, the mandatory liability (and comprehensive) insurance requirements may be lifted, and thus individual car ownership might also become cheaper.
Old 02-01-18, 01:31 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Decrease slightly. If there's a cheap and timely taxi available, those who commute by bike will be tempted to take the easy way out on those cold rainy days.

Powered vehicles will be less environmentally friendly than bicycles for a long time (maybe forever), so the environmentally minded and the fitness minded won't be giving up their biking for the most part.
Old 02-01-18, 01:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
"Amount of cycling won't be affected much by AVs."

Because AV's are not going to be anything more than a tiny piece of the transportation choices available any time soon, if ever. Yeah, I know, there's a few running in a few cities. Don't hold your breath for the big rollout.
Old 02-01-18, 02:05 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't foresee an end to individual car ownership as autonomous vehicles come out. If taxi rates come down, then we may see some people choosing to use taxi services more frequently. Or perhaps choose single car ownership in a family that would otherwise have had two or three cars.

But, taxis will likely remain "for profit" industries. So, individual car ownership may still be cheaper.
But there are efficiencies that are available to taxis due to frequent use that are not available to private car owners who use their cars relatively infrequently, and these efficiencies amount to cost savings and thus ride fare lowering, even with profits.

But the biggest efficiency will be from car pooling. Lyft has reported that already half of their rides in San Francisco are using their Line (pooled) service. The popularity of pooling can only increase as hailed services increase in popularity, which they surely will with fare drops due to autonomous driving, and so pooling becomes more and more efficient.

Some people may choose to outfit their cars for driverless uber runs... have them make money while one is working. But that may still be a minority of car owners.
Agreed. And that would address only how some of the cars are supplied.

I don't think I've ever taken a taxi shopping. But, I assume one has two choices. One either pays for idle time, or one has to schlep one's worldly possessions from store to store... just about like cyclists who are forced to leave their backpacks up front... just because they may be thieves??? Thus... again, more convenient to have one's own car. Have a few conveniences that one leaves in one's car? Or always have a "go bag" with one to toss into the taxi?
I think holding a car for yourself will be relatively cheap, as the only cost to the company is lost opportunity. The holding price will probably fluctuate - relatively high during peak demand commute times but otherwise probably near zero, since many cars will be sitting idle anyway. So it drops you off at the front of the store. You take your bags, run in and shop. It parks. As you check out you summon it so it's waiting for you as you walk out. Put your stuff in the back and off to the next store. Repeat. It's even easier than shopping with your own car because you don't have to park and walk to and from parking.

Will anybody frown if one puts one's own bumper stickers on the taxi when it arrives?

Oh, and if accident rates come down, then insurance rates should come down. Or, if accident rates are reduced to near zero, the mandatory liability (and comprehensive) insurance requirements may be lifted, and thus individual car ownership might also become cheaper.
Maybe.
Old 02-01-18, 02:07 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
"Amount of cycling won't be affected much by AVs."

Because AV's are not going to be anything more than a tiny piece of the transportation choices available any time soon, if ever. Yeah, I know, there's a few running in a few cities. Don't hold your breath for the big rollout.
What do you envision as the insurmountable obstacles?
Old 02-01-18, 02:28 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
I think holding a car for yourself will be relatively cheap, as the only cost to the company is lost opportunity. The holding price will probably fluctuate - relatively high during peak demand commute times but otherwise probably near zero, since many cars will be sitting idle anyway. So it drops you off at the front of the store. You take your bags, run in and shop. It parks. As you check out you summon it so it's waiting for you as you walk out. Put your stuff in the back and off to the next store. Repeat. It's even easier than shopping with your own car because you don't have to park and walk to and from parking.
Hmmm...
Reminds me of Egypt.

Once you get a Taxi, you can't get rid of them. They won't let you pay at the end of a one-way ride. Rather, they'll be patiently waiting for you to go tour some ruins and come back.

And, they'll wait for you at the hotel the next day, whatever hour you roll out of bed.

But, it all depends, in part whether new infrastructure can be built. For a city with say 100,000 people, perhaps one would need 10,000 taxis. That is a lot of taxis. And, even with that, there would likely be rush hour conflicts and surcharges. New York, of course, has a lot of taxis (as well as Uber and Lyft). But, it would take a whole new infrastructure across the USA, as well as a huge influx of capital.

So, sure, one might be able to afford to have a car wait at 10:00 AM and 8:00 PM, but they won't want cars sitting in parking lots during peak hours. Will the people like variable rate schedules?
Old 02-01-18, 03:23 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm...
Reminds me of Egypt.

Once you get a Taxi, you can't get rid of them. They won't let you pay at the end of a one-way ride. Rather, they'll be patiently waiting for you to go tour some ruins and come back.

And, they'll wait for you at the hotel the next day, whatever hour you roll out of bed.

But, it all depends, in part whether new infrastructure can be built. For a city with say 100,000 people, perhaps one would need 10,000 taxis. That is a lot of taxis. And, even with that, there would likely be rush hour conflicts and surcharges. New York, of course, has a lot of taxis (as well as Uber and Lyft). But, it would take a whole new infrastructure across the USA, as well as a huge influx of capital.

So, sure, one might be able to afford to have a car wait at 10:00 AM and 8:00 PM, but they won't want cars sitting in parking lots during peak hours. Will the people like variable rate schedules?
Hailed ride services already used variable rate schedules. Uber calls it surge pricing.

Even if 10% of a population is on the road at peak time, that's when single person ride rates will be highest, and pooling will be most popular, so one car for each of those in that 10% will not be required.
Old 02-01-18, 05:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Decrease slightly. If there's a cheap and timely taxi available, those who commute by bike will be tempted to take the easy way out on those cold rainy days.
Agreed. The only thing that it will affect is those who cycle out of lack of other option, not those who cycle out of desire.
Old 02-01-18, 06:29 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts

There is no "Driving Age" for an autonomous vehicle.

The will be no to minimal change. People will still be operating motor vehicles on the roads.
Old 02-01-18, 07:06 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IThere would be no reason not to decrease the driving age from 15/16 down to 10... or lower. Or perhaps eliminate the driving age restriction. Let the parents decide when they wish to allow the kids to take the car out.
Driving age will not be relevant in a car without a human driver.
Old 02-01-18, 07:25 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Most of my time/mileage on a bicycle is spent in the Sport of Cycling, no flavor of any vehicle would affect that in any way.
Errands on my town bike would be similarly unaffected.

Total effect of AV on bicycle use = 0.

-Bandera
Old 02-01-18, 07:36 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Most of my time/mileage on a bicycle is spent in the Sport of Cycling, no flavor of any vehicle would affect that in any way.
Errands on my town bike would be similarly unaffected.

Total effect of AV on bicycle use = 0.

-Bandera
Some follow-up, if I may.

Do you think it's possible that you'll find autonomous hailed rides so cheap and convenient that you'll find yourself not using your own personal car much at all anymore, until you realize you don't even need it? Why or why not?

Assuming you do sell all your personal cars so your only options will be to use a hailed car or bike or walk, do you think your choice to bike will be more likely than when you still owned a car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.