Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

seatpost recommendation - more setback

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 07:19 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right now i have a specialized toupe saddle, but i get numb if i'm on it too long. i've tried a couple of other saddles with no luck. currently testing a selle SMP, but i just don't really like the way it feels. i have an ISM adamo on my tri/TT bike, and i threw that on the road bike today. felt great, and as funky as it looks, i might have to grab another one for the road bike.

only problem: since you sit way out on the nose, i can't get enough setback with my current seatpost (stock jamis post), which already has some setback. not sure how much but i'll measure it soon. any recommendations for a good seatpost with a lot of setback?

thanks!
Old 02-14-12, 08:16 PM
sbxx1985 

Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
fsa.
Old 02-14-12, 08:42 PM
M_Wales
Retired USAF, C-130 Guy

Bikes: Shopping

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I using a Deda Blackstick with 25mm setback and love it...
Old 02-14-12, 08:45 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thomson Setback Seatpost?

I use a 3T one... just because it matches the bike.

Both are 25mm setback I believe. I don't know of one that has more...
Old 02-14-12, 09:01 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by todayilearned
Thomson Setback Seatpost?

I use a 3T one... just because it matches the bike.

Both are 25mm setback I believe. I don't know of one that has more...
for the record, thomson setback only gives 17mm setback.

I'm not sure how much the OP wants or what his seatpost size is, so I'll just recommend kalloy UNO, which has 30mm of setback and comes in a plethora of sizes
Old 02-14-12, 09:24 PM
ljsense

Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
The OP seems to be taking it as a given that you have to sit way out on the nose of a saddle on a TT bike. But that's what's causing the numbness: the nose of the saddle is pressing in an area where blood would like to flow.

Instead of looking for a seatpost with MORE setback, which will just make the problem worse, I would try to look for a fit where you are not sitting on the nose of the saddle, but rather are supported by your sit bones.
Old 02-14-12, 09:28 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed.

Originally Posted by ljsense
The OP seems to be taking it as a given that you have to sit way out on the nose of a saddle on a TT bike. But that's what's causing the numbness: the nose of the saddle is pressing in an area where blood would like to flow.

Instead of looking for a seatpost with MORE setback, which will just make the problem worse, I would try to look for a fit where you are not sitting on the nose of the saddle, but rather are supported by your sit bones.
Old 02-14-12, 09:30 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense

no - first of all, i'm talking about my road bike. second, i was saying that you sit way out on the nose specifically with the adamo saddle. all of the other saddles made me numb no matter where i sat. i've been fitted multiple times.

thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

also, i did a BF search before i posted this, but just realized i forgot to do a google search. turns out i'm not actually the first person ever to have this question after all. oh well...a little repetition never hurt.
Old 02-14-12, 09:35 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
If you like a bit of a retro look Velo Orange is a nice seat post with a full 30mm of setback. Pretty reasonable price to try out different positions.
Old 02-14-12, 10:07 PM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fizik Cyrano has 25mm setback. It's a nice post, but I don't prefer the tilt adjustment on it though.
Old 02-15-12, 04:13 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrTuner1970
Fizik Cyrano has 25mm setback. It's a nice post, but I don't prefer the tilt adjustment on it though.
Really? I kind of like the adjustment on that post.
Old 02-15-12, 05:15 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 671 Times in 512 Posts
Originally Posted by climber7
no - first of all, i'm talking about my road bike. second, i was saying that you sit way out on the nose specifically with the adamo saddle. all of the other saddles made me numb no matter where i sat. i've been fitted multiple times.

thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

also, i did a BF search before i posted this, but just realized i forgot to do a google search. turns out i'm not actually the first person ever to have this question after all. oh well...a little repetition never hurt.
Ok, so if you have a Toupe that is the correct width (Ass-o-meter0, it should not be making you numb unless it is angled up too much, and possibly your saddle height is too high. The equations and all are fine, but the fact is your actual best height can be above or below the calculated value. I found it is real easy to get just a little too far forward or a slight bit too nose-up, resulting in numbness. If the saddle is too narrow, (a 130 is too narrow for me and my bar height), you'll never become supported by your sitbones, and perineal pressure will be inevitable.
Old 02-15-12, 06:46 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
Really? I kind of like the adjustment on that post.
Might just be me. But, it seems quicker and easier to have the traditional two-bolt setup. With the Cyrano, the rear bolt has to be loosened quite a bit for the thumb wheel to be turned. Then, you have to either tighten the rear bolt very tight, or use an allen wrench to tighten the bolt that is "inside" the thumb wheel. (To keep from overtightening the rear--and it's hard to get that allen wrench in there unless there is a cutout on the saddle. Mine doesn't have one.)

It's probably just me, but I like the two-bolt system for ease. Now, the Cyrano is a darn fine looking post! I really like that, and having the numbers etched on the post is great if one is having problems with the post slipping down (which I had).

So I'm using it now, and would get one again. But I still like the traditional setup.
Old 02-15-12, 08:13 AM
valygrl

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think Ritchey has a post with adjustable set back that is more than 25mm. "Way-Back" or something like that.
Old 02-15-12, 02:25 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the OP needs to find out why he is seating in the front of the saddle to start with. What bike is he talking about??? apparently is a road bike but many riders have the wrong fit or simply bad riding style and customs that they try to mask changing something in the bike like the saddle or the stem. When the real problem is the wrong posture riding the bike.

The toupe saddle works but if you seat in the front of the saddle the cut out wont work It was designed to seat your @ss bones in the back not in front.

As for the seat back, you seat in the front of the saddle from what you say, no matter how far back the saddle is you will seat in the same place, in a matter of fact if you move the saddle even more back you will seat even more front (bad posture), I would move the saddle to the front just to test, that will put your bones closer to the right place and probably the cut out will start working. If you notice that you are seated in the same place than before then you have moved the saddle to the front then you can infeer something, you have a bad position over the bike.

Reasons to seat wrong?

- maybe you are loading too much gear and probably you can't move the gears comfortable, not the same 53x16 at 90 rpms than 53x12 and 40 rpms, specially if you are not strong neither have high cadence built.

- maybe bad customs and bad style. The only way to fix that in my books is to do a lot of fix gear.

- saddle too high???

- wrong frame size?

- wrong stem???

-etc

Good luck.