Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why No Shimano 50th Anniversary Group?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why No Shimano 50th Anniversary Group?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 02:04 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I'm beginning to think their reasoning not to produce a 50th DA set is a combination of a couple things:

(1) Lack of ability to bling-up black components; It's boring to even look at the R9720 "group" on-line.
The black finish color is just a powder coating. It's not like Campy where half the components are carbon and therefore inherently black. They could powder coat it a metallic black with sparkles. Or metallic grey, or going against the grain - all white.

(2) The decimation of the true groupset--A boxed set containing Shifters, Derailleurs; disc brake calipers, discs and a crankset is pretty boring. Being virtually all black doesn't help. See (1) above.
The old 25th anniv had a watch thrown in there. I'm sure Shimano could convince Wahoo or whoever, to make a color-matched computer head unit and include it in the box set.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-22-24, 02:34 PM
MattoftheRocks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
I, a C&V fan, would be into a 7400 reissue… if it had 74mm bosses so as to be a pretty but usable triple or a great wide/low double with a pant guard for gravelly folks. @$250 I think Velo Orange could move quite a few units.

I hate carbon and view it as being something gen Z and the following generations will lump in with Lead, Radium, and Asbestos, but a 50th Annv groupset released in this age really would’ve made sense to be clear coated ti-carbon reinforced resin for that Fast & Furious look to go on Aethos-like bikes. I think there’s probably a few hundred professionals with a cycling hobby who’s happily swing $900 for that subtly different crank.
Old 02-22-24, 02:55 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
In this case, the 50th anniversary window has opened and closed. Issuing replica or reissue components--now there's a possible avenue to please a lot of people! As mentioned, there is precedent: Lionel constantly re-issues versions of its classic trains from the 1950s, sometimes using original tooling. Schwinn released a stunning replica of their Black Phantom in 1995; Cinelli their Laser Nostra.

Shimano could easily produce replica/re-issues of its most iconic groups, while still offering electro-draulic stuff for those who want it.

It would be a win-win-win!
Old 02-22-24, 05:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
In this case, the 50th anniversary window has opened and closed. Issuing replica or reissue components--now there's a possible avenue to please a lot of people! As mentioned, there is precedent: Lionel constantly re-issues versions of its classic trains from the 1950s, sometimes using original tooling. Schwinn released a stunning replica of their Black Phantom in 1995; Cinelli their Laser Nostra.

Shimano could easily produce replica/re-issues of its most iconic groups, while still offering electro-draulic stuff for those who want it.

It would be a win-win-win!
Reissuing old bike components is a niche within a niche. It'd be more of a marketing thing than an actual moneymaker.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-22-24, 09:48 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
while still offering electro-draulic stuff for those who want it.
Old 02-23-24, 05:00 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
How did this anniversary group idea morph into a C&V remake? Were any of the previous anniversary groupsets vintage remakes? I got the impression they were the current generation of their time.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-23-24, 05:19 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by PeteHski
How did this anniversary group idea morph into a C&V remake? Were any of the previous anniversary groupsets vintage remakes? I got the impression they were the current generation of their time.
It wasn;t an idea; just an inquiry.
Old 02-23-24, 05:40 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
How do you know they know what they are doing in this instance? Shimano is the 800lb Gorilla in the bike industry. But you know what, 800lb gorillas make mistakes too.

You have no basis for your guess. You don’t provide any explanation of why your guess would have any reasonable chance of happening.

Against all this nothing, Shimano being an “800 lb gorilla” is a vastly stronger argument.That doesn’t help you at all. This is why your guess is bad.

That “they still might be making a mistake” doesn’t work as an argument since making a special “anniversary edition” might be a mistake too.

A 'missed opportunity' is a value judgement. In other words, it is subjective. I am not making any predictions as to whether customers would readily buy it or not.
You don’t even say WTF you mean by “missed opportunity”.

You don't even know why Shimano didn't come out with an anniversary groupset, how do you figure their reasoning must be correct when you don't know what their reasoning is?
This is silly. The point you keep missing is that we don’t have to know any details to expect Shimano is likely not making a mistake.

You don’t do any “figuring” at all why they are making a mistake. You’ve only made an unsupported claim.

That what Shimano does is the “odds on favorite” seems rather obvious. But you are arguing the opposite is and providing no reason. That doesn’t make sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-23-24 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 05:48 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by njkayaker

You have no basis for your guess. You don’t provide any explanation of why your guess would have any reasonable chance of happening.
Kind of a relief to see you being nasty to everyone. When you were so awful to me, I thought it was personal, but it turns out you're just generally hostile in every direction. Fewf.
Old 02-23-24, 06:07 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Kind of a relief to see you being nasty to everyone. When you were so awful to me, I thought it was personal, but it turns out you're just generally hostile in every direction. Fewf.
??? I was firm to you in the spam thread (now deleted) about your ridiculous comments about the mods being incompetent (and unethical) for not deleting that thread fast enough for you. Is that what you are talking about?

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-23-24 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 06:17 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Perhaps someone with Shimano connections could contact their marketing department and inquire about this (late) Dura Ace 50th anniversary group that everyone would have enjoyed seeing? Maybe they had a few for dealers or trade shows but the photos somehow never leaked out?

