Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reusing cut seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reusing cut seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 07:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2730 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 353 Posts
Reusing cut seatpost

Hey guys, I’m doing some work on a bike that I’m going to give to my friend, she’s 5’5. The bike is a 47 and I’m wondering what seat/seatpost combo to go with. I broke the one it came with in another bike, and was going to cut the nasty part off and mark another indicator line. Is this a wild idea?

Old 06-06-23, 08:28 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 242 Posts
It may be possible to cut and re-use. See if extends far enough to be below the junction of the seatstay and the seattube when properly fit for rider height

If the seattube has an inner sleeve at the junction of the top tube and widens below the sleeve, then the seatpost should extend at least to the bottom of the sleeve or reasonably close. Any further than the sleeve does nothing.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 06-06-23, 08:50 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
"Minimum Insertion" marks on seatposts I've measured are 60 to 100mm above the bottom of the post. This allows enough to extend below the top tube/seat tube lower edges in most frames when the height is set for the rider. Long seatposts usually have higher MI marks due to their potential increased leverage
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-07-23, 06:00 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 342 Times in 252 Posts
If you use the same minimum insertion distance from where you cut off to your new "min insertion depth", and the rest of the post is ok, your modded post should be ok. I'm basing this on 1) The same insertion distance gives the same joint strength, 2) an assumption that your girlfriend is a) smaller (lighter) than you and rides less agressively (i.e. she doesn't break seatposts off routinely while riding, and 3) the shorter post with the same insertion means that the extension is less so you have a shorter moment arm.

Again, I'm assuming that all damage to the post was on the part that you are cutting off.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 06-07-23 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 06-07-23, 09:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 634 Posts
I purposely cut down a "too long" seatpost once and used the logic above. Many years later it's still functional.
Old 06-07-23, 09:08 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 1,773 Times in 973 Posts
I would trash it, I would not want to tell anyone 'hey it was broke but it will be ok for you'.

I would just find a post that you don't need to question.
Old 06-07-23, 11:43 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5874 Post(s)
Liked 2,724 Times in 1,520 Posts
There is never a problem using a shorter post as long as you have about 2.5" inserted into the frame.

This is based on a long standing guideline of 2 diameters minimum overlap in tube junctions.

The markings are the result of 50 year old CPSC rules intended to prevent consumers without engineering degrees from exceeding that guideline when raising the saddle. This was a serious issue causing injuries when parents tried to avoid buying new bikes for their growing children.

In your case, if all the damage is in the section you cut off, then it's perfectly OK to use the post. No need to mark it unless your friend is still growing.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-07-23 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 06-07-23, 02:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2355 Post(s)
Liked 2,870 Times in 1,563 Posts
question: after allowing for for a minimum insertion (and for that I would go to spec for the seatpost and use same is original plus a CM or so.) is there enough seat post left to position height correctly? Seems pretty short

Old 06-07-23, 04:40 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 698 Times in 470 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I would trash it, I would not want to tell anyone 'hey it was broke but it will be ok for you'.

I would just find a post that you don't need to question.
Same here, but for a different reason.

CF laminates can sometimes have internal damage that isn't obvious externally. This one has been stressed enough to break.

I'd worry about it having unseen (and possibly un-seeable without x-rays or similar remote sensing) internal cracks or de-lamination above where I'd assumed there was no further damage. For that reason I'd never trust it.

And I damn sure wouldn't provide it to a friend and assure them it was OK if I couldn't be positive it was.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-07-23, 04:55 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
CF laminates can sometimes have internal damage that isn't obvious externally. This one has been stressed enough to break.

I'd worry about it having unseen (and possibly un-seeable without x-rays or similar remote sensing) internal cracks or de-lamination above where I'd assumed there was no further damage. For that reason I'd never trust it.

And I damn sure wouldn't provide it to a friend and assure them it was OK if I couldn't be positive it was.
Exactly right, if it was an aluminum post, sure, but not a CF one.

also beware, there are counterfeit name brand seatposts and other components out there. I bought one that was badged "Ritchey" even the packaging, was cheap like 30 buck, not even good enough to be a cheap knockoff. Nt Wrth Sht as they say

I would not give that post to a friend, you would never forgive yourself if it failed.

/markp
Old 06-07-23, 04:58 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
Same here, but for a different reason.

+ 1 on this... and being who you are, you will not cut the Carbon Fiber correctly anyway, Larry.

PS.. a 47 frame is too small for your friend. Find a 50 or 52 for her, depending on her torso/leg ratio...
Old 06-08-23, 07:04 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3721 Post(s)
Liked 5,588 Times in 2,829 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
... and being who you are,
Yep. Best look for a way to gracefully extricate yourself from attempting to provide bike assistance. The seatpost would be just the tip of the iceberg and there is no outcome where you'll end up being seen in a positive light. Maybe there is some other way you can ease yourself into her life.
Old 06-08-23, 12:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,081 Times in 2,720 Posts
This is from an old thread where most people said DON'T USE THAT SEATPOST. Now he is claiming to want to hurt..errr ""help"" a friend.

If your seat post especially a carbon one is damaged don't ever give it to your friend and cut it yourself unless you know what you are doing but probably don't use it. In this case the seatpost was clearly damaged by the OP putting it way too high above the minimum insertion line and cracking it and they attempted to blame a bike shop for doing that. Really bad form.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-08-23, 01:33 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3568 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,806 Posts
Seat posts start at about $15 bucks. Pry open that wallet if you want to be her friend...
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-08-23, 02:47 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 194 Posts
Perfect example of when to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er