Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Charity Events
Reload this Page >

Tour de Cure - 2011

Search
Notices
Charity Events Whether you're looking for riders, sponsors, or volunteers, this is the place to tell the world that cyclists can make a difference.

Tour de Cure - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 07:09 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Need a pic of the rear of the bike......that is all anyone will see as you blow by.
I know you were only joking but.....
Old 06-04-11, 08:11 PM
hkboy313

Bikes: caad9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by X-LinkedRider
but theres still no butt?

i'll be doing it tomorrow morning! i've done centuries before but for some reason im real nervous about this one...maybe its cuz the chance of rain...or its cuz its my first time for this charity ride! anyhow i should get some sleep, going to spend some quality time in the saddle tomorrow i'll be in a mellow johnny's jersey
Old 06-05-11, 06:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
WOW, I lkie the Red on the brakes.

Old 06-05-11, 07:55 PM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My team had a great day out today! It was everyone's first charity ride (my wife's first ride over 25 miles) and everyone had a blast! I've gotten a whole new group into cycling including my wife. We are already making plans for a fall covered bridge ride....

X-linked, I may have seen a blur of you as you passed by my humble 74 International.... Hope you had a great ride!
Old 06-05-11, 10:18 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a great time doing the 65 mile ride today. My friend who was on a 73 Le Tour had to drop out after 35 miles due to his freewheel just falling apart. After that point, I did my best to make it to the front of the pack and passed quite a few people. Were you riding with the Central Bucks club? I might be doing the covered bridge ride of theirs in October or whenever it is.

@10Wheels, thanks they are the Tektro R741s. I get comments on them in both directions. Some people really like them and some people don't. I just like having something else to stare at while I am looking down over my front wheel.
Old 06-06-11, 07:28 AM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a great time doing the 65 mile ride today. My friend who was on a 73 Le Tour had to drop out after 35 miles due to his freewheel just falling apart. After that point, I did my best to make it to the front of the pack and passed quite a few people. Were you riding with the Central Bucks club? I might be doing the covered bridge ride of theirs in October or whenever it is.

@10Wheels, thanks they are the Tektro R741s. I get comments on them in both directions. Some people really like them and some people don't. I just like having something else to stare at while I am looking down over my front wheel.
Was your friends Le Tour light blue? I remember the combo of Carbon (your bike) and the blue Le Tour.... If it was you, we exchanged hello's while waiting at a red light waiting to go left. Bummer about his freewheel, I almost brought an extra one along in case mine grenaded but I didn't.
Old 06-06-11, 08:29 AM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobE30
Was your friends Le Tour light blue? I remember the combo of Carbon (your bike) and the blue Le Tour.... If it was you, we exchanged hello's while waiting at a red light waiting to go left. Bummer about his freewheel, I almost brought an extra one along in case mine grenaded but I didn't.
Yep you got it! His bike was the Light Blue 60cm Le Tour with (Used to be) white grip tape. Yeah, the guy running the Mike mechanic tent at the one rest stop thought he might have an extra freewheel but did not. Sorry, I seemed in such a rush. There was so much stopping on the first 30 miles of the ride that I just wanted to keep pedaling. In hindsight, I would have been able to stop and chit chat a bit. It would have been nice to represent the forums through conversation. We lucked out with the weather so that helped a lot.
Old 06-06-11, 11:19 AM
RobE30
Wherever I may roam....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries about being in a rush, it was frustrating to me with all the stops because where I'm used to riding you can ride 20-30 miles without having to stop. It was nice to say hi to you! The weather was quite comfortable, much better than last years drizzle
Old 06-06-11, 12:23 PM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm in for the Princeton TDC this weekend for my first charity ride ever (30 miles). I can't decide which bike I want to use but am leaning towards my cyclocross bike with its better tranny although the old Fuji is just so smooth riding.

I can't believe I overlooked the Philly ride last weekend. I was away for the weekend but the ride ran within 2 blocks of my house in Ambler
Old 06-07-11, 05:51 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, we really lucked out with the weather this year. Rob, are you going to do the Covered Bridges ride in October?
knobd, it's always a shame when you miss out on local rides! That area is pretty decent for riding, I hope you get out often.
Here is a pic of my friend changing the tube on his bike while most people were starting the race. It was a day of bad luck for him.
Old 06-09-11, 01:40 PM
hkboy313

