Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for a "Do-It-All" bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 09:03 PM
jk95

Bikes: 2021 Jamis Coda S2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m a 380+ lb rider who is looking to replace my slightly too big pandemic era commuter bike (Jamis Coda S2). I’m truly looking for a steel commuter/gravel all-rounder bike to ride throughout Seattle. Initially, I thought I would love the Surly Bridge Club or Jamis Renegade S4. However, after doing test rides I came to the following conclusion:
  • Surly Bridge Club: Plush, nostalgic ride, but too sluggish
  • Jamis Renegade S4: Very OK
After increasing my budget, I am now looking at the Surly Midnight Special, Surly Straggler, and All-City Space Horse (GRX) as options. I’ve had the opportunity to test ride both the Straggler and Midnight Special at one of my LBS. My thoughts are as follows:
  • Surly Straggler: Extremely responsive, agile, squirrely (IDK if this is a plus or minus tbh) ride quality with potential for a lot of versatility
  • Surly Midnight Special: Smooth ride, zippy, stable handling, would have to get in gloss black (lilac is basically sold out in my size everywhere ), don’t know how I feel about the road geometry in the long run, really wish there was a size between 50 cm and 54cm
My LBS also has the All-City Space Horse (GRX) in stock in my size and I suspect it may strike a balance between agile and stable handling, the paint job is gorgeous, but it seems to be less hardy than the Midnight Special.

I’m seeking additional opinions, thoughts, or recommendations.
Old 05-08-24, 09:19 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4867 Post(s)
Liked 4,024 Times in 2,614 Posts
A thought. If a longer stem could work for you fit-wise, it would slow the steering of the Surely Straggler, possibly to a level you consider "sweet". (I ride very long stems for good fit with arms that go forever. I choose quick steering bikes so they don't feel like slugs.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-08-24, 09:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18557 Post(s)
Liked 15,965 Times in 7,502 Posts
Someone rode by my house today on a Straggler. Does Surly still make them?
Old 05-09-24, 07:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 5,770 Times in 2,910 Posts
The Straggler, like the Bridge Club mentioned in your Clydes thread, has the obsolete disc/QR frame. The Space Horse is the best of what you are looking at. With All City shutting down you should be able to get a deal.. Check the weight limit for whatever you pick.
Old 05-09-24, 08:13 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
LOL. Get any bike that won't collapse under your weight.
Probably with an IGH. Like the Brooklyn Driggs with the double top tube.
Old 05-09-24, 08:50 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4488 Post(s)
Liked 4,161 Times in 2,784 Posts
I might look more to say Zinn Cycles like the Clydesdale brand he makes (or someone makes for him that he designs). Being 380+ requires a lot more out of a frame and components and Zinn understands that. Surly makes fine bikes as did All-City but I think QBP would likely say they are unsuitable at that weight. Obviously it will go down but at this point I would make sure it can handle the weight easily and make sure you have very well built wheels from someone who knows how to do it and you have a frank conversation with them so they know what is needed.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 05-09-24, 09:18 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by jk95
I’m a 380+ lb rider who is looking to replace my slightly too big pandemic era commuter bike (Jamis Coda S2). I’m truly looking for a steel commuter/gravel all-rounder bike to ride throughout Seattle. Initially, I thought I would love the Surly Bridge Club or Jamis Renegade S4. However, after doing test rides I came to the following conclusion:
  • Surly Bridge Club: Plush, nostalgic ride, but too sluggish
  • Jamis Renegade S4: Very OK
After increasing my budget, I am now looking at the Surly Midnight Special, Surly Straggler, and All-City Space Horse (GRX) as options. I’ve had the opportunity to test ride both the Straggler and Midnight Special at one of my LBS. My thoughts are as follows:
  • Surly Straggler: Extremely responsive, agile, squirrely (IDK if this is a plus or minus tbh) ride quality with potential for a lot of versatility
  • Surly Midnight Special: Smooth ride, zippy, stable handling, would have to get in gloss black (lilac is basically sold out in my size everywhere ), don’t know how I feel about the road geometry in the long run, really wish there was a size between 50 cm and 54cm
My LBS also has the All-City Space Horse (GRX) in stock in my size and I suspect it may strike a balance between agile and stable handling, the paint job is gorgeous, but it seems to be less hardy than the Midnight Special.

