Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where do you usually buy your road bike brake cable?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where do you usually buy your road bike brake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-22, 10:53 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,050 Times in 544 Posts
eBay for me for basic cables. There are brick and mortar stores selling stuff at great prices. If I want fancier stuff my neighbors at Universal Cycle are great.
Old 09-11-22, 11:44 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Physics does not change just because you are on the ground.
You are correct. But the application sure does.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 09-11-22, 12:25 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
You are correct. But the application sure does.
I'm curious (and no, this is not meant facetiously, I really do want to know) how the points made in the quoted portion of post # 22 do not apply to bicycle cables.
Old 09-11-22, 02:17 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by madpogue
I'm curious (and no, this is not meant facetiously, I really do want to know) how the points made in the quoted portion of post # 22 do not apply to bicycle cables.
Click the link in post #22 and continue to read past the section quoted. Benefits positives and negatives are mentioned, particularly how the cables are wound.

There are several methods of reducing wear and increasing fatigue resistance in a wire rope. Wear resistance can be increased by changing how the wire stands are wound. In the picture above the individual wires are horizontal (parallel to the axis of the rope). This is called "right regular lay" and is the standard lay. Another method of winding the wire stands is so that they form an angle to the axis of the rope. This is called "lang lay". Lang lay increases fatigue strength and abrasion resistance without any decrease in ultimate strength. Another method of changing the wire characteristics of fatigue strength,. abrasion resistance, and flexibility is to use wires of different diameters. For example, Douglas-Specification DMS2192 calls for a Warrington Seal (IWRC) construction. This type of wire rope has larger wires on the outside and and smaller wires on the inside.

There are other wire rope designs that the engineer can call for to optimize specific performance goals. This is why when we replace wire rope we should make sure that the replacement meets the original manufacturer's specifications.
In bold sums it up. Performance goals of a bicycle cable are different than those of a airplane cable. Bicycle cables are wound and cut in a specific way to reduce friction. Pic below shows how high quality cables are wound, notice the outer wires are not round. That shape was the single biggest advancement in cables. The link clearly sates that SS cables have better corrosion resistance.
  • Stainless steel is more corrosion resistant.
Where do bicycle cables corrode the most and why? Under the BB because that's where water naturally collects. SS>galvanized on a bike.

Last edited by miamijim; 09-11-22 at 02:22 PM.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 09-11-22, 11:06 PM
tcpasley

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
If you have a long run of housing to the rear brake or rear derailleur, you might benefit from a coated cable. I have just used up my stash of Delta Aztec Duracote cables that I got on clearance from REI years ago. The price on them now is about $5 a pop - too high for liking. You will definitely benefit from good quality lined housing like Jagwire or Shimano. As mentioned earlier, drawn cables have a slicker finish.

I just saw that JensonUSA sells Foundation Brand brake and shifter kits with PTFE coated cables, housing, ferrules, and end caps for $11.99 and $13.50 respectively. Not bad. They also sell Shimano brand zinc shifter cables, 10 for $23. I'd say that's a pretty strong endorsement for zinc cables if Shimano sells them under their brand name.

The problem I see with zinc cables is white zinc oxide corrosion developing on the surface of unprotected sections of cable, which increases friction. A well lubed zinc cable in a sealed housing should be OK,
Old 09-12-22, 06:43 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Once a young engineer maintaining cables we called wire rope in underground mining skips, smelter aisle cranes, man lifts, etc. I assure you the application as Jim says is paramount.
Old 09-12-22, 07:12 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
I finally got tired of scrounging up individual cables and bought a file box of SRAM slick stainless brake cables on sale. I also bought shift cable and shift and brake housing file boxes. Each file box has 100 cables, the housing comes in 30 meter boxes. It wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it to not think about it anymore.
Likes For fliplap:
Old 09-12-22, 07:35 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 117 Posts
I USUALLY get mine through my not so LBS. I used to wrench there and I still get an employee discount. Because it's a forty minute Ural ride to get there since I moved sticks, the cables are near the bottom of the list when I go to the shop.When I don't have a valid reason to go, it's through Bezos.
Old 09-12-22, 07:58 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Physics does not change just because you are on the ground.
My stainless cables purposefully break if my first officer inputs 75% differential steering input on my handlebar in flight.