To me, I can really appreciate all the high end subtlety of the more modern Dura Ace parts the way they will mix polished silver, matte black, gloss black, etc.. almost too sublime. And is it just me or did they make mid-series changes in chainring finishes, rear derailleur finishes, wheel hub finishes with hardly any press release at all? I’ve seen ones that have these sophisticated blends of smoked platinum and silver anodizing transitioning into black. But maybe these parts just look different in changing light conditions.

But if they would have done a 9100 series 50th anniversary Dura Ace group in a custom fitted display case, it would be super cool if they could have included in that case some high polish Dura Ace Centerlock disc hubs with matching 12mm through axles, a seatpost with 50th anniversary graphics and premium seat clamp for carbon saddle rails, bling detailing of the disc calipers, etc…

I like the last mechanical disc 9100 series (9120) which has now been discontinued and for my niche I’d put my vote in that the last Dura Ace cable actuated shifters be commemorated for this phantom 50th anniversary collector set. But I realize that it would be much more impressive of them to have the Di2 version in the bling display case maybe paired with the most fully detailed Garmin head unit integration yet…

Last edited by masi61; 02-23-24 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 02-23-24, 06:23 AM
PeteHski

It wasn;t an idea; just an inquiry.
Call it what you like. My question was why are some people in this thread talking about it being a C&V set when none of the previous anniversary sets were. Or were they? I’m assuming they were just blinged up, overpriced versions of the current group set of the day.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-23-24, 06:43 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
You don't always need customers to buy a thing. Shimano (if they wanted to) could send anniversary sets out as promotions to shops, display the set at trade shows or in their lobby, do print ads with it, or whatever. Tons of companies do anniversary stuff like that.
There wouldn’t be much point in this if it didn’t increase sales (even indirectly). Seems like shops would appreciate a better deal than expensively-produced display bling, which doesn’t seem like something customers would really care much about.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-23-24 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 07:28 AM
smd4

Call it what you like. My question was why are some people in this thread talking about it being a C&V set when none of the previous anniversary sets were. Or were they? I’m assuming they were just blinged up, overpriced versions of the current group set of the day.
Like I said: You can't bling-up black. Since you can't do that, we reverted to the next-best-thing: Bringing back a group or two that you can bling up.

Clear?
Old 02-23-24, 07:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Like I said: You can't bling-up black. Since you can't do that, we reverted to the next-best-thing: Bringing back a group or two that you can bling up.

Clear?
Got your bling right here.

Not blingy, but murdered-out has its own charm.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-23-24 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 07:48 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Got your bling right here.

Always wondered about the difficulty in lacing those wheels. Crazy.
Likes For smd4:
Old 02-23-24, 07:51 AM
smd4

Hydra-lectric, maybe?
Old 02-23-24, 08:02 AM
PeteHski

Clear?
Well clearly Shimano were not interested in putting out a retro-anniversary group set. Have they ever done that before?
Old 02-23-24, 08:02 AM
njkayaker

People may be talking about it being a C&V set because they are having a hard time seeing a special edition of Di2 making much sense. What would that be? Gold plated? Even more black than it already is (which would be more money for something that doesn’t look much different)?

People here pining for an anniversary set probably wouldn’t buy it anyway. They’d probably complain about how ugly it was.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-23-24 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-23-24, 08:09 AM
njkayaker

Clear?
How far back? 9 speed?

They could bling a mechanical 12 speed group (if it’s still being produced). But I’m not sure if there would be many people actually interested in paying more for that to “worse” technology (not electronic shifting).

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-23-24 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-23-24, 08:17 AM
smd4

Well clearly Shimano were not interested in putting out a retro-anniversary group set. Have they ever done that before?
They weren't interested in putting out ANY anniversary group. And the time has already passed anyway. Hence the turn of the discussion into what could have been. We're in the realm of "what ifs" at this point.
Old 02-23-24, 08:18 AM
smd4

How far back? 9 speed?

They could bling a mechanical 12 speed group (if it’s still being produced). But I’m not sure if there would be many people actually interested in paying more for that to “worse” technology (not electronic shifting).
I think that's right on the money.
Old 02-23-24, 08:34 AM
njkayaker

I think that's right on the money.
Not many people see electronic components as something they could use for “a long time”. An anniversary electronic set might look a bit silly fairly quickly.

People don’t appear to go with Shimano due to “tradition” (which is what an anniversary set relates to).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-23-24, 08:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
This thread gets the Blue Ribbon for most spot on BF General Thread of the Week.
It has...
- wild speculation.
- criticism of that wild speculation, immediately followed by...speculation.
- complaints of black groupsets not being pretty.
- longing for older components.
- misreading posts and criticism based on having misread the posts.
- strong disconnect between how much something would cost for a company to do, and the value it would bring.
Old 02-23-24, 09:13 AM
smd4

Not many people see electronic components as something they could use for “a long time”. An anniversary electronic set might look a bit silly fairly quickly.

People don’t appear to go with Shimano due to “tradition” (which is what an anniversary set relates to).
Both great points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.