Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike seat question

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike seat question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-24, 03:47 PM
Average Old Guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 13 Posts
Bike seat question

Here's the situation. I'm an 80-yr-old guy, in pretty good shape. Ride my old beat-up no-name bike 4-5 days a week, 5-8 miles daily, average 6:15 pace over flat terrain. I live in rural VA where the Potomac joins the Chesapeake Bay, no traffic, flat roads.

One problem: I am tired of my bike seat pushing my pants and underpants up my butt. The seat is original to the bike -- two padded sections, one for each side of the rider's butt, with a long point sticking forward. Somewhere I saw a bike seat that did not have long, pointed front section -- the seat looked like a two-section cradle with a slight rise in the center.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-24, 03:54 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Sounds like an ISM saddle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-21-24, 04:05 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 167 Posts
Those triathlon saddles aren't very comfortable either. Just play with adjustments on your current seat first, point the nose a little lower, in small increments.
Old 05-21-24, 04:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4523 Post(s)
Liked 4,229 Times in 2,829 Posts
The first thing to do is adjust the saddle fore and aft, adjust the angle and make sure the height is correct. Once you have done that ride the saddle for a bit and then if still having issues then go down to your local shop or fitter and explain what you like and don't like about the current saddle and what you have done to adjust it.
Old 05-21-24, 05:20 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
...I am tired of my bike seat pushing my pants and underpants up my butt...
Needs Pics... Of the saddle and of you in the Saddle...

At examining your OP the problem is a Wadi after ridding?

And just what is a Wadi? I guess over in Africa it was a crack in the ground sometimes filled with water but for the most part dry. My recollection of an African Wadi had the bottom of them filled with organic trash, weeds, vines, and nasty mud if wet. Not much unlike getting your stinky shorts crammed up your arse... Ha

For me that problem was resolved by using padded bike shorts or spandex long leg briefs under my shorts.
Old 05-21-24, 05:44 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 391 Posts
Photo of seat? You need 10 posts over 2 days or a friendly bike forum member who knows how to post photos. (I miss the 2nd half of that.)

I agree with Zandoval about getting some bike shorts.

ETA: Regular clothes have seams that run along the pubic artery and pubic nerve. Bike shorts don't. They have pads, too, but a pad that is too thick or doesn't fit close to exactly right can be almost as bad as normal clothes.

Last edited by philbob57; 05-22-24 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-21-24, 06:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 732 Posts
I'm betting he is referencing the Easy Seat. Look it up. Our shop sold plenty of them to rectify pressure on the crotch (taint, preventing numb nuts).
Old 05-21-24, 08:09 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I agree. If the width of the saddle is appropriate for you "sit bones", it might be the best answer. I had one on each of my bikes. Never regretted that choice. I wore wicking boxer briefs and lightweight (non-bicycling) shorts over those. No problem.
Old 05-21-24, 10:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 812 Posts
Wear bike shorts too. If you don't like the spandex look, get some shorts made for riding with a padded liner. I use both types. The padded liner I can wear with any suitable shorts I own, but were designed for a specific pair - which also work fine of course.
Old 05-24-24, 02:15 PM
Average Old Guy

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Thank you. I Googled the ISM saddle, picked one up, put ten miles on it today and it seems as though this is what I'm looking for. Carried my wrench with me, made a minor adjustment at five miles, got home, no underpants or shorts up my butt!!!! Comfortable, no butt discomfort, seems that I was able to pedal easier.

I'm an old guy -- be 80 in December, stiff back due to spinal stenosis, old beater bicycle.
Likes For Average Old Guy:
Old 05-24-24, 02:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked 5,175 Times in 3,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Average Old Guy
Thank you. I Googled the ISM saddle, picked one up, put ten miles on it today and it seems as though this is what I'm looking for. Carried my wrench with me, made a minor adjustment at five miles, got home, no underpants or shorts up my butt!!!! Comfortable, no butt discomfort, seems that I was able to pedal easier.

I'm an old guy -- be 80 in December, stiff back due to spinal stenosis, old beater bicycle.
Glad it appears to have worked out for you. I’ve never tried one of those saddles personally.
Old 05-24-24, 03:09 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 781 Posts
Pants AND underpants? I can't imagine that being comfortable.It's not the saddle/seat IMO.
Old 05-25-24, 02:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Pants AND underpants? I can't imagine that being comfortable.It's not the saddle/seat IMO.
I don't know, I wear undwerwear and shorts, even on 70 mile days while on tour. Brooks, and no discomfort. The underwear has no seams on the back, so nothing to cause irritation.