Wait, what were we talking about?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 09-12-22, 08:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
I bought a bunch of clearance kits/singles from REI when they phased out their Novarra brand, vintage Raleigh double ended when Ben's cycle had a "rummage" sale, a few Bell kits for BSOs somewhere on clearance. I'll buy bulk housing locally for specific colors if needed. I've also bought inner cables locally from their bulk stock as well.
Old 09-12-22, 08:48 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Bicycle cables are wound and cut in a specific way to reduce friction. Pic below shows how high quality cables are wound, notice the outer wires are not round. That shape was the single biggest advancement in cables.
And guess what? Galvanized cables also come in that type of 'slick' flattened outer strands configuration:
https://jagwire.com/products/inner-w...ake-inner-wire
This is not something unique to Stainless cables

The link clearly sates that SS cables have better corrosion resistance.
And I clearly said early "Unless you have a specific problem with your cables rusting....."
If you ride in a climate where cables rusting is a problem then by all means get stainless. Otherwise galvanized cables is intrinsically better because of the self lubricating properties and because it's not as stiff as stainless.
Old 09-12-22, 10:13 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 147 Posts

The bending of a wire rope causes the individual wire stands to not only bend but to rub against one another. <snip> .Every time the wire rope is flexed, the stainless wires rub together. High friction creates high wear.
Bicycle cables are not subject to bending, only tension. (being "pulled" around a cable guide is still tension).
Old 09-12-22, 10:30 AM
miamijim

And guess what? Galvanized cables also come in that type of 'slick' flattened outer strands configuration:
https://jagwire.com/products/inner-w...ake-inner-wire
This is not something unique to Stainless cables

And I clearly said early "Unless you have a specific problem with your cables rusting....."
If you ride in a climate where cables rusting is a problem then by all means get stainless. Otherwise galvanized cables is intrinsically better because of the self lubricating properties and because it's not as stiff as stainless.

W. Go for it.
Old 09-12-22, 10:52 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I tend to go brand name for cable and cable housing, shimano or Jagwire... I am also a stainless fan... If the use is friction shifting then there probably is not much difference...
Me too, but lately I have just gone over to the Walmart for cables on my Franken Builds. For cables Stainless Rules. I also use economical cable housings too. I do, however, spray the inside of the cable housing with Red-N-Redi grease before stuffing in my cables. Learned this from sea water boaters...

Old 09-12-22, 11:28 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
I finally got tired of scrounging up individual cables and bought a file box of SRAM slick stainless brake cables on sale. I also bought shift cable and shift and brake housing file boxes. Each file box has 100 cables, the housing comes in 30 meter boxes. It wasn’t cheap, but it was worth it to not think about it anymore.
I went through the same reasoning and eventually found online a 100pcs Jagwire brake cable box and a 40m Shimano housing. Last check on specs before hitting the payment button, just to find out that the selected Shimano housing was for Mtb and that construction is different from Road housings. Really, they’re not interchangeable? I must be so naive… Doing some quick research on the web, it seems (I’m no engineer and have no knowledge on the matter) that unlike Mtb, Shimano Road housing inner liner needs to be harder to stand the greater force applied on the brake due to the lesser mechanical advantage. Mtbs inner liner, on the opposite, can be smoother and softer. Hence, there are some suggesting not to mix Shimano Mtb housing with Road cable at the risk of slack braking and cable failure. Others say it’s really not a problem to mix them.
Sorry I’m going off topic, that was just to say I’m back to square one with my bulk purchases
Old 09-12-22, 12:25 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
I bought Aican cables and compressionless housing through eBay. Pretty much the same as Jagwire.

I would never recommend anything other than compressionless for anyone still running brake cables.
Old 09-12-22, 05:41 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
Bicycle cables are not subject to bending, only tension. (being "pulled" around a cable guide is still tension).
They are subject to bending as they move through their travel range. As the cable moves through the bends in the housing, it must bend as well.
Old 09-13-22, 10:39 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
They are subject to bending as they move through their travel range. As the cable moves through the bends in the housing, it must bend as well.
Last clarification, all in good humour!

Engineering terms for bending

Bicycle cables do NOT have the load applied to the center to create the bend. The cable is under tension (as mentioned) therefore is mutually exclusive to the engineering term of bending as referenced on this page.

All of this is a moot point. The crash of that airplane was caused by a cable rubbing against a cable guide, combined with an inspection and lubrication schedule that was not increased, despite the excessive duty cycles of the elevators.

I will continue to use smooth stainless cables when I have the option, and will sleep like a babe.

Link to references.

Old 09-13-22, 11:32 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Regardless of where the load is applied, the bicycle cable is bent and furthermore it flexes as it bends and unbends in its travel. As it flexes, the strands are rubbing against one another which adds to the friction. With enough rubbing the strands will break.
Old 09-13-22, 12:03 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I only buy Campy and Shimano brake and shifter cables. They cost more but they will last for many years. Not worth trying to save a few dollars on a bike with off brand cables.