Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 05:49 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Very nice. I have a Lambert TA copy without chainrings that I would like to incorporate as a wide range double on a future build, but always find myself wringing my hands about what size chainrings to buy. I'm glad to hear that it works well, what front derailleur are you using? Regardless, I've always felt that upshifting performance is never as critical as downshifting performance. I've never found myself in a situation where I absolutely needed to get into the big ring, but things can certainly get difficult when you just can't get the chain on to the small ring. I'm currently having that issue with my Velo Orange with a 50-40-30 triple. It doesn't really want to go down into the 30t ring if I'm more than halfway up the 8 speed cassette, so I either have to be very mindful or make a double shift.
Agreed that upshifting performance is not as critical as downshifting. I like to keep momentum and downshift to the little ring just as it's needed. As I said above, with this setup throwing the lever to the stop just drops the chain onto the little ring and away you go, no fuss. Getting back to the big ring is a little more finicky, but I haven't fine-tuned anything on this yet. A slight rotation of the derailleur might be called for as I'm also having to trim more than I would expect while in the big ring. The front derailleur is a Shimano CX-70 and I'm using a 9 speed chain. Most of this article likely doesn't pertain to your situation, but this blurb about the CX-70 sums it up nicely:
"A good option is the Shimano CX-70 front derailleur (above). This derailleur is designed for cyclocross bikes with smaller chainrings, so its curve matches that of the smaller rings, and its cage is short enough that it doesn’t hit the chainstays, which can happen when you use standard derailleurs with small chainrings. The CX-70 derailleur is a great choice, whether you run a double or a triple."

On another note... I'm now regretting throwing a grungy used chain on while waiting for a fresh cassette to arrive. Chainrings will need some time at the ultrasonic spa before throwing a fresh chain on.
Old 09-23-18, 07:27 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
An interesting article that Id like to revisit later as time (and memory) permits.
Old 09-23-18, 08:10 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
My day started with an hours' drive to Menomonie, Wisconsin. There I picked up another bicycle that I don't need. But this is one I've wanted for a long time.

The seller had it configured to suit him, with a Lauterwasser handlebar and rubber grips. It looked great, but it handled horribly. I bought it, took it home, and after an hour in the shop, made it my own.

I'm only showing the one photo for now because I'm probably going to bore you with too many in the future. And I'm not sure this is the final configuration for this bike.

As some of you may know, I name all my bikes. This is what makes them so difficult to sell. With the riding position and the fact that this is a single-speed, I call this bike "The Punisher".

And so it begins...

a lot of customising done to this, I’m impressed. Did it start as a gu’vnor or a roadster model? That fork is certainly not an original Pashley model, did you customise that or do you buy it with that fork?
Old 09-23-18, 08:54 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

a lot of customising done to this, I’m impressed. Did it start as a gu’vnor or a roadster model? That fork is certainly not an original Pashley model, did you customise that or do you buy it with that fork?
It started out as an early 1970s Roadster, and the seller swears that the fork is in-fact original. Before I bought it, I did extensive research, and it appears that they used this other style fork as well in the past. For instance, this is the fork they put on the bikes they built for the Royal Mail. And here is a bit of another Roadster converted into a path racer that I found on a German site:

The headbadge that is on there now isn't the original, the seller gave me that one to keep with the bike. He wanted the newer style one on there, because back in the early 70s, Pashleys were rocking this:

Almost psychedelic, no?

I can sympathize with his aesthetic sensibility, but I'm surprised that Pashley sold him a loose modern headbadge. So yeah, I had my doubts going in. But then I met the guy, and put my suspicious mind at ease. He owns a modern Pashley roadster as well as several other very nice bicycles, and he's a retired photographer. That explains the need to have everything just so. Nice guy, though.

I rode it again this morning, and I'm already getting used to the sportier riding position. My recently broken wrist is complaining, but that will go away given time. Can't wait to ride it to work.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-23-18, 12:36 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

It started out as an early 1970s Roadster, and the seller swears that the fork is in-fact original. Before I bought it, I did extensive research, and it appears that they used this other style fork as well in the past. For instance, this is the fork they put on the bikes they built for the Royal Mail. And here is a bit of another Roadster converted into a path racer that I found on a German site:

The headbadge that is on there now isn't the original, the seller gave me that one to keep with the bike. He wanted the newer style one on there, because back in the early 70s, Pashleys were rocking this:

Almost psychedelic, no?

I can sympathize with his aesthetic sensibility, but I'm surprised that Pashley sold him a loose modern headbadge. So yeah, I had my doubts going in. But then I met the guy, and put my suspicious mind at ease. He owns a modern Pashley roadster as well as several other very nice bicycles, and he's a retired photographer. That explains the need to have everything just so. Nice guy, though.

I rode it again this morning, and I'm already getting used to the sportier riding position. My recently broken wrist is complaining, but that will go away given time. Can't wait to ride it to work.

