Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why all the internal cable routing hate?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Why all the internal cable routing hate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 08:45 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Man, what a blast from the past. I really talk too much.

But another thought: How often are you changing cables? If once or even twice a year on the extreme end, is the extra hassle really reducing your quality of life that much? If you know what you're doing on an already cabled bike and have the cable sheath stuff to run through the frame, you're only adding like a couple of minutes to the job.
If, on the other hand, a cable ever snaps.... Dun-de-DUN-dun..... Have fun with THAT!
Old 05-31-18, 09:16 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
If, on the other hand, a cable ever snaps.... Dun-de-DUN-dun..... Have fun with THAT!
I'm fairly confident the world would not end in such a scenario.
Old 05-31-18, 09:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

There is a chart for what cable length to run based on how many spacers you are running, because there is zero room for excess slack like you would have on any other frame, because it's FULLY internal. I mean, they give you the length down to the mm. Too long and you're going to have a hard time clamping everything down. Too short and you're not going to meet the stops and shifting and/or braking just won't work. You might be able to get away with removing maybe one spacer without having to recable it, but I haven't worked on one of those, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Woe be to the shop that has a customer who insists on reducing his stem height one spacer at a time on his Madone.

Wow! To adjust stem height, you may have to swap cables! I change stem heights as my conditioning changes and sometimes for specific rides. I've been doing this for 40 years. I even sometimes do it mid-ride. (And yes, I am archaic. I find 1" threaded steerers very practical because doing what I just described is so easy.)

To my simple mind, ergonomics should improve as bikes evolve, not get worse. Bar height is the single easiest way to adjust for conditioning, different rides, etc. As an engineer, I learned that good design started with establishing the priorities, then designing to achieve those priorities. Ease of adjust of bar height should be labeled as pretty high on that list.

Ben
Old 05-31-18, 09:59 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Wow! To adjust stem height, you may have to swap cables! I change stem heights as my conditioning changes and sometimes for specific rides. I've been doing this for 40 years. I even sometimes do it mid-ride. (And yes, I am archaic. I find 1" threaded steerers very practical because doing what I just described is so easy.)

To my simple mind, ergonomics should improve as bikes evolve, not get worse. Bar height is the single easiest way to adjust for conditioning, different rides, etc. As an engineer, I learned that good design started with establishing the priorities, then designing to achieve those priorities. Ease of adjust of bar height should be labeled as pretty high on that list.

Ben
Wow, way to quote my three year old post out of context. I was referring to a very specific model of bike, the then new Madone (Edit: ok, it did say madone later in the quote...). And we're all very excited that you're an engineer. Turns out Trek also has engineers. Their design started with aero as a priority and that's where they ended up.
Old 05-31-18, 10:08 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Wow, way to quote my three year old post out of context. I was referring to a very specific model of bike, the then new Madone (Edit: ok, it did say madone later in the quote...). And we're all very excited that you're an engineer. Turns out Trek also has engineers. Their design started with aero as a priority and that's where they ended up.
I do confess I often forget to check the dates when I open posts. I have long had issues with many of the new aero bikes in that they make adjusting the second most critical fit item so difficult. (Actually I don't have that issue. I will never buy one. But that limitation completely seals the deal.)

Ben
Old 05-31-18, 10:11 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I do confess I often forget to check the dates when I open posts. I have long had issues with many of the new aero bikes in that they make adjusting the second most critical fit item so difficult. (Actually I don't have that issue. I will never buy one. But that limitation completely seals the deal.)

Ben
100% agreed. I don't mind internal routing, but buying the Madone with that setup is basically like buying a Tri-bike in terms of cable maintenance. Just not super fun and not worth the hassle if you aren't riding competitively, in which case, you're probably not the one changing cables anyway.

But for my two current bikes, you can leave some slack and still adjust fit. Both internal, and both not that much extra hassle for basic cable changes.
Old 05-31-18, 10:32 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I don’t trust unsupervised cables. I want to see what they are doing. I remember when I was their age.
Old 05-31-18, 07:41 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put internal cabling right up there with press fit bottom brackets, although press fit BB's give frame designers interesting options - still trying to understand what practical advantages come with internal cable routing.
Old 05-31-18, 10:24 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Bicycles are simple machines. They were perfected decades ago
The basic design of the bicycle was finally completed in the early 90s with the advent of dual control. But perfection? Come on. Perfection is engineered to the atom, with a continuously variable lossless (as physically possible) transmission that is controlled by thought.

A low-end bike is a simple machine. But the amount of design and detail in a modern high-end bike is staggering, with the zillion bits of carefully-placed carbon in the frame, the highly-engineered hydraulic brake system, the constantly-updated firmware in the transmission, and so on. Sure, a lot of developments are bogus, but progress eventually sets things right. Just look at the T47 BB standard for example. Threads are back.
Old 04-21-22, 01:00 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
what's so wrong about it? So many folks are bashing it
Because it sucks.
Old 04-21-22, 01:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22606 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Zombie thread alert!

P.S. I am also not a big fan of internal cables.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-21-22, 02:59 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Originally Posted by datlas
Zombie thread alert!

