Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anybody know the history of Ross bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 01:10 PM
Al Criner

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Identical bikes

Originally Posted by brandenjs
Al, it sounds like our bikes are almost identical. I've got some pictures on my Photobucket site if you want to take a look and see how similar they are. I had a mishap that was the fault of my "relic" friction shifters on a metric century ride a couple of weeks ago. The shifter for the rear loosened up and banged down through the gears on a pretty steep climb. Needless to say I could'nt get unclipped fast enough and ended up falling over. Nothing hurt but my pride thankfully. I will be looking at switching to an indexed system if it's possible. I too am on the low budget cycling plan but I can see moving up the ladder of quality bikes in the future. In the meantime I really love this bike and it will be with me for awhile...Jeff

Jeff: I think you are right, our bikes are probably twins. I have the Sugino No. 6 cranks, etc. Sorry about your fall but I am glad you are alright. One thing about the Ross, it can probably handle a fall a lot better than you and I can. I dumped mine once and tore myself up a bit but the bike came through pretty well. I expect your bike was older than quite a few of the people riding in the century. Good Luck.
Old 10-08-07, 02:35 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Criner
Jeff: I think you are right, our bikes are probably twins. I have the Sugino No. 6 cranks, etc. Sorry about your fall but I am glad you are alright. One thing about the Ross, it can probably handle a fall a lot better than you and I can. I dumped mine once and tore myself up a bit but the bike came through pretty well. I expect your bike was older than quite a few of the people riding in the century. Good Luck.
I do think it was the dinosaur on the ride, but it fits my riding style. I'm a little paranoid about it doing it again. Every time I stand up to crank up a hill I think about it. I retorqued the screw and it seems to be fine. That will have to be part of my pre-ride inspection from now on. I'd love to see some pics of yours if you have any. Jeff
Old 10-08-07, 07:10 PM
Yogurt

Bikes: Formerly...1978 Proteus, 1981 Miyata 912, 1983 Schwinn Paramount, 1962 Raleigh Sports Deluxe, 1976 Alan Super Record.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This thread is awesome and I don't even own a Ross.
Old 10-09-07, 05:51 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by Yogurt
This thread is awesome and I don't even own a Ross.
Well you'll just have to find one and we can start a Ross retro fan club...I have'nt seen any of these bikes in the C & V thread. We need to defend these classics from the "They're not good enough" bunch..Jeff
Old 10-14-07, 06:42 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Just stumbled across this photo online, apparently Victory Cycles in Kokomo still has their Ross sign up!
Old 10-16-07, 09:47 AM
kponds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just last Thursday bought a (guessing) 80-85 gran tour in immaculate condition, except the decals are peeling off. Mine is a little different than brandenjs. It's charcoal grey, doesn't have any seattube decals, and has downtube shifters. And it's a 12 speed.

Rode it on a charity century ride Saturday, completely as I got it except I removed the suicide levers and added clipless pedals, and rack+bag.

Road great except the chain broke once. Kind of expected to have something like that.

Great bike. Mine's going to end up being a workhorse instead of a beautiful vintage ride like you guys though. Might convert it to single speed.

What's with the fork dropouts? Is it designed that way so that you can mount the wheel on the lower side for more clearance? Would that even be safe?
Old 10-16-07, 10:29 AM
digitalbicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kponds

What's with the fork dropouts? Is it designed that way so that you can mount the wheel on the lower side for more clearance? Would that even be safe?
Can you post a photo of that? Thanks.
Old 10-16-07, 10:50 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Just last Thursday bought a (guessing) 80-85 gran tour in immaculate condition, except the decals are peeling off. Mine is a little different than brandenjs. It's charcoal grey, doesn't have any seattube decals, and has downtube shifters. And it's a 12 speed.

Rode it on a charity century ride Saturday, completely as I got it except I removed the suicide levers and added clipless pedals, and rack+bag.

Road great except the chain broke once. Kind of expected to have something like that.

Great bike. Mine's going to end up being a workhorse instead of a beautiful vintage ride like you guys though. Might convert it to single speed.

Yes I would love to see a picture of that..I wish mine had the downtube shifters. What components does it have, and are they indexed? If you decide to go single speed let me know if you want to get rid of the gearset. Mine is a workhorse also,I've put over 300 miles on it since I've had it and I'm going to keep piling them on...great to see another one out there on the road...
Old 10-16-07, 11:29 AM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Can someone tell me if the Signature 290s models have stamped or forged dropouts? There is one for sale locally and am debating about driving out to see it or not.
Old 10-16-07, 12:05 PM
kponds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Componentry seems to be a mix of "golden arrow" (600 I think?) and altus with tourney cranks. Maybe some stuff was replaced by a previous owner.