I’m seeking additional opinions, thoughts, or recommendations.
Please understand that any comments I make about your weight are not condescending, but just being practical. (how tall are you, by the way?)

I'm going to suggest something totally different.

For your bike, stick with the Jamis and get a stem to adjust it a bit to your fit. The seat can be adjusted fore and aft a bit too. It is a good bike for Seattle; with its triple chainring, you have a nice low gear for climbing those nasty hills you have out there. None of the bikes you're looking at here have a low enough low gear for hill-climbing unless you're really fit. Plus, the drop bars and frame geometry are going to be sub-optimal, with knees probably hitting the belly. (I run into that on the drops, and at 5'8, 181# I'm just moderately overweight. My drop bar bikes are not even particularly racy) Reward yourself with a drop bar bike when you've dropped enough weight to comfortably ride one. If you get a drop bar bike like those and adjust the bar high enough and far back enough, it's going to make the steering sketchy, because it will bias the weight rearward and unload the steering.

For the NEXT bike, how about something that COMPLIMENTS the Jamis, instead of trying to replace it?

...like a Lectric Xpedition cargo eBike? It's rated for your weight, which not a lot of bikes are. It has a torquey enough motor to help you enough that you'll want to take it EVERYWHERE, and not just "cycling". You'll be getting exercise as a part of your daily life. Of all my bikes (including 5 eBikes) my commuter eBike is my favorite. It would be the one I would keep if I could only have one bike. I can get as much or little exercise as I want. I can commute in the summer and not arrive sweaty, yet I can hit it hard on the commute home. I can carry 50 lbs. of groceries no problem. I can go run an errand at lunchtime and again, not return to work sweaty. With the panniers and basket, you can carry about 6 bags of groceries.

Aside from the drop bar issues I mentioned above, the Space Horse would give me pause in Seattle because its bail-out gear is higher than 1:1. (46/34 front, 11/32 rear. Climbing gear would be 34/32 = 1.06:1) Ideally for those steep hills in Seattle, I'd want something more like 0.85:1, and I'm not 380 lbs. either, just moderately overweight. Surlys are the same, 1:1, I think. Either way, you should plan on gearing down if you don't want to blow out your knees.

I looked at the Straggler vs. Midnight Special before I bought my Priority Apollo 11. I don't mind the "obsolete" QR axles, except that then alignment with brake discs is a PITA. With through axles (like on the Midnight Special) it would not be an issue. I don't like the slick tires that come on the Midnight Special, nor the 650b size. Too bad, because I LOVE the Surly frame style, with that lugged fork...
Old 05-09-24, 09:24 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 252 Posts
Another option, if you're not open to eBikes: Surly Disc Trucker. It is more upright and has a beefy frame to handle a heavier rider or additional loads in the form of fully-loaded front/rear panniers, plus it has all those braze-on mounting points for racks and such. Plus, it has the drop bars you have your eye on, but the frame geometry is designed for the bar to be higher and further back.

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker

Surly has been making the Long Haul Trucker forever; this is just an update with disc brakes instead of rim and slightly shorter chain stays. The disc brakes are preferred over rim brakes for wet weather and downhill braking. (both of which will be a big benefit to you in Seattle) Looks like it has through axles now too; great! Triple chainring as well. This bike is a slam dunk for you.

Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-09-24, 12:00 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 287 Posts
I was 360 lbs. my first ride on a 90's steel frame Giant Rincon, rigid fork. It had 26" wheels and was a way too small for me. I paid like $60 for it at a pawn shop and rode that thing hundreds of miles on dirt roads. Right now, don't stress over bike choice so much. I would buy something rideable as cheap as possible for now. Get your diet right. I quit all sugar, rice, pasta, bread, and potatoes for 2 years. Not one taste. That's all I did to lose 180 lbs. over the next two years just by eating low carb and cycling as much as humanly possible.

I bought several used bikes over that time and a lot changed as my body changed. I would have never been able to ride a drop bar race bike when I started. I have a few now. How the bike feels and what you need out of a bike will change drastically as you lose weight. I suggest you start low budget as possible and save money for a very nice bike later when you know a lot more about what exactly you need for your style riding. You may find different styles of riding more enjoyable as you drop weight and get more fit. Good luck.
Likes For RH Clark: