Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

MOndia Special

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

MOndia Special

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 11:42 AM
1goodeye

Bikes: mondia special, english robinhood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOndia Special

My eyesight is fine but they tend to find bikes that folks say need more work than what they are worth to ride. These bikes are classics for sure but they could be right because I don't know how to replace parts myself.

Yesterday I took my Mondia Special into the shop and they suggested, once again, that I replace the crank set and chainings. I LOVE MY Chainings. They are so cool compared to the new stuff out there. The big problem is that I live in Seattle and need more climbing power.

Would replacing vintage parts with more vintage parts be an act in futility?
Old 06-04-06, 12:49 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 793 Posts
You should still be able to find TA rings for the TA Cyclo Touriste crank (try Harris cyclery) and those are a good match on a classic Swiss bike, I reckon. Big range of sizes for that crank, you should be able to get the gear you need for Seattle...if the shop can't work on old bikes and parts, find another shop that can. Or (better yet) learn to do it yourself...it's one of the beauties of owning a classic, and not that difficult.
Old 06-04-06, 01:22 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
My Mondia Super came with a Suntour Superbe 52/42 front. Because the BCD was 144, the smallest ring I could buy was a 41 - hardly worth the expense.

I lurked on eBay for a while, and came up with a newer but still vintage Suntour Superbe crank set in 53/39 - mo' betta....

Plus, the BCD is smaller so I can futz with the ring combos if I want. I've got hills all around, and so far, so good. Not as good as a triple, but good enough.........

S. J. Perelman
Old 06-04-06, 05:35 PM
number6

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am not in Seattle, but I would try Elliot Bay Cycles, I am pretty sure they speak vintage.
Old 06-04-06, 07:03 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 267 Posts
If not, take a drive down to Olympia & talk to Bill Stevenson or Cory Thompson at The Bike Stand (downtown, 4th & Adams). Suggest a call first so you can do it on a day when Bill or Cory is in. Well worth the trip. Another alternative would be a short ferry ride accross to Kingston & check out Kingston Classic Cycles. Don
Old 06-09-06, 06:51 AM
Mercurys37

Bikes: A Bunch - see Signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 1975 Mondia Special is equipped with a Campagnolo Nuovo Record Crank and Chain Rings although I don't know the threading of the bottom braket. Could be French or could be Swiss. Regardless, please consider a switch to Campagnolo NR. Pricey but available.
Mercurys37
Marietta, GA