I'll get pics up tonight.
Old 10-16-07, 12:13 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Golden Arrow was the first generation of 105 (produced 83-86). I'm currently searching for good photos of the cranksets and several other parts for my component catalog site as there seems to have been at least 2 versions of several of the parts.
Old 10-16-07, 12:25 PM
kponds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a little bit of searching I found these pics: https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...ight=ross+fork

Which look almost exactly like mine, but smaller size. same color too. Notice the fork ends.
Old 10-16-07, 03:56 PM
Al Criner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Safety C dropouts

After a little bit of searching I found these pics: https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...ight=ross+fork

Which look almost exactly like mine, but smaller size. same color too. Notice the fork ends.

I think that is just a safety idea to keep the front wheel from falling out if it isn't tightened properly. Ugly as sin.
Old 10-16-07, 10:02 PM
duane041
Junk Collector

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 2012 Colnago M10, 1990 Schwinn CrissCross

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
Can someone tell me if the Signature 290s models have stamped or forged dropouts? There is one for sale locally and am debating about driving out to see it or not.
All of the Signature line bikes had forged drops. Not sure of your tubing on a 290S, though, probably a lower-end Ishiwata, which is still nice stuff.
Old 10-17-07, 05:28 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Al Criner
I think that is just a safety idea to keep the front wheel from falling out if it isn't tightened properly. Ugly as sin.
Actually, I'll put my money on legal liability rather than safety.

Gotta keep those lawyers at bay somehow.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 10-17-07, 03:58 PM
andyross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.randyrrross.com/- Just thought some of you might be interested in what my brother Randy is up to vis a vis the bicycle industry. Thanks to everyone for keeping ROSS BICYCLES alive, Andy!
Old 10-17-07, 04:04 PM
andyross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
www.randyrrross.com
Old 10-17-07, 06:01 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting "stepper" bikes there. Reminds me of this thing I saw in the Denver transport museum:

Nice to see pictures of the old Ross bikes on that site too.
Old 10-18-07, 06:07 AM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Originally Posted by andyross
https://www.randyrrross.com/- Just thought some of you might be interested in what my brother Randy is up to vis a vis the bicycle industry. Thanks to everyone for keeping ROSS BICYCLES alive, Andy!
Thanks for the link Andy. I know what I'm asking for this Christmas.. I'm glad to keep the Ross name alive. My Gran Tour is my first road bike and I'm so glad I picked it up. If you know of anymore out there let us know...Jeff
Old 10-29-07, 07:55 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
So, what about the BCA bikes of Allentown, PA? Gaspipe junk? rare collectibles?
Old 10-30-07, 04:50 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All of the BCA bikes I've seen have been junk, YMMV
Old 10-30-07, 05:01 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Old 11-15-07, 03:47 PM
Al Criner

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sonatageek
To all of you looking at old Ross bikes (or any 70s-80s bikes) the Vintage Trek website (www.vintage-trek.com) has good info on old Shimano, SR-Sakae, Maillard, Sugino, etc. parts to help date it, if that matters to you.

One thing to note - on my '85 Gran Tour I have clearly dated parts that were manufactured from early 1982 to late 1984. If you feel a need to date an old Ross you need to date multiple parts, not just the first one you notice. It looks like they sort of swept out the warehouse to build some of the bikes - just an interesting note.

The old parts are solid, though. I just completed overhauling all the bearings (Maillard hubs, unknown headset, Campagnolo-style alloy touring pedals (I don't know the brand), plus I had a new Shimano UN-54 cartridge-bearing bottom bracket installed, just because that cost no more than overhauling the old one. It rides really smooth and the derailleurs shift very nicely. The rear derailleur is marked "RD 501" - this snaps through shifts like it was brand new. In my case the bike has very low miles on it so it has very little wear and with basic maintenance it is a pretty nice ride.
Old 11-17-07, 10:20 AM
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another for my Ross stable. Found it at a yard sale this morning. It's a 1987 Centaur, one owner, four rides and hung from a hook in the basement. Original Ross branded tires are in beautiful condition and even has a Velcro fastened cuff strap too.

The chain is in dire need of a clean & lube... Look at the kinks in the bottom run. The 'Grab-On' foam has seen better days, I'm thinking a red Cenelli style bar tape. I gave a C note, only because of the marque. It compliments my MTB.

Enjoy!

It looks to be all Shimano brakes & drive train. I'll be back with specs & detail shots after a clean up.
Old 11-18-07, 10:48 AM
raverson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Nice Centaur find Stacey. It shouldn't take much to clean up like new.

I had a similar Centaur a while back that I would have kept except it was a bit too small and it was pink and white. It had a comfortable, stable ride and the Shimano drivetrain shifted great after I swapped out the original chain for a narrower KMC Z chain.
Attached Images

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.