Had the original head badge been on the bike I would probably not have been confused. I know the roadster model goes a pretty good ways back, maybe all the way to 1928? But with that late model head badge I knew that fork was odd. I have a modern roadster sovereign. It was a birthday gift from my ex-wife when I lived in the UK. I agree the roadster is very, very nice. Probably the smoothest bicycle I’ve ever ridden. Of course it’s weight, geometry among other things would indicate that without riding it. I am still intrigued about the wheels though. Are those 700c rims? Because those certainly aren’t 635 Westwood’s. I’m willing to bet if you visited the factory at Stratford-Upon-Avon they would sell you one, if you could provide a serial number, but I know from personal experience that they can be quite difficult to deal with when it comes to this sort of thing, as a tried to get them to sell me a decal kit and a set of roadster fenders for a friends guv’nor a few years ago when he repainted it. (I did the rebuild). Anyway, fantastic bike you’ve now got, enjoy!

Last edited by seamuis; 09-23-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 02:16 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 191 Posts
Quick Ride

Went on a quick local ride today. Nothing very interesting to take a picture of, bike is back on rack.
Old 09-23-18, 03:52 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Story time:

So today I rode the couch.
But yesterday!! I went on my first group ride! That I organized!?!

Weeks ago I got into a conversation at a bike shop with a guy who had recently started bike collecting and doing some parts flipping to help defer costs. He and I talked for about an hour, exchanged info with an open ended “let’s go get a ride in sometime” and took off.

In the following weeks I subsequently sold off a couple bikes. A Cannondale ST400, and the Marin drop bar conversion. Both to guys were looking for riders, and one was 2 weeks new to Chicago (Marin guy).

Well, Shop guy sent me a text he was going for a spin yesterday and was I free? I was, and I sent texts out to my friend Will who I’ve been helping restore his Fuji Espree, and to the buyers. One of whom (ST400 guy) had a knowledgeable biker friend come with him to help evaluate the Cannondale. (She thought the bike was great, and was shocked when she picked it up at the weight)
So the six of us met at a Chicago bike swap and rode up Damen, to the North shore channel trail, stopped for a beer, went further North to the Baha’i temple, and took lake shore back!
It was awesome! A small enough group to stick together easily, and make route changes on the fly. Everyone got along, and wants to go again! Ages were 23 to 39, all different jobs, it was just the best!
A few folks dropped out for plans, but Will, myself, and Marin guy, all had burgers after the ride and we went out separate ways.

I’m inviting the group for Wednesday night, get in an after dark blast down the Lake shore MUP. Should be pretty clear after dark.

And after everyone showed up I saw why knowledgeable friend was surprised by the Canny. She had a steel tourer with a wide front basket and fenders etc. I wish I’d caught the brand and model, but ST400’s bike had every attachment point hers did and probably weight 4/5 pounds less than hers did beFORE she added rackes and accessories. Those old ST’s man! Awesomely light and crazy versatile.

So that’s the ride report! Today I’m taking some Vitamin I and doing house work. I took my Black Lightning, which was the perfect bike for the first third of the ride, and then gradually less so. The ride made me feel like Jr. high school, but today I’m back to 39!

Last edited by Chr0m0ly; 09-23-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 05:21 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Stormy skies, sun and orange jerseys mark the coming of fall

Bob by NBend, on Flickr

Andy wants photo credits because this is taken with his old camera :-) thanks for the camera, Andy!

Andy by NBend, on Flickr

Steve is riding his newest acquisition: A 60’s era Pela

Steve by NBend, on Flickr

Some local color

'Merica by NBend, on Flickr

Some bike geeking at our lunch stop in Carnation

Bike geeking by NBend, on Flickr

Pumpkins at Jubilee Farm

Pumpkin harvest by NBend, on Flickr
Old 09-23-18, 05:23 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Had the original head badge been on the bike I would probably not have been confused. I know the roadster model goes a pretty good ways back, maybe all the way to 1928? But with that late model head badge I knew that fork was odd. I have a modern roadster sovereign. It was a birthday gift from my ex-wife when I lived in the UK. I agree the roadster is very, very nice. Probably the smoothest bicycle I’ve ever ridden. Of course it’s weight, geometry among other things would indicate that without riding it. I am still intrigued about the wheels though. Are those 700c rims? Because those certainly aren’t 635 Westwood’s. I’m willing to bet if you visited the factory at Stratford-Upon-Avon they would sell you one, if you could provide a serial number, but I know from personal experience that they can be quite difficult to deal with when it comes to this sort of thing, as a tried to get them to sell me a decal kit and a set of roadster fenders for a friends guv’nor a few years ago when he repainted it. (I did the rebuild). Anyway, fantastic bike you’ve now got, enjoy!
Well, again this speaks to the reality of dealing with a vintage bike, regardless of the marque. The original wheels were shot. The seller replaced them with the best he could afford, which is a very nice double-walled alloy rim laced to modern Sturmey-Archer drum-brake hubs. I still intend to add a geared hub to this bike, Sturmey Archer, of course. But which one remains a mystery. It all depends on what I can find, and build up on my stand this winter.

