Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wow - the carbon bits from China are starting to look pretty impressive

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wow - the carbon bits from China are starting to look pretty impressive

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 10:42 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
A madone isn't a madone for the geometry.
So what is it then? The poor paint jobs or the breaking steer tubes?
Old 12-28-10, 10:44 PM
Spring Water
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MegaTom
So what is it then? The poor paint jobs or the breaking steer tubes?
Old 12-28-10, 10:56 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice vid on the TIME ...
Old 12-29-10, 04:36 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravenmore
pics or it didn't happen.
Here's one some guy on RBR built up. Don't particularly like the FM028, prefer the FM015.

Old 12-29-10, 04:46 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
hideous.
You forgot to add "friggin"... those are some fugly frames.
Old 12-29-10, 04:57 AM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Hey - it's a TT frame. And the fork on the 2nd would probably look like it 'matched' more with a headset installed. In the pic its just sitting loose in the steerer tube.
Total shill.
Old 12-29-10, 05:03 AM
scirocco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
You forgot to add "friggin"... those are some fugly frames.
Yeah, the Dengfu FM015 frame looks a lot better to my eyes than the FM018. Here's a couple that guys at RBR have built up, plus a Pinarello fake. One benefit of these $400 frames is that they will do whatever decals or colour scheme you want for a few bucks extra.

You can tell that the Pinarello Prince isn't genuine by the external brake cable routing.

Old 12-29-10, 05:31 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

It has to be said...

It's nice to see all those hard earned dollars flowing across the pond to support Asian manufacturers and foreign economies... if it was not for a few small builders the North American bicycle industry would be dead.

All this talk about how good Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturing is... that used to be us and we used to make the products we consumed and used.

We used to make some world class bicycles and now, if it was not for a handful of small companies and builders, the North American bicycle industry would be dead.

We could do carbon fiber...
Old 12-29-10, 05:36 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Sixty Fiver - you've gone down that path in other threads. Put your money where your mouth is, and do it.
Old 12-29-10, 05:38 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by billyymc
Sixty Fiver - you've gone down that path in other threads. Put your money where your mouth is, and do it.
I need company on this path.

Won't be riding or buying another bicycle that I did not make myself or wasn't built on this continent.
Old 12-29-10, 06:30 AM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
A madone isn't a madone for the geometry.
I realize that, but if someone is looking for stack/reach information because they can't ride one of these before hand, this can be somewhat relevant information.

pics for ravenmore

FM028 Bike by adam_mac84, on Flickr
Old 12-29-10, 06:34 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Which one is the FM015? Any ideas on the weights? Would be interested in links to the threads too.

Originally Posted by scirocco
Yeah, the Dengfu FM015 frame looks a lot better to my eyes than the FM018. Here's a couple that guys at RBR have built up, plus a Pinarello fake. One benefit of these $400 frames is that they will do whatever decals or colour scheme you want for a few bucks extra.

You can tell that the Pinarello Prince isn't genuine by the external brake cable routing.

Old 12-29-10, 06:39 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It has to be said...

It's nice to see all those hard earned dollars flowing across the pond to support Asian manufacturers and foreign economies... if it was not for a few small builders the North American bicycle industry would be dead.

All this talk about how good Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturing is... that used to be us and we used to make the products we consumed and used.

We used to make some world class bicycles and now, if it was not for a handful of small companies and builders, the North American bicycle industry would be dead.

We could do carbon fiber...
But you're Canadian right?

Dude, so we should exclude options just because of nationality? I go out of my way to buy things at local bike shops - like the Castelli jacket I'm wearing right now that I could have bought much cheaper across the pond. These local businesses depend on items from overseas. Economics isn't as simple anymore.
Old 12-29-10, 06:52 AM
faire_du_velo
Junior cyclist

Bikes: Scattante r-330

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one is the FM015? Any ideas on the weights? Would be interested in links to the threads too.
The top two are Fm015s, the bottom one is the chinarello.
Here are the links to the threads on RBR, starting with the earliest one.

1: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=198213
2: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=217331
3: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=225409
4: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...d.php?t=234445
Old 12-29-10, 07:03 AM
reif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do own one of these generic frames (HF-FM001 to be exact) but I must admit, from time to time I feel a bit bad when riding it. I did save some money by buying it direct from China but what did I do with the money I saved? Bought more Chinese crap. All the money went straight to east without any western middlemen. Somehow I have a feeling this will end bad.

There are some guys at Roadbikereview who seem to be actually very proud of their pirated Pinarello Prince or when they have put popular brand stickers to their frames.. Now that's idiotic.
Old 12-29-10, 07:15 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

But you're Canadian right?

Dude, so we should exclude options just because of nationality? I go out of my way to buy things at local bike shops - like the Castelli jacket I'm wearing right now that I could have bought much cheaper across the pond. These local businesses depend on items from overseas. Economics isn't as simple anymore.
It is not about nationality and shopping local is important but it goes deeper.

Countries like ours and many countries in Europe were at one time, great industrial nations and now we have become nations of consumers... and debtors.

We buy a lot, but produce less and less.

Pretty soon, China will cease to be a source of cheap labour and they will follow Taiwan and Japan where the standard of living and wages have increased which makes local production too expensive... this is already happening in China.

So where do the jobs go next ?

I figure that soon people will be talking about how great these Indian and African made frames are and "Made in China" will be like "Made in Japan" in that these goods will no longer be cheap.

Would be nice to see the next wave of production have a "Made in USA" sticker or a "Made in Canada" sticker and maybe we could be like BobD and say, I just live a few miles down the road from the factory that made my stuff and this stuff is great.

If our economies continue to falter we may just be willing to provide some cheap labour just so people have jobs.
Old 12-29-10, 07:19 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Here's another problem with Chinese goods: right now the Road Bike Review and MTB Review boards are full of people moaning about how their 5 year old Litespeeds detonated and ABG (American Bicycle Group) is not honoring the warranties. ABG are just being weasels of course (the Chattanooga TN Better Business Bureau gives them an 'F' rating, this is their standard operating procedure, so think about that before you buy a Litespeed, Merlin or QR), but apparently the word is that they were buying cheaper Ti tubing from China a few years back, far inferior to the stuff they were using before. That's a key, the quality of the materials, and given Chinese companies' notorious reputation for ruthlessly cutting corners to save money (some firms literally don't care if it winds up killing you), I'd be rather circumspect about getting too excited about buying no-name Chinese stuff and expecting it to perform like a Cervelo or Trek. In other words, you are taking your chances here.
Old 12-29-10, 07:34 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

That being said, it is possible to get Pacific rim products that perform and hold up - depends where it's sourced from - and Bikes Direct has done a great job in that area. I've also had good experience with them on customer service. I don't think they have had a lot of issues with all these low cost Ti frames they have been selling for the last several years. So it's company by company in this situation. You can find a good source, but don't assume they're all going to be good.
Old 12-29-10, 07:53 AM
flatlander_48
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
I know him very well.
I used to frequent Cosby II (never liked Cosby I, too much like a hole in the wall) and a co-worker told me about Cow Boy's shop. That's how I wound up going there. It was about 3 blocks away and around the corner. Just before I left town, he opened a 2nd shop on the street where the baseball stadium is/was (can't think of the name). His plan was to eventually consolidate at the new location, but I don't know if that happened. I heard the Robert (never knew his family name) eventually closed Cosby II. I was really surprised to come to Taichung to find that Robert had opened a branch here. Anyway, Cow Boy was a neat guy and a lot of fun to be around. I rode with him and his bunch once. Sort of weird to see 3 or 4 guys light up during our rest breaks...

Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Good guess. I can't figure out how you would know that.
Vee Haff Our Vays...
Old 12-29-10, 08:04 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
That is a shame about Litespeed. They were a very high standard of quality and a reputable company. ABG seems intent on pissing that away.

I own a 2001 Ultimate that I scored NOS off eBay awhile back but that seems to be around the cut-off date for when LS was really LS.

Shame...
Old 12-29-10, 08:09 AM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Pcad has it right (egads...). You can and should be wary of some Chinese product w/o being xenophobic. Here in S. Fla, home of the housing bubble, "Chinese Drywall" (sheetrock) is a 4 letter word. Stuff gave out chemical gases that smelled and literally corroded electrical fixtures. People sued but there was, ultimately, no one the courts could reach. Brand new houses were having to be completely gutted of interior walls and ceilings.

Of course most of those houses are vacant and in foreclosure now......
Old 12-29-10, 08:10 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
That being said, it is possible to get Pacific rim products that perform and hold up - depends where it's sourced from - and Bikes Direct has done a great job in that area. I've also had good experience with them on customer service. I don't think they have had a lot of issues with all these low cost Ti frames they have been selling for the last several years. So it's company by company in this situation. You can find a good source, but don't assume they're all going to be good.
You mean like Cervelo and Trek?
Old 12-29-10, 08:15 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Products sourced from the rim that have big western companies stamping their name on them, warrantying them and providing strict quality control - that certainly isn't the problem. It's the Taiwanese or Chinese products you get from these cheesy websites that have no guarantees. The implication that there is any similarity is not only grossly misleading, it's quite naive.
Old 12-29-10, 08:17 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
I'll tell you what. The next time you build a house, get some of that high quality low cost Chinese sheetrock. Let us know how that works out for you.

I'll go to Home Depot and spend a couple of grand more on a North American main line brand.
Old 12-29-10, 08:19 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Products sourced from the rim that have big western companies stamping their name on them, warrantying them and providing strict quality control - that certainly isn't the problem. It's the Taiwanese or Chinese products you get from these cheesy websites that have no guarantees. The implication that there is any similarity is not only grossly misleading, it's quite naive.
I was half agreeing with you and supporting the point that it's the responsible companies that make it work, not the manufacturers of the goods. So Pacific rim products is a generalization with undeserving negative connotations...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.