Bikes: caad9

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
delayed update...NYC

what an awesome ride, despite the rolling hills that stretched a 100 miles to bear mountain and back. surprising how many pleasant people participated; riders, sponsors, volunteers. i've never experienced such friendly people. it was the first time i rode in a pack, 6 including me. was nice to ride up front and lead them and was nice to draft when the legs needed juicing up. the gentlemen i rode with were going an average of 20 mph so for me it was a challenge, 6 hours on the road and almost an hour of breaks through out the course. the annoying thing was arriving to the rest stops, the food/drinks weren't there, we were faster than they thought or they were just unorganized. i'd think after 20 years they'd get with the program. hills averaged 10% which was a mistake when i chose to ride with a standard crank (the boys had triples and compacts, apparently they rode this in previous years, this was my first), a bit of a struggle but at the summit i'd say the descents were breathtaking at 40+ mph. definitely felt the adrenaline that comes from the pro cyclists, felt like i was doing the TdF. at the finish i could barely hold on, legs were shot or i "bonked". never go to a tour if you've trained only 25 mi/wk and expect to concur the distance and HILLS. wore my johnny mellow's jersey and 2 ladys called out "hey lance!" that was pretty funny.
Old 06-10-11, 04:45 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by hkboy313
delayed update...NYC

what an awesome ride, despite the rolling hills that stretched a 100 miles to bear mountain and back. surprising how many pleasant people participated; riders, sponsors, volunteers. i've never experienced such friendly people. it was the first time i rode in a pack, 6 including me. was nice to ride up front and lead them and was nice to draft when the legs needed juicing up. the gentlemen i rode with were going an average of 20 mph so for me it was a challenge, 6 hours on the road and almost an hour of breaks through out the course. the annoying thing was arriving to the rest stops, the food/drinks weren't there, we were faster than they thought or they were just unorganized. i'd think after 20 years they'd get with the program. hills averaged 10% which was a mistake when i chose to ride with a standard crank (the boys had triples and compacts, apparently they rode this in previous years, this was my first), a bit of a struggle but at the summit i'd say the descents were breathtaking at 40+ mph. definitely felt the adrenaline that comes from the pro cyclists, felt like i was doing the TdF. at the finish i could barely hold on, legs were shot or i "bonked". never go to a tour if you've trained only 25 mi/wk and expect to concur the distance and HILLS. wore my johnny mellow's jersey and 2 ladys called out "hey lance!" that was pretty funny.
Awesome

Old 06-11-11, 03:24 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeck
no the medals are not standard. every ride has a different commity and does diferent things to congadulate you. the medal is sweet! I am going to send this picture to our rep. i think its a great idea.

EDIT: just talked to our rep for Tour de Cure. He said this was the first year for these. That if you hit a specific dollar goal they were an award. He hasnt been able to order any yet.
For us, it was for the riders who raised over $1k

Old 06-11-11, 03:58 PM
X-LinkedRider
Flying Under the Radar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave
For us, it was for the riders who raised over $1k

Was this for the philly TdC?
Old 06-11-11, 04:51 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Was this for the philly TdC?
No. This was for Boiling Springs.
Old 06-11-11, 08:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
We had 1800 cyclists at the Indy Tour de Cure today. I opted for the 75k road ride this year instead of the 100 mile track ride. Very well organized ride, great route, and the rain held off. Plus a free massage at the end!
Old 06-12-11, 07:40 AM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

^ Road Ride > Track ride (imho).

Some pics from yesterday:

Old 06-12-11, 09:47 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
We had 1800 cyclists at the Indy Tour de Cure today. I opted for the 75k road ride this year instead of the 100 mile track ride. Very well organized ride, great route, and the rain held off. Plus a free massage at the end!
No wonder I couldn't find you. I kept checking the 'bents on the track for your Cat jersey.
Old 06-12-11, 09:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Zoxe
No wonder I couldn't find you. I kept checking the 'bents on the track for your Cat jersey.
Mr Z on The Indy Track June 11, 2011

Lookin Good....

Slideshow
https://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 06-12-11 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 01:38 PM
Hobie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Kona DewPlus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the North Haven, CT Tour de Cure this morning.
My GF and I did the 100K ride. 4 hours 39 minutes.

Weather was dreary this morning. Pretty brisk but thankfully no rain. Only had to deal with the wet roads from the overnight rain.

Had fun and raised $460.

We also got the medals that were posted above in the thread.
Old 06-12-11, 07:27 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoxe
Ha
Old 06-13-11, 07:44 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Gah, sorry ... Cummins.

(My brother works for Cat, and does have a jersey. )
Old 06-13-11, 10:44 AM
Chris(NJ)

Bikes: Aethos (inbound), Pivot LES -XX1, Ibis Hakka -Force1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Overall, great ride yesterday at the Princeton NJ segment. However, it was the most poorly marked route I've ever been on. They really need to improve that in the future.
Old 06-13-11, 12:20 PM
ischgl99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the 50k event in North Haven yesterday. It ended up being better weather then forecast and the rain held off for the entire ride. I finished in 2 hours 55 minutes (cut off almost a half hour over last years time) and had my 6 year old son and dad ride the last 6 miles with me, made for a nice cool down period. They gave my son a medal as well even though he was not registered! He was proudly wearing that the rest of the day and I had a big smile on my face seeing him enjoying the ride.
Old 06-14-11, 01:34 AM
marley mission
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Overall, great ride yesterday at the Princeton NJ segment. However, it was the most poorly marked route I've ever been on. They really need to improve that in the future.
hey chris
i didnt think it was too badly marked - but there was times when my buddy and i wondered if we went the wrong way because we didnt see those red arrows for awhile - we enjoyed the course - hope u did as well

i did the 60 on my old peugeot mixte - didnt see any other CV rides though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.