Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

It's the "what is the rider doing wrong?" thread, again

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

It's the "what is the rider doing wrong?" thread, again

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-17, 10:21 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
you could be legally in the right, ... you could also end up being dead wrong.
Considering how very few cyclist deaths there are each year, why do so many of you love constantly repeating this phrase?
Old 05-31-17, 10:53 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
I assure you your memory is faulty with respect to seeing CyclingSavvy material declaring that sidewalks should never be ridden on. They're very careful to avoid authoritarian dictates like that.

As to signaling others when to pass, for me it's mostly about avoiding buildups of long queues behind me. Without a little coaxing some drivers just don't go, then another vehicle shows up back there, and pretty soon you have a line of 5 cars behind you and you're legally required to use a turnout. Totally avoidable if you hint to them when it's safe to pass. Induces friendly feedback too, which is always nice.
Well, I'm not assured, and do remember seeing in in their material. Sorry

I simply don't find extensive backups to be a problem, naturally avoiding them through a willingness to be pragmatic as conditions allow, rather than creating it with over assertive preemptive techniques then trying to control it.
Once in a very great while I might wave by an extremely hesitant driver, but the vast majority are simply being cautious and figure things out for themselves without my meddling. There's no need to divide my attention, and waste my time attempting to place myself in the drivers seat of every vehicle I encounter.
Old 05-31-17, 11:19 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Considering how very few cyclist deaths there are each year, why do so many of you love constantly repeating this phrase?
That's a sword that cuts both ways,
Cutting both those who feel compelled to surrender their "rights" and retreat to the margins in a vain attempt to please everyone, and those who misuse those "rights" as a shield to ward off any sense of rapport with their fellow road users.
Old 05-31-17, 11:23 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While biking on the sidewalk would eliminate the very rare overtaking crash, it would increase the bicyclist’s risk for the far more common right hooks, left crosses, and drive-outs, and would make left turns far more complicated and less safe for the cyclist. Sidewalks present many more blind spots and physical hazards (such as poles, newspaper boxes, and intruding shrubs and tree limbs) than roadways do. If there’s a sidewalk on the left side of the road, but not the right side, cyclists would be traveling against the flow of traffic, which has been shown in traffic safety studies to increase the cyclist’s crash risk by a factor of four.
FAQ: Why do you ride like that? ? CyclingSavvy
Old 05-31-17, 11:57 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by kickstart
That's a sword that cuts both ways,
Cutting both those who feel compelled to surrender their "rights" and retreat to the margins in a vain attempt to please everyone, and those who misuse those "rights" as a shield to ward off any sense of rapport with their fellow road users.
A response with no relationship to my post.
Old 06-01-17, 02:11 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I am actually quite familiar with the road in the OP's video.

I would avoid it at all costs, there are safer alternate routes.

That road could easily be a death trap, for any cyclist.

In his case, this was due to malicious behavior of the motorist.

There will always be a small percentage of motorists that will act that way.

Anytime you have to deal with freeway traffic, especially on and off ramps where motorists can easily triple or quadruple the speed of a typical cyclist, its not going to end well for the cyclist if there is a collision.

Also there is an easy escape route that makes it quite easy to get away with a hit and run.

394, is one of the fastest freeways in the MSP area, I've seen motorists racing at well over twice the posted speed limit on numerous occasions into and out of downtown Minneapolis.

Also factor in the multiple car dealerships in the vicinity which often have several motorists taking test drives in cars they are not familiar with. Law enforcement is also fairly relaxed in that area, they usually only show up at accident scenes.

Its all too easy to be dead wrong in this particular scenario.

Last edited by SHBR; 06-01-17 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 05:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts

Anytime you have to deal with freeway traffic, especially on and off ramps where motorists can easily triple or quadruple the speed of a typical cyclist, its not going to end well for the cyclist if there is a collision.

Also there is an easy escape route that makes it quite easy to get away with a hit and run.

