Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Nashbar out of my size bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 12:05 AM
saint mucus

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Nothing I can do but cry about it, been waiting for about a month to get enough money put aside for it now they're out of my size Was fixing to buy the Nashbar carbon 105 road bike for $879 with 25% off. I'm going to hold out for as long as I can, really had my hart set on this bike. If my patience runs out anyone have a good alternative I should check out? Not sure how often they restock, hope it's not months, I may be able to make it a week or two before settling for something else.
Old 04-29-17, 01:16 AM
saint mucus

Bikes: Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike, Diamondback Insight 1, Nashbar Flat bar road bike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Still have the aluminum 105 road bike in my size so if it's going to be weeks I may go with it, I think it's only a couple pounds heavier.
Old 04-29-17, 06:22 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Have you called Nashbar to see when they are going to re-stock? If you had your heart set on the Carbon bike, wait it out. That's a very good bike for the money, especially when they run the 25% off sale. You may also want to see if Bikes Direct has one in your price range.
Old 04-29-17, 06:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,850 Posts
Call Nashbar, demand a rain-check on the low-price offer, ask about re-stock.

There are plenty of similar bikes ... performance, Ribble ... a Lot of generic Taiwanese CF frames with 105 components (mostly) for about the same price. Even Nashbar offers a couple brands. if you just can't wait and are willing to pay a little more or get a little less ... the option is there.

But maybe they can help if you call them.

Did you know that at one time all commerce was done face-to-face, with people actually travelling to retain locations and personally interacting with staff? Hard to see how we survived as a species.
Old 04-29-17, 07:08 AM
saint mucus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah I'll definitely call and talk to them, just found out they were out of my size last night at work. Looking real hard at that Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike if it's going to be months waiting. Really the color scheme or lack there of, of the carbon 105 is what puts it over the top for me, that Cavalo is the same price. It's aluminum but I think the weight is pretty close.
Old 04-29-17, 03:06 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nashbar rarely re-stocks. You snooze, you lose. Sorry.
Old 04-29-17, 04:28 PM
saint mucus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
If that's the case I'll just have to fall in love with another, no matter what I end up with it's going to be an upgrade from my bike. Nashbar told me they'd check with their team after the weekend and get back to me, I can probably hold out for about two week but that's severely stretching my patience. When I 1st began looking for a road bike I originally fell in love with the satin black Specialized Allez, still think it's the best looking bike. Someone on here suggested the Nashbar carbon 105 and it looked like more bang for the buck to me, so now if it's going to be out of stock for several weeks these two bike are on the short list until someone points out another bike I can't live without. I'll be waiting for the 25% off deal too so for the Nashbar carbon or the Cavalo price will be $880 and the Nashbar 105 road price will be $719. I think any of these bikes will serve me well for what I'm going to use it for, 20 to 50 mile rides 3 to 4 days a week.

Nashbar 105 Road Bike https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...75_-1___204687

Cavalo Corsa Ultegra Road Bike https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...78_-1___204687

Last edited by saint mucus; 04-29-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-29-17, 05:37 PM
NormanF

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Moral of the tale: If you have the cash and you see something you like, buy it right away!

Once its gone, its gone.
Old 04-29-17, 05:48 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Maybe you'll be rewarded with a 30% sale the day your size comes back in stock.

Have you checked out the Ribble house bikes? I don't know their prices but the bikes will be flashing on the front page of Ribble's site and they are good looking bikes.

Buy Road Bikes & Parts at Ribble Cycles | Online Bike Shop
Old 04-30-17, 07:18 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Maybe you'll be rewarded with a 30% sale the day your size comes back in stock.

Have you checked out the Ribble house bikes? I don't know their prices but the bikes will be flashing on the front page of Ribble's site and they are good looking bikes.

Buy Road Bikes & Parts at Ribble Cycles | Online Bike Shop
Ribble is a British company. Any full bike shipped from the UK will cost an alarming amount for shipping, plus UK VAT, AND customs duty for importation to the US.
Old 04-30-17, 10:28 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7662 Post(s)
Liked 3,509 Times in 1,850 Posts
Considering that you might have the bike for several years a couple weeks' wait is just a passing irritation. If you have a bike for several years and are constantly wishing yo had gotten a different bike .... sad for you, funny for the rest of us

There are a lot of almost identical Taiwanese CF frames sold as house brands by Nashbar, Performance Bikes, Ribble, some place in Texas I forget, and I am sure a lot of other companies.

