Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New bike maintenance required

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 06:13 PM
musicgalaxyman
Musicgalaxyman

Bikes: 2007 Kona Ute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I figured when I bought my 2007 new (old stock) Kona UTE that it being a high end service bike, that it would have been set up correctly.

I am a bit ashamed to admit that I was a pro bike mechanic, and certainly COULD have checked all out...but I didn't.

We had some deep snow here, so I decided to tear the bike apart and look at condition of all...here's what I learned about the quality of setup from factory and the "dealer."

Overall, the bike was in pretty good condition.

The HEADSET bearings had a bit of grease leftover, but benefited from a cleaning and regreasing. I normally would use marine grease on headsets, but went with some white lithium instead (because I had a tube handy.)

BOTTOM BRACKET is sealed, so no problems there.

BOLT TIGHTNESS CHECK, about 7 needed tightening a bit.

FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS: Now here's the surprise, these suckers were overtightened from factory, and I'd always wondered what effect this might have on bearings. I examined them
under glass and found the bearings were fine, so I repacked and good as new. But they were overtight from factory...and this was a bit of a surprise.

REAR WHEEL BEARINGS fine: no problem, just regreased and moved on.

PEDALS: These were very low end cage pedals and I've always wondered if they could be serviced. I went to a mechanic, he said, "I haven't a clue."

The black end caps pop off easily, but the manufacturer stamps the end of the pedal axel with and X to keep the outside race in place, and these races do not come out. I just squired in some oil and will replace with decent pedals when they go.

So...out of a new bike prep, the front wheel bearings were overtightened.

Next time out, I'm going to assume the bike needs a thorough going over prior to use.

The bike pedals easier, I can feel the difference.

Do you have a story along this line...if so, feel welcome to share.
Old 03-28-13, 06:43 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Picked up a pair of NIB 1992 Diamond Back Ascent EXs two years ago. Everything was well lubed and adjusted out of the box. Was expecting to have dry grease to deal with but it was quite fresh and plenty of it. Guess they took a bit more care back in the day.
Old 03-28-13, 06:57 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
When I was regularly wrenching I found it very rare to have hubs properly adjusted out of the box. Most Q/R hubs had no play, most bolt-on were tight. I remember more than one that had been torqued down so badly that the wheel had to be replaced because the cups were actually dimpled. There are still plenty of bikes that get through a bike shop assembly without proper wheel bearing adjustment. Relatively few shops remove the rear wheel to double-check bearing adjustment.
Old 03-28-13, 07:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5808 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 1,461 Posts
The quality of assembly and set up, is rarely related to the quality of the bike, or what you paid for it. The two biggest variables are the specific factory who built it, and the shop or mechanic who set it up.

Bike factories vary in what they do assembing bikes, but whatever they do they do it the same regardless of the model or price. So a factory that greases threads greases them on all bikes, and factories that don't, don't ever.

Then there's the shop or mechanic, most will do a decent job on what's exposed and the various adjustments. Others will open and check BBs and headsets (or base that on how much they trust the source).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-28-13, 07:37 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
When I was regularly wrenching I found it very rare to have hubs properly adjusted out of the box. Most Q/R hubs had no play, most bolt-on were tight. I remember more than one that had been torqued down so badly that the wheel had to be replaced because the cups were actually dimpled. There are still plenty of bikes that get through a bike shop assembly without proper wheel bearing adjustment. Relatively few shops remove the rear wheel to double-check bearing adjustment.
Hey, CNY-bikeman, are you in any way related to CNY bicycles? I regularly pass by the two shops situated right next to each other in the Syracuse area on my daily rides.
Old 03-29-13, 05:44 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
In my experience most new builds feature badly adjusted hub cones and these are usually too tight or make no allowance for the tightening of the QR's.