394, is one of the fastest freeways in the MSP area, I've seen motorists racing at well over twice the posted speed limit on numerous occasions into and out of downtown Minneapolis.

Also factor in the multiple car dealerships in the vicinity which often have several motorists taking test drives in cars they are not familiar with. Law enforcement is also fairly relaxed in that area, they usually only show up at accident scenes.

Traffic density didn't look too bad at all in the video. I want to look at a map of the alternate route you recommend to get from where he was to where he was going. Can you maybe screen shot me one?
Old 06-01-17, 06:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Traffic density didn't look too bad at all in the video. I want to look at a map of the alternate route you recommend to get from where he was to where he was going. Can you maybe screen shot me one?
Let's see if this link works....

Edit, interesting, not exactly working but it should give other BF users the details to work with. It appears Google is defaulting to driving directions, so click the bike directions button.

Googles suggested route is the route I took on this ride.

My preferred best route is not showing up in each version of this map (I'm seeing two different lists of options). My preferred route goes south out of the park, crossing Hwy 55 and 394 before heading west on the Cedar Trail.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 06-01-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 06:49 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Here's a screenshot of the Google options:

[IMG]free photo upload[/IMG]

I'm interested to know if this is the same options other users see when using the link above.
Old 06-01-17, 07:54 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Cedar lake road to Texas avenue, cross at Winnetka bridge, hook up with your trail after crossing hwy55.

Sure its longer, but it avoids Ridgedale and Carlson Parkway.

Edit: Nevermind, your preferred route is probably the best one, albeit a bit boring on the cedar trail.

Last edited by SHBR; 06-01-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 09:16 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Traffic density didn't look too bad at all in the video.
You're correct, that bridge in the original video should be perfectly safe to cross, much safer than the bridges I crossed the other night.

However, in the states, there tends to be more malicious behavior that is totally unwarranted, something I rarely encounter here, especially when traffic is light.
Old 06-01-17, 09:27 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow
I can see why it is called
THE LAND OF 10,000 LAKES
or is it 1000 lakes?
or is it some other state

In any case lotta' freakin' lakes

Yeah this has nothing to do with riding-except you have to ride around these lakes-or over their edges maybe on dodgy bridges
Old 06-01-17, 09:45 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Wow
I can see why it is called
THE LAND OF 10,000 LAKES
or is it 1000 lakes?
or is it some other state

In any case lotta' freakin' lakes

Yeah this has nothing to do with riding-except you have to ride around these lakes-or over their edges maybe on dodgy bridges
Although promoted as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," Minnesota has 11,842 lakes of 10 acres or more.
Link to Wikipedia with names of all of these lakes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_of_Minnesota
Old 06-01-17, 02:57 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Oh my, that is dangerous, there must have been at least 100 cyclist deaths on there over the past ten years. Please post the stories on that rash of cyclist deaths.
Old 06-01-17, 10:42 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Oh my, that is dangerous, there must have been at least 100 cyclist deaths on there over the past ten years. Please post the stories on that rash of cyclist deaths.
There is far less than 100 cyclists in the general area where that OP lives.

Try again.

BTW what would YOU have done in the OP's situation?

My advice stands, choose an alternate route.
Old 06-02-17, 02:33 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

BS alert.

I do just fine cycling just the way the OP does. To bad cyclist like you are so fearful.

OK, so show the article of even one cyclist death at the OPs video location.
Old 06-02-17, 05:20 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2136 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts

Try again.

