Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading XXIX

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 09:59 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Forgot to mention ... after I posted my miles today.

Had my first encounter with a dog (dogs) today in years. Was tooling down some backroad I hadn't been on before, doing a little exploring and a lot of climbing as it turned out, was coming down this hill freewheeling (my freewheel is super loud) and these dogs just started going nuts. Saw a big black one come off the front porch area and figured I'd be ok, because there was like a small hedgerow in between me and the dog ...

Nope, dog came charging through a small open spot and was really just giving me the business, barking, circling me ... so I slowed down, and kept the dog in my sights ... kept slowing down and the dog kept barking ... when he finally appeared to be questioning what he was doing I summoned my best loud voice and shouted "GO!" and pointed away ... and he shut up and was confused ... so I did it again ... and he finally backed off and went back toward his home. I slowly coasted away, keeping an eye out behind me.

Owner never came out ... I'd been thinking about getting some dog spray or even bear spray but had put it off. I hadn't had any dog issues this year, and this one wasn't even that bad. Gave me goosebumps on my leg though as I rode away ... might be ordering that spray after all
Old 09-23-17, 12:28 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
Good to be in SoCal again!! Today was Los Osos to Santa Barbara, 122miles n 5k vertical

Hopefully another solid performance tomorrow
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-23-17, 08:30 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

I'm officially done with my tour. I've used up the time I allotted to myself. I miss my family dear. I came up about 85 miles short of my goal to Oceanside. I'm at peace with this and it's not worth riding in the dark beyond LBC or even on Camp Pend.

My legs and body can go more but I'll cap it off at 558 miles, 23,816ft of climbing, pedaling for 38 hours, on the road likely a 1/3 more from gas stations to food spots. It's been a very fun solo adventure, I meet some cool and crazier people and really nice family that opened up their home to me on my rest day. I gave what I could to others in need, I gave to myself all I could in these 6 day. I feel blessed, truly. Thanks for the support �������� Today's leg was only 113 miles
Old 09-23-17, 09:19 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I'm officially done with my tour. I've used up the time I allotted to myself. I miss my family dear. I came up about 85 miles short of my goal to Oceanside. I'm at peace with this and it's not worth riding in the dark beyond LBC or even on Camp Pend.

My legs and body can go more but I'll cap it off at 558 miles, 23,816ft of climbing, pedaling for 38 hours, on the road likely a 1/3 more from gas stations to food spots. It's been a very fun solo adventure, I meet some cool and crazier people and really nice family that opened up their home to me on my rest day. I gave what I could to others in need, I gave to myself all I could in these 6 day. I feel blessed, truly. Thanks for the support �������� Today's leg was only 113 miles
I followed your entire ride my friend. Major kudos!!
Old 09-24-17, 05:53 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
Congrats, well done!
Old 09-24-17, 06:02 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm sure there is so much you are taking away from this journey. I envy anyone who has a dream like this, and goes out and conquers it. Way to go!
Old 09-24-17, 08:22 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

It was truely an amazing adventure and re-defining even my own doubts and fear about doing something like this. It was a hell of a rookie's first tour. 4 of 6 days were centuries or more. My body is a freak but my mind was strong and it helped me through the tougher times. Riding thru farms r us was awesome then scary as I ran out of light and literally in the middle of now where for 2.5 hrs. Area so dark that he milkyway popped out of the sky. So pretty!!! Then getting a flat tire under the dark and still 15miles of rolling hills on 2 lane roads. that was a crazy day.

Everyday was unique, everyday had its own challenges and its own highs. In the end I averaged a bit above 15mph on my fully loaded bikes, average 7-9hours of pedaling. Tent sleeping bag, air pad, air pillow. 1 pound cable lock, 4 tubes 1 spare tire. And all the other lil things u might need. Power was provided by the 15w solar panel and 10000mah battery. 2 bike kits, 2 socks pairs, 2 different gloves, casual clothes, flip flops and my cow bell. I didn't use my gorilla tri pod and my camera sling strap was only good for first day. It was irritating my bad shoulder after day 2.

Like what is stitched on my Rapha bags "pack light, go farther"
Old 09-25-17, 08:56 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I followed along as well ... loved it. Might consider doing something like that myself next season here in Wisconsin.

Smaller hills, fewer oceans
Old 09-25-17, 01:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
550 miles across PA (Erie to Philly) completed yesterday. Came face to face (~ 20') with what I estimate was a 350+ lb. black bear while leaving camp on morning 3. Saw a smaller one from a safe distance a few days later. Will post a link to pics once I get them sorted out.
Old 09-25-17, 01:54 PM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was truely an amazing adventure and re-defining even my own doubts and fear about doing something like this. It was a hell of a rookie's first tour. 4 of 6 days were centuries or more. My body is a freak but my mind was strong and it helped me through the tougher times. Riding thru farms r us was awesome then scary as I ran out of light and literally in the middle of now where for 2.5 hrs. Area so dark that he milkyway popped out of the sky. So pretty!!! Then getting a flat tire under the dark and still 15miles of rolling hills on 2 lane roads. that was a crazy day.

