Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Getting back in the saddle - a couple questions

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 09:53 AM
ultravisitor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey! 36 years old here, 6'1", about 240 lbs., and still catching my breath from last night's ride. Just kidding, but I digress. I've got a couple questions I'd love some opinions on, so I can get back into the swing of things.

I think a numbered list would be best, and I hope I don't ramble too much.

#1. About 5 years ago I did a solid year of bike commuting to work. 6 miles roundtrip, pouring rain, snow storms, and it was a complete success.

Fast forward to last night. I got the bike out of the basement after a year off, was proud of how I cleaned it up, cleaned and lubed the chain, got the tires up to the proper PSI, and hit the road. ONE mile in, I realized I forgot basic things like where to put my feet when I stop the bike, I was dehydrated after a whole bottle of water, my legs felt like rubber, and I came home. It literally took a half hour in air conditioning to feel normal again.

You guys have all experienced something similar, right? I know there is no secret to improving, just... keep taking the bike out for a mile, until it becomes 2 miles, 3, 4, etc. But I was very disappointed in myself.

#2. My bike is a single speed (KHS Urban Soul), White Industries freewheel (NOT fixed), and last night it all came at me like an explosion: "WHY do I have a single speed bike?" I'm sure when I got it, I was trying to look cool like the other guys on the street flying past me, but being able to breathe is probably more important. lol. I mean, having to stand up just to get enough momentum to pedal off of a red light cannot be good for either me, or my bike, right? Is there any experience/science to support that single speeds are possibly not as good for... larger folks? Or is it just me?

Thanks!

Editing to add: I have zero pain or issues today, so I am assured it's not bad fit, or a serious issue. I'm just rusty. Very rusty.

Last edited by ultravisitor; 08-28-17 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-28-17, 11:10 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Never really forgot the mechanics of riding ... stopping, starting, clipping in, etc ...

but you're out of shape ... plain and simple. Happened to me earlier this year after a shorter layoff than you're talking about. Keep riding, it'll get better. But you might want to think about getting yourself some gears
Old 08-28-17, 12:17 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
#1 Yes, you're out of shape. More riding will help.

#2 I haven't rode a single speed bike since i was a kid, and living in PA (hilly) I can't see me buying one any time soon. However, your issues relate to #1 I would guess, if you were able to ride this bike before over the same terrain.

Certainly if you want to get back into shape, having gears is going to make your life easier IMHO, but that of course would require buying a new bike.
Old 08-28-17, 03:36 PM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
1 - out of shape indeed, but will probably make some big leaps in a short time. I started riding again in mid-June after a long layoff, and could barely do 2 miles the first week. Now I do 10+ per day at least 5 days a week, and 20-ish on Sundays. Keep riding and the distance/time will come.

2 - I can't imagine riding a single speed! I loves my gears. I live in a hilly area, and would not be doing what I'm doing without the gearing to make it tolerable. I'd say if you can afford a new bike with decent gearing, it'd make getting in biking shape easier and more fun.
Old 08-28-17, 05:40 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
single speed is more mental game than anything. And really its three speeds, you just select of the follow

Sit and pedal
stand and pedal
walk

Get fit enough that you don't have to do #3 often on hills. Change out your gearing is the best way to do this, rear cogs are cheap, around $20-40 and can save some pain. Also mentally you have to ram hills at full speed and lose RPM as you get higher. Trying to turn low cadence up the entire thing from the bottom will lead to #3.

Good luck and have fun!!
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-28-17, 06:03 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father told me a couple years ago on on RAGBRAI there was a guy in his 60's riding a single speed bike. He had a sign on the back that said "Real men ride single speeds!" I don't think I would argue that he wasn't a real man lol.
Old 08-28-17, 08:19 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't feel too bad--I'm going through basically the exact same thing... lol.
Old 08-29-17, 06:02 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

I know people who ride single speed around here, and they're hardcore and I have nothing but respect for them as cyclists.