My question remains. Which route? You said there are better routes, now show me.
Old 06-02-17, 06:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 2,350 Posts
yeah, don't care for those kinds of highway interactions

reminds me of 7/11/16 riding to work

I was cruising on the overpass for route 3. not sure if it was my fault for not "riding large" or just a car drivers inability to decide what to do. it was a large suburban type SUV and they were moving very fast, like the speed they would use to merge ONTO a freeway, not exit a local road for an entrance ramp. quess they didn't realize how fast I was going or didn't want to slow down and tuck in behind me so they maybe sped up to pass me in front of me. I think this is called a right hook. they cleared me with plenty of room, but only cuz they were going so fast. maybe a helmet mirror would help me see this kind of thing coming (and I could slow down for them?). before going into this area I did take a look behind me but obviously after I looked this car came from a distance quite quickly

I am the orange line and the car is the red line here

Old 06-02-17, 07:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

My question remains. Which route? You said there are better routes, now show me.
We had this conversation, he lived in the area and knows the routes, the Carlson bridge is a least favorite (but most direct) route to get to my house. Other routes add miles and time I didn't want to take. I made a choice, it's a low traffic time and I needed to get home, so I took the sh.tty bridge.... and found one hateful person using their car to punish me for my choice.
Old 06-02-17, 08:42 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
We had this conversation, he lived in the area and knows the routes, the Carlson bridge is a least favorite (but most direct) route to get to my house. Other routes add miles and time I didn't want to take. I made a choice, it's a low traffic time and I needed to get home, so I took the sh.tty bridge.... and found one hateful person using their car to punish me for my choice.
Old 06-02-17, 08:47 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

BS alert.

I do just fine cycling just the way the OP does. To bad cyclist like you are so fearful.

OK, so show the article of even one cyclist death at the OPs video location.
Show me any statistic that proves there are at least 100 cyclists on the road at any given time within a mile radius of where the OP lives.

I rekon you don't do "just fine" with the motorists in your area. Spit on cars much?

C'mon over here, and lets see just how long you last, I'll take you on the scenic route.
Old 06-02-17, 09:05 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
We had this conversation, he lived in the area and knows the routes, the Carlson bridge is a least favorite (but most direct) route to get to my house. Other routes add miles and time I didn't want to take. I made a choice, it's a low traffic time and I needed to get home, so I took the ****ty bridge.... and found one hateful person using their car to punish me for my choice.
No matter your choice, those kind of people exist on every route. I had a car full of those people on the military bass 2 days ago; four fat civilian workers crammed into a compact Honda headed home after work. After their 1" pass, yelling and pull over to fight, they suddenly realized they had already done enough to loose their base driving privileges and an assault would cause them to loose their jobs, so they got smart and ran away.
Old 06-02-17, 09:05 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah, don't care for those kinds of highway interactions

I am the orange line and the car is the red line here

Car culture at its finest.

I'm sure the engineers who designed this deathtrap road never considered that a cyclist might use it.
Old 06-02-17, 09:17 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Show me any statistic that proves there are at least 100 cyclists on the road at any given time within a mile radius of where the OP lives.
Sure, change the parameters to try and make your claims correct. What next, you will demand a cyclist be found within 1 square foot of bridge center at 1147 on June 3.

I rekon you don't do "just fine" with the motorists in your area. Spit on cars much?
In the last 10 years, just the 4 fat losers 2 days ago. They did that on base which cyclist simply do not have problems on. The idea that they would treat troops like that on base really did piss me off. The other option to spit on their car, was mace into the windows.

C'mon over here, and lets see just how long you last, I'll take you on the scenic route.
You get afraid and triggered from cycling on a road with NO cars!
Old 06-02-17, 09:31 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Sure, change the parameters to try and make your claims correct. What next, you will demand a cyclist be found within 1 square foot of bridge center at 1147 on June 3.

In the last 10 years, just the 4 fat losers 2 days ago. They did that on base which cyclist simply do not have problems on. The idea that they would treat troops like that on base really did piss me off. The other option to spit on their car, was mace into the windows.

You get afraid and triggered from cycling on a road with NO cars!
Right.

Show us some video or a police report of your said event, otherwise all your doing is just talking B.S.

Yes, I am afraid of hostile motorists, excuse me for being human, soldier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.