Everyday was unique, everyday had its own challenges and its own highs. In the end I averaged a bit above 15mph on my fully loaded bikes, average 7-9hours of pedaling. Tent sleeping bag, air pad, air pillow. 1 pound cable lock, 4 tubes 1 spare tire. And all the other lil things u might need. Power was provided by the 15w solar panel and 10000mah battery. 2 bike kits, 2 socks pairs, 2 different gloves, casual clothes, flip flops and my cow bell. I didn't use my gorilla tri pod and my camera sling strap was only good for first day. It was irritating my bad shoulder after day 2.

Like what is stitched on my Rapha bags "pack light, go farther"

Once again, kudos Jsig! It's awesome living vicariously through you!
Old 09-25-17, 02:35 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Thank you!!

Check out my thread for pics. I'll post some more tonight
Old 09-25-17, 02:46 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by indyfabz
550 miles across PA (Erie to Philly) completed yesterday. Came face to face (~ 20') with what I estimate was a 350+ lb. black bear while leaving camp on morning 3. Saw a smaller one from a safe distance a few days later. Will post a link to pics once I get them sorted out.
Dang!! No bears for me, I did have a cow give me a mean look while it was next to the cattle grate

Can't wait to see the pics! I've my gone through some of what I took.
Old 09-26-17, 09:17 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That was weird ... out for a ride this morning, and I live in a rural area. I mean, some of you guys have 30+ segments on your rides, I peak at three or maybe four.

It's rare I run into other cyclists. Came upon one today, on one of my loops. He rode through the intersection as I approached and then I turned right and ended up following him. I knew the road was going to tip up so I didn't bother passing him, but on our way down he ended up pulling off to the side at the next intersection and said, "Have a good one" as I turned and headed toward town. I believe he was in cargo shorts and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off.
Old 09-27-17, 08:38 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Fall has definitely returned ... mid to low 50s this morning ... still in shorts and short sleeves, but those days are numbered. The temp is supposed to yo yo a bit over the next week or so. We'll see
Old 09-27-17, 08:52 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Meh we still have another month before I have to break out the arm warmers

My tan lines are still getting worked on
Old 09-27-17, 08:56 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Hey, I wore arm warmers this past Friday. But at 6,700ft, it was 50º at noon. And the wind was even colder.

But yeah, this is SoCal. My bib tights get worn less than 20 times a year.
Old 09-27-17, 10:05 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I've been wearing my quarterzip pullover this week, and even light gloves. Lovin the 'cold' weather; very unusually fall-like for San Diego in September.

In the deep of 'winter' I add a merino sweater midlayer to that ensemble (always shorts), and I'm good to go
Old 09-27-17, 10:12 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Hey, I wore arm warmers this past Friday. But at 6,700ft, it was 50º at noon. And the wind was even colder.

But yeah, this is SoCal. My bib tights get worn less than 20 times a year.
which ridge line did you go up to?
Old 09-27-17, 12:49 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I'd have to look at a calendar, but there was a day in March that I can say was the lowest point in my life. It was the day that I realized I couldn't walk anymore. Seriously. My right leg was paralyzed and my left have very little movement. The cancer in my back had fractured the L5 vertebrae and was pressing on my spinal chord. My PT lady was there and tried to help me stand, but it just wasn't coming. 13 cycles of radiation got me moving again. I can now walk, and each day and chemo treatment that goes by allows me to walk just a little bit better, but if I stick my right leg straight out in front of me, I can not lift it up. It just won't go. So.....I got $100 on this bet, but I'm putting my money on you, not me. I'm putting $1,000 on my wife not letting me anywhere near that mountain!

I go in for an MRI of my back this coming Friday, then at some point I'm meeting with the Neurosurgeon to see if he wants to operate. What we do NOT want to hear is that there's no point in operating if I only have x amount of months left. So far, so good. He didn't say that in our first appointment, but he hadn't seen my MRI yet. So, we will see.
Damn Joe, very sorry to hear this. Prayers sent.
Old 09-27-17, 01:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
which ridge line did you go up to?
Took my poor wife around the figure-8 of Baldwin Lake and Big Bear Lake. Garmin showed a minimum elevation of 6,710ft and a max of 6,915ft. So the total climbing was small, but I didn't stop to think about the effects of the elevation-- cold, and less oxygen-- she was wiped out for a full day, and I think I weakened her to where she got a head cold. I'm a terrible person.
Old 09-27-17, 02:26 PM
jimincalif

That's some thanks she gets for buying you a new bike!
Old 09-27-17, 02:31 PM
jimincalif

A member of our club crashed and died yesterday while participating in a club ride. Apparently ran into the back of a maintenance vehicle parked on the side of the road. It is not known if he simply didn't see it or if he was experiencing a medical issue that caused this, he was 78 years old but a pretty strong rider. I didn't know him real well, we chatted a couple of times during coffee stops.

This sucks. Be safe out there!
Old 09-27-17, 02:42 PM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That's awful
Old 09-27-17, 06:30 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Crud..... $560.00 bill for home electric repair (it is still less expensive than a fire), and because of the electrical problem i have a bill to fix my computer (adding an SSD for the operating system, and reloading the data, with a service call to the house).

Looks like i get to save up again as a 61cm Bianchi is calling my name as is a Garmin Virb
Old 09-28-17, 10:44 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

SSD are getting cheap. I got a Samsung EVO 500gb at frys a few weeks ago for around 130.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.