Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pine needles in brake caliper

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 09:53 AM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts

Living in the southern US, we have a few pine trees. And the paths, trails I ride are always littered with pine needles. I know that some debris will always get into my brake calipers and I have been diligent about cleaning them after rides, but lately this has been getting ridiculous. Typical path:

Pine needle path

I had a Kona Dew with the Clarks M2 hydraulic disk brakes, and now have a Dr. Dew with Shimano Altus brakes and a front fender. Specifically, the rear caliper is mounted horizontally on the chainstay on both bikes. The Clarks got so packed with pine needles that the rear stopped working altogether and had to be rebuilt. And this weekend, I had to stop a few times to unpack the needles from the Altus caliper; then do a full cleaning when I got home. As in the picture above, I am not riding through bales of pine needles, they are just unavoidable here.And I am running 650bx47mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro tires.

My other bike, a Specialized Vado with Shimano BR-MT200 brakes, has never had this issue in 2600 miles.

Anyone have clever ideas to prevent the pine needles from getting pulled into the rear caliper while still allowing airflow? Again, I expect some debris, it's natural; but that they get so packed as to stop working is confounding. (Aside, the jockey wheels also get completely wrapped in the needles but those wheels seem to chew the needles up and not impact their movement.)
Old 01-03-24, 12:36 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3593 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Maybe something like a flint-catcher mounted on the back of the rack to knock the needles off the tire before they get near the brake?
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 01-03-24, 01:03 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 384 Posts
THey are probably climbing up the kickstand...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 01-03-24, 01:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,562 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Maybe something like a flint-catcher mounted on the back of the rack to knock the needles off the tire before they get near the brake?
Disc brakes. That catcher will be about a foot too high. Designing a caliper with an integral shield shouldn't be hard but apparently no one has seen the need to. A retrofit shield should also be possible but I do not have disc brakes and am not signing up for the task of designing it.

Edit: read the OP. Rear wheel. Sorry JohnD, my comment wasn't right. And being a rear caliper, you could mount something like the glass catcher on the seatstay, only instead of a wire, it should be say a half dollar coin of lightweight aluminum with a narrow slot just wider than the disc. Maybe bent into a "V" to shed the needles off to the side instead of piling up. R&D time. (There are probably grants out there to fund research on best disposal of used needles that could be had with the properly worded application. )

Last edited by 79pmooney; 01-03-24 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 01:22 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
I had problems with the rear derailleur and cassette clogging up when forced to ride through piles of leaves. I started riding with a spoke hidden on the bike, bent to yield a handle on one end and a hook on the other. The next time I used that spoke was to pull the chain thrown off by a twig that got caught. The spoke might be too crude for your needles, but still, you might need some instrument for them, before and even after you develop some protection.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-03-24, 02:34 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
You could take a small dia. bottle brush, bend the end into a U shape that would lightly touch the disk brake surfaces and use zip ties or tape or ??? to fasten the brush handle to the stay with the brush positioned over the disk section before it rotates into the caliper. If it works you could make a more elegant setup but try this first.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 01-03-24, 03:38 PM
JustaJoe

The Dr. Dew does not have a kickstand, I no longer have the bike in the picture. I do take some small needle-nose pliers and a piece of small diameter coat hanger to get the junk out during rides.

JohnDThompson and Crankycrank thank you for the suggestions - gives me something to try this evening. If I get this resolved, I'll post the solution.
Old 01-03-24, 06:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Looks like a pretty place to ride a bike.

Do you have a picture of the needle cloggage? It might help folks get some more ideas to run up the flagpole.

Old 01-03-24, 07:32 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 1,095 Posts
we’ve run through areas with heavy pine needle accumulation and no issues

multiple times

hmmm … will need to pay more attention next time
Old 01-03-24, 09:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked 6,492 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Disc brakes. That catcher will be about a foot too high...

Edit: ... Sorry ... my comment wasn't right.
Understandable as the bike photo in the op is not the subject bike.
Old 01-03-24, 11:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,636 Times in 1,050 Posts
Even without disks its a good idea ta check your bike after a pine needle ride. But what a ride. Although at times kinda slippery our single track through the pine trees was nice, soft, and quiet.

I miss them as they are no longer around. They were destroyed by ebike riders trying to play like dirt bike riders (motorcycle) and now they belong to dirt bikes only...
Old 01-04-24, 05:12 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by 2_i
I had problems with the rear derailleur and cassette clogging up when forced to ride through piles of leaves.

we often run through leaves - dry and wet

never had a problem with them (fouling the drivetrain or brakes)

hmmm
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-04-24, 08:06 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Understandable as the bike photo in the op is not the subject bike.
Bike in question and bike in photo have the same type of brake mounted in the same location though.
Old 01-04-24, 08:31 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
hmmm
My particular situation was of a pile of fluffy leaves blown by the wind into the passage. My wheels were buried maybe 10" deep. In situations like in your photos, I usually just get twigs in the drivetrain or leaves under the fenders. I learned that I still should stop and get them out, not only to get rid of the mild nuisance but to prevent the situation from escalating.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 01-04-24, 08:59 AM
t2p