Here are some photos of this morning's ride:

The relatively flat section of trail along the river made for a very pleasant ride. The bike was a great conversation starter everywhere I stopped. What a great day out!

Old 09-23-18, 07:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I didn't ride today, but my legs and butt got lots of exercise going up and down stairs. I live in a 4th floor apartment, and our elevator has been down since June, getting its motor replaced. Our stairs are old and steep. I had lots of errands to do, including laundry in the basement.

I could have ridden, but the weather was lousy, and I seem to have contracted a cold. I walked out on some peers on the Hudson River. It was nice to get some air. The air inside seems dirty, and it's better outside, but it's still dirty.

Jersey City is on the far side of the river. The river is nearly a mile wide at this point.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-18, 07:21 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Only rode down to the coop, and back home. Nothing picture worthy.
Old 09-23-18, 07:51 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 1,709 Posts
Too bad about the cold, Tom. When the weather changes I have to be very careful about putting on plenty of layers when I ride. I seem to be overly sensitive to changes in temperature when riding. If I work up enough of a sweat I often get chilled - no matter how much I wear. It's kinda irritating, honestly.

I got away with two layers, knickers and socks today.

I wasn't sure whether it would be dry for the entire ride so I chose a bike with some paint

DD
Old 09-23-18, 08:12 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
I did 100 mike fondo today on the Pinarello on the tip on Nova Scotia, Canada. Could not possibly have had better weather.

Old 09-23-18, 08:28 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
It was a fun day out today Matt and thanks for the photo credit!
Old 09-23-18, 09:16 PM
Ballenxj

Lot's of gorgeous scenery and bikes here folks.
Well, again this speaks to the reality of dealing with a vintage bike, regardless of the marque.
<-------->
Here are some photos of this morning's ride: .
Man, I'm really digging this bike, and especially the seat stays.
Old 09-24-18, 02:06 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
Rode to a few places here, and there on errands. Arriving at one destination in particular, I noticed that the bike racks were full. Having to hitch the Trek up with one of the many locked bikes, so I making the most logical choice...

I really regret not sticking around longer, hanging out off to the side, waiting suspensfully to see the Peugeot’s rider’s facial expression!
Old 09-24-18, 06:34 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,871 Times in 1,065 Posts
That is a serious gear ratio. 😛

229 year old cemetery.

Old 09-24-18, 07:49 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
That is a serious gear ratio. 😛

its 86 inches, 3.21 ratio. It’s heavier than ‘normal’ but it’s not that crazy. 90+% of the time I ride 77 inches, 2.90 ratio
Old 09-24-18, 06:06 PM
patrekrider

Bikes: Trek Hybrid, will enter model number once I know

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
09-19-18 I rode the 202 Parkway Trail in Bucks and Montgomery Counties, PA. This highway was built to bypass a heavily-used section of US 202 that runs through two small boroughs (Chalfont and New Britain); originally it was going to be a full-fledged freeway but after local opposition and many forums and discussions, it was scaled down to a parkway. A win-win, if I say so myself. Most of this road has both bike lanes and a segregated trail, so you can use whichever you prefer. It is approximately 8-1/2 miles in length.

The one adjustment some folks may have to make is unlike a typical rail trail, this one does not run along a waterway or old rail bed, so there are going to be numerous hills going both ways. Nothing that will drain you, though, as long as you use your head and use your gears.

I wanted to share a pic but apparently I can't do that until I have at least 10 posts. Why not?
Old 09-25-18, 12:40 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
Green again after a brown summer

Old 09-25-18, 06:08 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by patrekrider
I wanted to share a pic but apparently I can't do that until I have at least 10 posts. Why not?
Forums that I'm familiar with usually set that minimum to prevent hit and run spammers from posting their crap. I agree with that policy. I see you now have ten posts, so you should be good to go?
Old 09-27-18, 10:18 AM
RHETTORIC

Bikes: Diamondback Podium 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in Chicago and had my daily commute. I live in the South Loop and get on the very south end of Dearborn St. Because it has a dedicated bike lane, I can take Dearborn all the way to work. Chicago is a beautiful city and I need to pay more attention during my morning/evening ride.
Old 09-27-18, 11:28 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Lime Bike Abuse

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. These Lime Bikes have only just been introduced to our fair Twin Cities, and already the local hooligans are abusing them:

What a sad commentary on the state of our civilization. Or something...

Old 09-27-18, 12:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm sorry I'm laughing, @DQRider. It is a sorry thing, but your pictures are just so good that you made it funny, whether you meant to or not.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-27-18, 02:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts

Olympic Peninsula. Home of Mt. Olympus. Nice to be near the gods. Truly can claim the phrase - gods’ country. So beautiful I have seen Nature’s Aphrodite. And a climb worthy of Mercury’s wings.

Wed ride is highlighted, out and back - but worth the rewind.

Tuesday afternoon ride was to Lower Elwha on left of pic.

Here’s closer location of the destination.
Crab season coming = yum.

Mentally counts!

Some coast @ Port Angeles, then covered + partial sun then open flats. A few short/steep

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-27-18 at 02:23 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.