It quenches my rage somewhat to see that the hate is alive and well.
Old 04-21-22, 03:07 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Well this topic has not aged.

I have internal cables and I like them, looks clean. I wish the Aethos had them.

I perform day to day maintenance and most component swaps on my bike, however, when it comes to full disassembly and changing over cables, I pay someone to do it, and happily extra for the internal routing.
Old 04-21-22, 03:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Old 04-21-22, 03:52 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw

I have internal cables and I like them, looks clean. I wish the Aethos had them.

I perform day to day maintenance and most component swaps on my bike, however, when it comes to full disassembly and changing over cables, I pay someone to do it, and happily extra for the internal routing.
Not sure what you're seeing, but the Aethos has internal routing.
Old 04-21-22, 05:48 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Not sure what you're seeing, but the Aethos has internal routing.
Right, I think I confused 'internal' with 'integrated' - the latter is what I am after.
Old 04-22-22, 06:36 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked 1,847 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Zombie thread alert!

We were just discussing the whereabouts of the Penman and he turns up here.
Kismet!
I have one bike with one internal cable. Top tube brake cable. I like it.
Old 04-23-22, 01:38 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Ive got internal routing on my BmC for both my shifters and brakes. Never really been an issue for me, for the once a year I replace the cables. I just slide a liner over the old cable, then slide the new cable through said liner. Very easy. Not sure how you would do it otherwise, with magnets and stuff?

I have noticed the cables inside the frame are susceptible to corrosion. So the argument that internal cables last longer because they arent exposed is not true.
Old 04-23-22, 06:41 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13718 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Why have cables at all?

eTap AXS | SRAM
Old 04-23-22, 06:47 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Originally Posted by rjones28
Why have cables at all?

eTap AXS | SRAM
Because a few of us aren't dentists and lawyers and brokers, you know..
Old 04-25-22, 01:28 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Why have cables at all?

eTap AXS | SRAM
For your rear brake.
Old 04-25-22, 07:45 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Let's face it, most bikes these days have internal routing - just maybe not at the handlebar. So the question is, is internal at the handlebar a bad idea, and well as far as I can tell, only for mechanics. But how often does one need to touch these? In my first season with fully integrated cabling, not once. I guess the more you race, the more this is needed.
Old 04-25-22, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Its aged just fine. Internal cables are still largely a total waste on 95% of consumer bikes that have them as the stated performance reason, aero, is total BS. Hey the cables need to be internal because its aero, but that trendy handlebar bag that catches wind can stay? Internal cable routing is much better now than it was a handful of years ago because brands have improve design to make the routing not nearly as clusterF'd. If you read threads, some of the internal routing has been a nightmare with crazy bends and poor design.

As for integrated cables, they look neat and as a nightmare to set up compared to external. They just are. Headsets needed to be redesigned. If you want to change the stem length, stem height, or stem angle you either cant or you need all new cables, housing, and hoses. It is time consuming and costly. But it looks slick and can save 3 watts over 60min at 45kmph so its obviously needed.***

A design that was simple to set up, adjust, and service is now complicated, time consuming, and more expensive. Progress!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-25-22, 11:29 AM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its aged just fine. Internal cables are still largely a total waste on 95% of consumer bikes that have them as the stated performance reason, aero, is total BS. Hey the cables need to be internal because its aero, but that trendy handlebar bag that catches wind can stay? Internal cable routing is much better now than it was a handful of years ago because brands have improve design to make the routing not nearly as clusterF'd. If you read threads, some of the internal routing has been a nightmare with crazy bends and poor design.

As for integrated cables, they look neat and as a nightmare to set up compared to external. They just are. Headsets needed to be redesigned. If you want to change the stem length, stem height, or stem angle you either cant or you need all new cables, housing, and hoses. It is time consuming and costly. But it looks slick and can save 3 watts over 60min at 45kmph so its obviously needed.***

A design that was simple to set up, adjust, and service is now complicated, time consuming, and more expensive. Progress!
I got mine for the looks. And for convenience, cables can get caught in things. Aero is just a nice benefit.

Also, who rides with a handlebar bag that has an aero bike? Lol, never seen that.

The last part you can say about many innovations. E.g. smartphone versus good old Nokias. My dad surely could use the latter much more easily.
Old 04-25-22, 11:41 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I got mine for the looks. And for convenience, cables can get caught in things. Aero is just a nice benefit.

Also, who rides with a handlebar bag that has an aero bike? Lol, never seen that.

The last part you can say about many innovations. E.g. smartphone versus good old Nokias. My dad surely could use the latter much more easily.
I have yet to catch a cable on something, but sure I could see that being a concern.
My comment about bar bags was moreso directed at gravel where aero design elements are all the rage. I just find it funny that something is advertised as aero and then a bag is hung from the front or a race number is hung from the front and all claimed benefits are totally gone. With that said, I have seen bar bags on aero road bikes too...I am guessing they are used when someone is riding with friends on a weekend bar ride or something like that?

Smartphones are more complex than an old Nokia, but they also provide significant measurable benefits that have shown to be wanted by almost all users. Integrated cables just look neat. Thats it. If that is whats most important, then cool get the bike with integrated cables, but as of now there are not significant measurable benefits to having integrated cables.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.