Originally Posted by 2_i
My particular situation was of a pile of fluffy leaves blown by the wind into the passage. My wheels were buried maybe 10" deep. In situations like in your photos, I usually just get twigs in the drivetrain or leaves under the fenders. I learned that I still should stop and get them out, not only to get rid of the mild nuisance but to prevent the situation from escalating.
agree - plus you don’t know what could be hiding under the piles of leaves

we almost always kick it down a notch when we are riding through heavy leaves - regardless of the surface … crushed limestone, dirt, or black top / pavement … actually MUP / rail trail paved surfaces can be the worst when there are heavy leaves over raised areas or cracks (due to roots under the surface or heaving / breaks from freeze / thaw)

they do make a cool sound though when they are dry

Last edited by t2p; 01-04-24 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 09:03 AM
JustaJoe

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Looks like a pretty place to ride a bike.

Do you have a picture of the needle cloggage? It might help folks get some more ideas to run up the flagpole.
I do not, but if my initial efforts to eliminate this problem do not work, I will post a photo.

Here is the bike in question, since it seems I confused some folks. The orange-ish bike in the previous photo is a '23 Kona Dew Plus, again I no longer have that bike. I am now riding a '22 Kona Dr. Dew - similar geometry to the Dew, but steel frame, different drivetrain and brakes (brakes mounted in identical location). This picture is prior to swapping the Maxxis DTR-1 tires that it came with for the tubeless Pathfinders on it now.

Old 01-04-24, 09:10 AM
t2p

maybe the pine needles are transported from the ground to tire to rack (as the tire rotates) and then down onto the caliper ?

maybe if you rode slower the pine needle journey / trip would be shortened ?

different tire ?

do you have a go pro to mount in that area ?

Last edited by t2p; 01-04-24 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-04-24, 09:32 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,219 Posts
I usually deal with leaves, and like @t2p it's usually stuck in a fender. On those rare occasions when it gets into the brakes or chain, the leaf of interest usually becomes dust pretty quickly.

JustaJoe how long does it take to jam up your brakes? Could you stop every 15-30 minutes and swipe an index card through each side of the disc? Or if the card folds, go by a hobby shop and get a piece of sheet metal, cut and file the edges, and use that instead.

Alternatively, perhaps get some slick tires to reduce the lofting lugged tires do to the needles?
Old 01-04-24, 09:55 AM
t2p

maybe you can fabricate something small that will sit over / near the caliper … to catch the pine needles … so they are not ‘ingested’ …

sorta / kinda like the rear part of the disc brake protector on the motorcycle (pictured above) … just the rear portion of the protector where it sits over the caliper

?
Old 01-04-24, 10:17 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 360 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

hmmm
NRT?

Leaf debris was an issue, lately it’s been water and construction.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 01-04-24, 03:22 PM
JustaJoe

Originally Posted by t2p
maybe the pine needles are transported from the ground to tire to rack (as the tire rotates) and then down onto the caliper ?

different tire ?

This has happened with: WTB Byway tires (slicks), Maxxis DTR-1 (low, tight blocks), and the Pathfinders. I don't have a GoPro but can maybe rig something up for my phone to capture it.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I usually deal with leaves, and like @t2p it's usually stuck in a fender. On those rare occasions when it gets into the brakes or chain, the leaf of interest usually becomes dust pretty quickly.

JustaJoe how long does it take to jam up your brakes? Could you stop every 15-30 minutes and swipe an index card through each side of the disc? Or if the card folds, go by a hobby shop and get a piece of sheet metal, cut and file the edges, and use that instead.

Alternatively, perhaps get some slick tires to reduce the lofting lugged tires do to the needles?
As above, tried slicks, same thing. I'd guesstimate somewhere around 20mi is when the brake gets severely impacted, and I now carry tiny needle-nose pliers and small gauge coat hanger piece to remove the needles during my ride.

I was thinking a dork disk on that side of the wheel might help, but I don't have one. I tried a few mock-ups last night with card stock - made different shape "shields" for the area, but none did it for me. I'll do more mockups and if one looks promising, I'll re-make it out of thin aluminum sheet. Now that I type this, a design has come to mind....
Old 01-04-24, 07:00 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

different tire ?

Yeah. They might also be getting tossed up by the front tire. If so, a front fender that drops down further might help. Figuring out what is the most common way the needles get to the caliper would help. If you know where they are coming from, you could fabricate a shield of some sort.
Old 01-04-24, 08:11 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by Shadco
NRT?

Leaf debris was an issue, lately it’s been water and construction.

top two pics: Sandy Creek trail (near Franklin PA ; crosses over the Allegheny River trail)

bottom two pics: Butler-Freeport trail
Old 01-04-24, 08:25 PM
t2p

could not find pics of heavy pine needle accumulations

but did find pic of mrs t2p standing next to a small white pine …she’s a white pine fan girl
Old 01-05-24, 05:18 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,636 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
...we often run through leaves - dry and wet never had a problem with them (fouling the drivetrain or brakes) hmmm
But if ya do its just part of the ride...

Wonderful...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.