Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying this bike. 70s.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help identifying this bike. 70s.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 07:31 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked 2,535 Times in 1,062 Posts
The "Schwinn Approved" rear derailleur is a rebadged Shimano Crane GS, a very good RD for its day (although Suntours were a bit better) and still more than adequate today. The "Schwinn Approved" bar-end shifters are rebadged Suntours (and the pods have left-handed threading - turn the allen nut buried in the pod counter-clockwise to loosen the expander so you can remove it). Plenty of folks (me among them) think they are the best purely friction barcons ever made. I am running sets on two bikes and think they are still great. The "Schwinn Approved" brakes are rebadged Weinmanns or Dia-Compes, most likely Weinmanns.

I'm late to this party and only just saw this thread. When I looked at the seat stay cap treatment and saw the serial number, I was 110% certain it was a 1970-something Paramount (the second 7 was not clear on my monitor), even before I read any of the other posts. I'm glad others have confirmed my thoughts (and confirmed the 1977 serial number) so I don't have to question my sanity any more than I already do.
Old 09-13-23, 08:03 PM
ryanl092

Bikes: 87 Centurion IronMan, 89 Pinarello Treviso, 77 Schwinn Paramount, 85 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
This is the screenshot that I saw from the post

I was surprised.
Likes For ryanl092:
Old 09-13-23, 08:09 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
To note the Schwinn branded type 2 Suntour barcon's were only offered on Paramounts or limited edition Superiors when this bike was sold so another yes it is vintage Parmount frame.

Last edited by zukahn1; 09-13-23 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-13-23, 09:49 PM
ryanl092

Bikes: 87 Centurion IronMan, 89 Pinarello Treviso, 77 Schwinn Paramount, 85 Miyata 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts
I found this youtube video after knowing it's a suntour barcon.
at 2:49 to 3:09

and then 18:44 to 18:56. It's CW to loose it and CCW to tight it ! Why they don't print it on the shifter itself.

Thanks!

Likes For ryanl092:
Old 09-14-23, 05:55 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Somehow, we are all supposed to magically know when a component is reversed threaded.

You are not alone in running into such challenges and becoming frustrated. Also, don't forget that pedals thread off when moving the wrench towards the rear of the bike. And the freewheel retaining ring/outer bearing race is also reversed threaded.

For the crank bolt cover, as SwimmerMike mentions, soak the threads liberally with penetrating oil before attempting to remove. Wait several days. Applying heat to the cover with a propane torch after soaking the threads might help as well.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 09-17-23, 05:46 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Somehow, we are all supposed to magically know when a component is reversed threaded.
It isn't.

When you turn it CW, it goes IN to the bar, loosening the wedges.

(I'll not bother to explain what happens when you turn it the other way.)
Old 09-17-23, 05:49 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
The "Schwinn Approved" bar-end shifters are rebadged Suntours (and the pods have left-handed threading
No they don't.
You need to think about which way a screw goes through a nut (the nut being the bit that holds the shifter).

I just cut some extra threads on both the shifter-holding-bit and the screws as I had to cut the mounting wedges in half and turn new coned surfaces and spring-clip grooves on a set, so they'd fit in the curved ends of some cutoff drop-bars - and I *KNOW* I don't have a lefthanded 10x1 tap - or die.

Last edited by oneclick; 09-17-23 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-17-23, 07:08 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
It isn't.

When you turn it CW, it goes IN to the bar, loosening the wedges.

(I'll not bother to explain what happens when you turn it the other way.)
Originally Posted by oneclick
No they don't.
You need to think about which way a screw goes through a nut (the nut being the bit that holds the shifter).

I just cut some extra threads on both the shifter-holding-bit and the screws as I had to cut the mounting wedges in half and turn new coned surfaces and spring-clip grooves on a set, so they'd fit in the curved ends of some cutoff drop-bars - and I *KNOW* I don't have a lefthanded 10x1 tap - or die.
Thank you for correcting us and this common misperception, based on how we look at the hex wrench as we attempt to remove these barend pods.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com