I suppose you could get a smaller chainring up front if you didn't want to buy a geared bike. Lower the gearing on your single speed!
Old 08-29-17, 07:01 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Or change the cassette cog to a larger one.
Old 08-29-17, 10:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Never really forgot the mechanics of riding ... stopping, starting, clipping in, etc ...

but you're out of shape ... plain and simple. Happened to me earlier this year after a shorter layoff than you're talking about. Keep riding, it'll get better. But you might want to think about getting yourself some gears
I have been there. Out of shape. 5 1/2 years ago. Off the bike about 2 years, and up a few lbs or so. Memorial Day weekend. Temps are a little warm. Maybe 80 degrees or so. I get the bikes out, get them all ready. We head off on one of our usual routes. 2 miles in, I am gassed on a small incline that in my fitter self, I barely notice. Feel a little light headed so I have to dismount the bike and sit down on the ground and drink a bottle of water. After about 10 minutes, I slow roll home, and I have to lay down and rest. Horrible feeling. The only time I felt that bad the last 5 years since was a couple of years later after a 40 mile ride in 90 degree heat.

As far as the single speed, I don't know what to tell you. IMO, single speeds are for the young and the skinny, though I am sure I will get some pushback.
Old 08-29-17, 10:31 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by MRT2
As far as the single speed, I don't know what to tell you. IMO, single speeds are for the young and the skinny, though I am sure I will get some pushback.
I think they're fine if you live somewhere that's completely flat!
Old 08-29-17, 10:46 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
I have been there. Out of shape. 5 1/2 years ago. Off the bike about 2 years, and up a few lbs or so. Memorial Day weekend. Temps are a little warm. Maybe 80 degrees or so. I get the bikes out, get them all ready. We head off on one of our usual routes. 2 miles in, I am gassed on a small incline that in my fitter self, I barely notice. Feel a little light headed so I have to dismount the bike and sit down on the ground and drink a bottle of water. After about 10 minutes, I slow roll home, and I have to lay down and rest. Horrible feeling. The only time I felt that bad the last 5 years since was a couple of years later after a 40 mile ride in 90 degree heat.

When I started up again this year, there was a 12 mile loop that I would do most often ... and three miles in, there's this small hill (and honestly, calling it a hill is doing hills a disservice), but when I started I felt like I wouldn't make it up, and zig zagged it a couple of times. Now it's like a little speed bump. It's very encouraging and gratifying to not even flinch at the idea of that little bump these days.
Old 08-29-17, 10:53 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm going to suggest a different path: If you're bike has a flip-flop hub, flip it over to the fixed side. Commit to leaving it there for a month. I had a single speed for a year or two, then I started breaking spokes on the rear wheel. I built a new wheel with a flip-flop hub and that bike has never freewheeled again (6 years now?) Disclaimer: It's not my only bike; I have other bikes with multiple gears.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-29-17, 11:13 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
When I started up again this year, there was a 12 mile loop that I would do most often ... and three miles in, there's this small hill (and honestly, calling it a hill is doing hills a disservice), but when I started I felt like I wouldn't make it up, and zig zagged it a couple of times. Now it's like a little speed bump. It's very encouraging and gratifying to not even flinch at the idea of that little bump these days.
Yes it is. Yesterday, I went for a ride with my son. 18 miles into our ride, there is a longish hill that gives me trouble every spring. As we approach, I tell my son to take the hill at whatever speed he wants and just stop at the top. And while he took the hill faster than me, it wasn't that much faster. I was only 10 or 15 seconds behind him. He barely had time to put his foot down when I reached the top.
Old 08-29-17, 11:18 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I know people who ride single speed around here, and they're hardcore and I have nothing but respect for them as cyclists.

I suppose you could get a smaller chainring up front if you didn't want to buy a geared bike. Lower the gearing on your single speed!
Love love riding a fixed gear!

It has a totally different level of connection to the bike than an SS or a geared bike.
Old 08-29-17, 11:23 AM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by rgconner
Love love riding a fixed gear!

It has a totally different level of connection to the bike than an SS or a geared bike.
So I hear. The biggest issue for me is that I live in the 45th flattest state in the USA.
Old 08-29-17, 12:49 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
So I hear. The biggest issue for me is that I live in the 45th flattest state in the USA.
Is that good or bad?

Climbing on a Fixie is not so bad, but going down hill?

Eat your Wheaties.
Old 08-30-17, 11:00 AM
ultravisitor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't expect so many replies. Thank you for the support, everyone. I appreciate it.

I wrote a much longer reply here, but when it comes down to it, I'm over-thinking things, so I'm editing it. I will just ride my bike more, period. Problem solved.

Last edited by ultravisitor; 08-30-17 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 01:52 PM
McCallum

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saying we are talking start over . . . I took 3, 4,5 years off the bike (and walking for that matter). As others have said, you is out of shape so yeah you (and I) are going to be dogged after a ride. I promise it will get better!! After four rides over about a week, my knees, which by the way are trashed after one fall where one leg went forward and the other was heel to butt cheek and assorted other thing including 290 pound walking on them knees (I understand multiply weight by 2 or 3 and you have the pounds of pressure that is on your knees joints when you walk or stand) are not as talkative about pedaling.

As for single speed bike NO IDEA!!
Old 09-07-17, 05:34 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding Single Speeds, when I was commuting to work (6 or 7 miles each way) a few years back, one of the bikes in my circle was a single speed CX bike... It was geared perfectly for the slightly undulating route I took (no mega hills, but a couple that had me sweating...). It was a ton of fun, and I would ride it as often as I could (leaving my 10-speed Campy equipped bikes mostly at home). As I mentioned above, I, too, am getting back into riding regularly and am definitely feeling it. My first ride on my new bike was a tick over 2 miles and had me feeling the exact way you were. I suspect I'll be up to 10-15 mile rides in no time, and am hoping to ride to the beach a few times before the end of the year (about 32 miles each way).

Keep the SS, buy a gear bike, and revisit the SS when you're ready. You'll be glad you did...
Old 09-08-17, 11:04 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I concur with everyone here. Out of shape and the single speed! I know what the jelly legs feel like. Just keep at it, don't burst yourself. Take it easy and enjoy it. I built myself up a single speed really to motivate me to get out and wow I went out once and never again. I dismantled the wheel and built it back up geared and never again! Well I say that but I probably will. I won't until I'm a lot fitter though. My knees were screaming at me and I literally thought I damaged them. I'm about 320lbs so might not be the same for you.
Old 09-08-17, 02:28 PM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't think a single speed is a good idea, especially if your not toughened up to it. You really need to be able to keep up a steady cadence, 60 - 70 rpm and being able to shift gears is critical to that. Higher rpm's (and lower resistance) will also allow you to go further. At your stage I don't think it's a good idea to think you'll toughen up to the resistance. Your knees don't work that way.

Also, do some hydration before you start. If you wait till you're thirsty, you're behind your body's need and you won't catch up while exercising. Drink a half bottle of water before you head out the door. And have a banana. It's one of a cyclist's best friends for energy and potassium (which you sweat out).
Old 09-08-17, 06:58 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I would ask how fast were you trying to go. If you were trying to haul ass on rolling/hilly terrain on a single speed, then try a slower pace until you get more miles in. You may have gotten used to a higher speed when you were riding regularly. If you were just tootling around at a slow pace on flat ground and felt that bad, you may want to consider more gears and just doing very short distances for a week or so. BTW-Was it hot out? I find that saps me quick, especially if it had been cool for a while.
Old 09-11-17, 02:48 AM
checoles

Bikes: Tern Link A7 Folding Bike, Marin Gestalt 2019

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 238 pounds, and recently did a alleycat on a fixie. 25 miles but it spread out over the day, stopping here and there to do this and that. That was fine. I tried doing 10 miles straight on it a week later, and came home breathless. Changed the 16t cog at the rear to a 18t, and it made the world of difference.
I highly recommend changing your rear freewheel up a couple of teeth, you'll notice a vast improvement. Either that, or go to a geared bike.
Old 09-11-17, 06:38 AM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#2. My bike is a single speed (KHS Urban Soul), White Industries freewheel (NOT fixed), and last night it all came at me like an explosion: "WHY do I have a single speed bike?" I'm sure when I got it, I was trying to look cool like the other guys on the street flying past me, but being able to breathe is probably more important. lol. I mean, having to stand up just to get enough momentum to pedal off of a red light cannot be good for either me, or my bike, right? Is there any experience/science to support that single speeds are possibly not as good for... larger folks? Or is it just me?

Thanks!

Editing to add: I have zero pain or issues today, so I am assured it's not bad fit, or a serious issue. I'm just rusty. Very rusty. [/QUOTE]

I have 4 single speed/track bikes that I never ride. I ride for fun and exercise and that is why they are a pain to ride. I have been riding my road bike/s because they are way better when it comes to miles logged.