Pick the bike you won't mind riding for the next few years. Don't only weigh rational things like weight---make sure you don't end up thinking "This is a decent bike but I wish I had bought .... "
Old 04-30-17, 11:04 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Ribble is a British company. Any full bike shipped from the UK will cost an alarming amount for shipping, plus UK VAT, AND customs duty for importation to the US.
No UK VAT since, well, not in the UK. Customs would depend on the price, no customs for something cheap enough.
Old 04-30-17, 11:06 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't know about fees and duties on a bike, I've only ordered lower priced and smaller sized items from them. Though I've never had to pay any additional duties or fees on the smaller items, that may be different once you get into full bikes. I've found shipping from the UK to be very reasonable when compared to shipping across the US. I think Ribble has changed this now but when I last ordered from them they offered free shipping on order over 50 GBP. At the current exchange rate full bike shipping to the US from Ribble comes in at just under $140. I paid either $100 or $150 to have one road bike shipped to me from California and $70 for just a frameset from New York. In comparison I think $140 from the UK is very fair but at you targeted price point that would be too much to apply to just shipping fees.
Old 04-30-17, 06:13 PM
saint mucus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Considering that you might have the bike for several years a couple weeks' wait is just a passing irritation. If you have a bike for several years and are constantly wishing yo had gotten a different bike .... sad for you, funny for the rest of us
Agreed but in my case I'm positive if I get a quality $1000 or less road bike I'm going to be ecstatic, lucky for me I'm not hung up on brand name just want a good bike. In fact one of the things I like about that 105 carbon is that it doesn't have a name blasted across the frame. Been riding for 8 months now, bought a sub $400 hybrid because I didn't know if was going to like riding or which type of riding I'd like the most. Now I know I like riding and I like riding on the road so I'm ready for a good road bike. Not looking to join a club or try to keep up with a group, would like to beat all my times but I'm not competing with anyone but myself. Riding has become my drugs and alcohol, after tonight I'm off for two days, I'll work from 6:00 PM to 7:30 AM and all I'm thinking about is getting this over with, coming home, shower and then drop about 30 miles on my Diamondback Insight 1

This could change by tomorrow but as of right now, if I was about to press checkout it would be the Nashbar 105 Road Bike https://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/s...75_-1___204687 with the 25% off it's $719 I can afford a little more than that but I don't know that I need "more" bike than that. I'll be going from Shimano Tourney front derailleur, Shimano Altus rear to 105's and I know this isn't the way to weigh a bike but standing on a scale with it, it weighs 29 lbs so I'm thinking if I get down to around 20 lbs I'm going to feel a pretty big difference. I think I can hold out for about 3 weeks so I'll probably go back and forth between bikes daily until then Thanks to everyone for all the advice and by all means keep the suggestions coming, I've got a $1000 max budget and that's going to take some sweet talk to the misses.
Old 04-30-17, 07:48 PM
a1penguin

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
No UK VAT since, well, not in the UK. Customs would depend on the price, no customs for something cheap enough.
I think you pay duty on a complete bike, but not on components. If there is a problem with the bike when it arrives, shipping it back is going to cost a lot. I've bought bits and pieces from UK without any issues. I'm not sure I would take the risk with a complete bike. YMMV.
Old 05-01-17, 09:54 AM
saint mucus

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well in case anyone else has been thinking about that Carbon 105 the remaining sizes are all that's left and it wont be restocked. The new version of that bike should be in stock by the end of the month, it's getting a new frame but will be comparable.
Old 05-01-17, 10:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11009 Post(s)
Liked 7,537 Times in 4,214 Posts
Originally Posted by saint mucus
If that's the case I'll just have to fall in love with another, no matter what I end up with it's going to be an upgrade from my bike.
Just to toss out a couple options since your dream bike isnt available, these are thru Raleigh's free corporate discount site.

https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-159 aluminum frame, carbon fork, 105 drivetrain.
There is this for $750 which would be a comparable for the Nashbar 105 Aluminum bike.
Except this has a thru axle fork and spyre disc brakes instead of rim brakes. It ships free and if there is a Raleigh dealer near you, will be assembled there for free too.

https://www.raleighusa.com/merit-sport-1963 full carbon frame and fork, tiagra drivetrain.
This is $1100. Same deal- ships free and can be assembled free if a dealer is near you.
Old 05-01-17, 11:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Yes. I thought they specialized in special orders and close-outs. There's no re-ordering, when they're out they're out.

If you wait, there will probably be another carbon bike for sale, it's just unlikely to be the same one you just missed.
Old 05-01-17, 11:25 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Get this one:

https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...5-11s-disc-new

$696 at checkout after 10% coupon 'offline' or 'save10'
Old 05-01-17, 04:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3260 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,190 Posts
I'm not sure if you pay a US Customs fee for a bike from Ribble (or any U.K.).

I think if it's valued over $800, you pay duty/whatever for the amount over $800.

That said, it wasn't the import fee that kept me from buying from Ribble, it was the cost of a return for warranty, initial purchase problem, etc... THAT can be expensive and time consuming, sending back to the U.K.

As opposed to Ohio.