Just as important though is that even expensive wheels fitted to expensive bikes have the spoke tensions all over the place. It pays dividends to check spoke tensions and to stress and de-stress all new wheels as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-29-13, 07:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Fortunately most of the better bikes these days have sealed bearing on at least the wheels and BB. It is kind of a sad statement that even if you buy a high end bike you never seem to know what you will get.

A really good LBS will go over a high end bike and see that these problems are taken care of.
Old 03-29-13, 07:47 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by buffalowings
Hey, CNY-bikeman, are you in any way related to CNY bicycles? I regularly pass by the two shops situated right next to each other in the Syracuse area on my daily rides.
Nope - was briefly and unhappily employed at the now defunct Open Road shop, before that was in Michigan (see my profile). I do live in Syracuse and still keep my hands in the grease occasionally. I don't care for Syracuse Bicycles (formerly Wayne's/Melzer's). Advance Cyclery (Seely Ave/Erie Blvd) is a bit better but I like Epic Adventures in Fayetteville (kayaks also) or Bicycle Alley in Manlius.
Old 03-29-13, 08:58 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
It seems like almost all wheel bearings are set too tight. Some are WAY too tight. If it is too loose, the customer will immediately notice a wobbling wheel. If it's too tight, they won't notice until their bearings are destroyed..
Old 03-30-13, 04:24 PM
musicgalaxyman
Musicgalaxyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you

thank you all for your perspectives
Old 03-30-13, 07:20 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When my wife's 5200 Trek was brand new out of the box I put the wheels on my truing stand. Both Bontrager wheels were out of true, radially and laterally. The spoke tension was all over the place and one rim was slightly bent. Rear dish was also bad.
Old 03-30-13, 09:26 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by musicgalaxyman

FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS: Now here's the surprise, these suckers were overtightened from factory, and I'd always wondered what effect this might have on bearings. I examined them
under glass and found the bearings were fine, so I repacked and good as new. But they were overtight from factory...and this was a bit of a surprise.

REAR WHEEL BEARINGS fine: no problem, just regreased and moved on.
Nearly every hub I have seen come on a new bike has been overtightened, many times substantially.
Old 03-30-13, 09:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5808 Post(s)
Liked 2,633 Times in 1,461 Posts
Factories ship slightly overtightened hubs for a reason. Any bearing play makes problems for the wheel building machinery. Hub play adds a variable making it impossible for an automatic aligning machine to produce consistent results.

If you consider that it's SOP to set QR hubs so there's trace play which QR compression removes, then you can see the dilemma of how to set hub bearings headed to a wheel station.

There's also the fact that bearings undergo slighter quicker wear when brand new, so many hubs that people may think are tight, are actually spot on allowing for the "break in" wear. I'm not saying that all hubs are perfect as shipped, but that many (most?) are actually right even if they don't seem so.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-30-13, 09:51 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Factories ship slightly overtightened hubs for a reason. Any bearing play makes problems for the wheel building machinery. Hub play adds a variable making it impossible for an automatic aligning machine to produce consistent results.

If you consider that it's SOP to set QR hubs so there's trace play which QR compression removes, then you can see the dilemma of how to set hub bearings headed to a wheel station.

There's also the fact that bearings undergo slighter quicker wear when brand new, so many hubs that people may think are tight, are actually spot on allowing for the "break in" wear. I'm not saying that all hubs are perfect as shipped, but that many (most?) are actually right even if they don't seem so.
Never thought of that being why they are usually tight but makes sense about wheelbuilding machines.

I am not talking smooth but no tiny bit of play for QR wheels, most of the ones I seem to build ship feeling almost as if the races are pitted they are so tight. Lower end bikes I usually set QR hubs without that tiny bit of play for break in because new bikes that were set up like a nicer hub or one that is broken in were coming in for the first run through with too much play.
Old 03-31-13, 10:35 AM
musicgalaxyman
Musicgalaxyman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that's a mess
Old 03-31-13, 10:36 AM
musicgalaxyman
Musicgalaxyman