Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cross threaded bottom bracket

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 12:03 AM
gululok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I swapped out my old cup/cone bottom bracket to a sealed cartridge bottom bracket, and may have cross threaded the drive side. The top edge is bottomed out, but the bottom edge has a gap. Can I live with this, or do I need to get a new cartridge? The spindle just barely turns without the crank, but seems to turn well enough with the crank's leverage.

The thread on the cartridge is aluminum, whereas the thread on the frame is steel, so the steel thread should be undamaged, and able to accept a new cartridge, right?
Old 04-20-22, 12:43 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I might pull it out and confirm you actually cross-threaded it. Could it be the case the face isn't so flat, and it just looks wonky but really isn't? I'd have thought you'd have known you were cross-threading it well before you bottomed it out against the frame.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-20-22, 07:16 AM
gululok

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I might pull it out and confirm you actually cross-threaded it. Could it be the case the face isn't so flat, and it just looks wonky but really isn't? I'd have thought you'd have known you were cross-threading it well before you bottomed it out against the frame.
I started threading it a few turns, felt resistance, backed it out, saw that it's crossthreaded. I then futzed around for an hour cleaning off metal filings, scraping the threads with a screwdriver hoping I can straighten the threads (I don't have an appropriate tap), couldn't get it in straight, and thought, "Maybe I imagined it. Bottom bracket is supposed to be tight, right? If it's crossthreaded I'd need a new cartridge anyway. Just crank it in and see how it looks.". Which got me here.

In comparison the other side threaded in smooth and without issue.
Likes For gululok:
Old 04-20-22, 07:38 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Hopefully you'll be able to unthread the drive side. Sometimes when you force in a piece cross-threaded, it has a tendency to not want to come out.
If you do remove it, use a stiff bristled wire brush and some spray cleaner to thoroughly clean the threads of your BB. Inspect the threads, just in case. I suspect they'll be okay, as the aluminum will strip out before the steel will. Use a little grease when you install the new cartridge, and don't force it!
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-20-22, 09:41 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I would take it to a shop and have the shell chased. This will realign the threads.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-20-22, 10:17 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Are you sure that the sealed cartridge unit is the proper size and thread pitch? If you were able to “back it out” you can check to verify proper thread pitch with the old drive side cup. See if the threads of the old cup seat perfectly in the threads of the cartridge bearing unit. As mentioned, the aluminum threads on the cartridge unit are the ones most likely damaged although there may be bits of aluminum left in the steel bottom bracket shell threading and definitely need to be cleaned out. IF the cartridge unit is, in fact, the right size, and the threads have been cross-threaded, it’s possible that your LBS may be able to “chase” the threads and save the day.
Likes For sovende:
Old 04-20-22, 11:31 AM
gululok

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I would take it to a shop and have the shell chased. This will realign the threads.
Can I do that with the end cap of the cup/cone BB I took out?
Old 04-20-22, 11:38 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Probably, but I think you said it's steel, so I doubt the threads were affected. Possibly just clean the aluminum from them.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-20-22, 12:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I guess the first question is if your original DS cup had a gap?

The next is whether you can thread the new NDS support cap in or is the cartridge off-center so it won’t fit over the cartridge?

John
Old 04-20-22, 01:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Originally Posted by gululok
Can I do that with the end cap of the cup/cone BB I took out?
...with the proper set of piloted taps, it's a simple job, and takes about ten minutes. So most places, it doesn't cost much to have it done. The piloted taps are very handy in a case like you describe, because unless you get the threads, on whatever you're using to chase it clean, going in there straight, you can actually make the problem worse.

AS has already been noted, the cup inserts for sealed units are either plastic or aluminum alloy. So it's pretty difficult to damage the BB threads, if your BB shell is steel. If your BB shell is aluminum, that's all the more reason to use a piloted tap to clean this up. Which is what I would do.
Old 04-21-22, 08:01 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
You might consider installing the NDS (non drive side) cup first, just temporarily. This helps "pilot" the cartridge body as you thread it in from the DS (drive side). As you thread the cartridge in, go over to the NDS and look through the hole in the center of the cup and check your work to make sure that spindle is coming through dead center. This is a method I use pretty often, even as a preventative measure. Once that NDS end of the spindle enters the NDS cup, you usually have enough DS threads solidly engaged...and you can then remove the NDS cup and continue threading the cartridge body in from the DS.

I have "lightly" cross threaded BB catridges in the past (before using this method) and was able to rectify by using this "piloting" method.

Chasing the threads with the proper tools is ideal. But you may be able to save it at home on your own as well.
Likes For hokiefyd: