Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-23, 08:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,957 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
From a safety perspective.. what if you drive off a bridge and end up at the bottom of the river and need to escape.. then which is the more reliable?
The wind-down window, obviously. That's why electric windows soon disappeared from the market.

A friend of mine who had recently graduated from medical school was doing a rotation in an emergency ward when a guy in a coma was wheeled in on a stretcher. He'd been in a high-speed motorcycle crash and had many broken bones and a lot of very serious internal injuries. Whether he was going to survive was touch and go for a while.

When he came out of his coma, several days later, nearly the first thing the guy said was, "Thank God I wasn't wearing a helmet! I'd have broken my neck for sure!"

(Didn't read the whole thread, so I hope this story doesn't offend anyone.)
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-21-23, 02:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've got plenty of mechanical watches, but I don't really equate those with shifting gear on a bike.

I do quite like the click, click action of SRAM 1x mechanical mtb trigger shifts, but floppy road brifters not so much, especially when shifting the front mech up. That is not a very nice mechanical feel to me. So I was happy to go electronic there.
Concur. I like mechanical watches because I love the craft and engineering that went into them. I like mechanical groupsets because they work great and I can't afford the extra $1-2K for electronic.

I suppose the one thing they have in common is I'm able to work on both of them.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-23, 07:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I cannot rebuild a brifter. I can replace major parts or parts groups, but I cannot even find a decent schematic or a supplier for all the tiny internal workings ..... I forget which year Shimano moved over to brifters which you couldn't open right up and disassemble, but it happened, and the new ones .... nope, not me.
Old 02-21-23, 11:09 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Shifts not taking, followed by the queued shifts suddenly occurring at once.
Interesting, I've never had that problem nor known anyone who did. I've had other issues though. My first RD just stopped responding completely, and I had issues with two other RDs where the chain would fall between the cage and the lower pulley and wear away the carbon. As it wore, the problem would get worse and worse as it would more easily jump into the gap. The AXS/A2 RD design is leaps and bounds better than the first gen etap. At least I never had an etap RD eat away the knuckle that holds the cage on...
Old 02-22-23, 12:58 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Shifts not taking, followed by the queued shifts suddenly occurring at once.
What are "queued shifts"? Are we talking about, what in a mechanical system, would be called "ghost shifts"? If so, I wonder what they did to correct the problem. I wonder if it was an electronic or motor problem which would definitely be an electronic shifting problem.

Or more like what would cause it with an indexed mechanical system: most likely cable tension adjustment or hanger adjustment. Both can be issues with ETap shifting and both can be dealt with (micro adjust ~ cable tension; hanger alignment is more critical the more sprockets involved). Just wondering. I've had far, far less fussiness or issues with our two AXS bikes than the Shimano and Sram 10 speed mechanical bikes we have (although those are pretty much trouble free too).

Last edited by Camilo; 02-22-23 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 07:20 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
We can't link to other forums, but if you search "SRAM queued shifts" you'll see descriptions. You request a shift, it doesn't happen, try again in case it miscommunicated. Try a few more times, then it suddenly does all the shifts at once and you have a much higher or lower gear than expected.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-22-23, 07:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Never knew there was so many SRAM just on bike forums. Open up a tab with the following:

sram shifting issues site:www.bikeforums.net
Old 02-22-23, 07:53 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Some mechanics mistakenly apply dielectric grease to the AXS transmitter, this causes queued shifts. There is a special grease for photons. Seriously......

Search weightweiners for a thread. None of my bike have gunked up lube inside and all over the RD, cuz I use hot melt wax.
Old 02-22-23, 01:48 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Also, electronic shifting is amazing on tri/TT bikes.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 02-22-23, 01:50 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Well, between a click button on my STI levers and having to push a lever a few inches in order to move a cable to change gears, the first one is the best IMO. I can handle the extra weight of electronic groupsets, just like I can handle the extra weight of disc brakes.

Not to mention that electronic groupsets require very little maintenance as compared to mechanical groupsets
Old 02-22-23, 02:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

The maintenance issue is probably the biggest attraction .... I understand (from people who would know and whose experience i respect) that electronic shifts better but I can make mech shifters work just fine, so ... the idea of never having to index a derailleur or wonder how my cables are holding up or spin a barrel adjuster when the bike starts missing shifts ... I have no problem keeping batteries charged in cameras, flash units, headlights, tail lights, my phone, my laptop .... why would a derailleur battery be so hard to keep charged?
Old 02-22-23, 02:42 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
why would a derailleur battery be so hard to keep charged?
It's not. You can check the battery level before every ride.

Unless someone lives off the grid and doesn't have access to electricity (or is planning a multi-day ride under similar circumstances) this is an imaginary problem.
Old 02-22-23, 03:09 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
...why would a derailleur battery be so hard to keep charged?
It's not. Yet, a friend of mine is notoriously bad about remembering to recharge his Di2, and has been stuck with a non-shifting RD during a ride more than once. I realize this is a user issue, not a problem with electronic shifting as a system.
Old 02-22-23, 03:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
It's not. Yet, a friend of mine is notoriously bad about remembering to recharge his Di2, and has been stuck with a non-shifting RD during a ride more than once. I realize this is a user issue, not a problem with electronic shifting as a system.
Not to get into a Di2 vs Etap debate because they're both good, but other than the wireless ease of installation, the Etap system might be easier to avoid discharged battery issues. First, since you expect the batteries to not last as long, you might tend to charge them more routinely. And since there are two batteries, if one fails in the ride, you can switch them and get enough gearing to get home. But most important - the batteries are relatively cheap and very small, so it's easy to keep a spare in the saddle bag or wherever you keep your normal ride supplies (spare tube, multi tool, CO2, etc). Our habit is the first (regular, routine-ish charging). We keep spares in our saddle bags, but have never used them.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-22-23 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 03:57 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Not to get into a Di2 vs Etap debate because they're both good, but other than the wireless ease of installation, the Etap system might be easier to avoid discharged battery issues. First, since you expect the batteries to not last as long, you might tend to charge them more routinely. And since there are two batteries, if one fails in the ride, you can switch them and get enough gearing to get home. But most important - the batteries are relatively cheap and very small, so it's easy to keep a spare in the saddle bag or wherever you keep your normal ride supplies (spare tube, multi tool, CO2, etc). Our habit is the first (regular, routine-ish charging). We keep spares in our saddle bags, but have never used them.
My buddy would end up with 2 discharged batteries in his hands - LOL.
Old 02-22-23, 05:58 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
The car analogy you're looking for is power door locks, windows and seats. Manually operated systems for these accomplish the exact same end result, and are more simple, cheaper and do the same thing without all the little motors and sensors. Most people prefer the electronic versions, but I guarantee somewhere out there on a car forum right now you'll find a bunch of vintage car owners railing about how modern cars suck because of all the added weight, expense and complexity of unnecessary electronic gimmicks.

Electronic shifting on bikes is like that. When is the last time you saw a new car with manual locks or windows?
Except it's not like that because it doesn't add weight.
Old 02-22-23, 06:07 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts

Unless someone lives off the grid and doesn't have access to electricity (or is planning a multi-day ride under similar circumstances) this is an imaginary problem.
i‘ve only used the latest di2, but the battery lasts months. thousands of miles. it would have to be a seriously long tour without access to power!

when it “dies” it also dies for the FD first, into the small ring, so you still have access to a wide range and can climb, you just can’t go fast.

on the other hand, the failure mode of a broken cable is walking home / calling a lyft.
Old 02-22-23, 06:18 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have two bikes with eTap so I have 4 batteries. I always check before I ride, and if it is low I swap with the other bike and throw the low one on the charger. I use both bikes enough, I have never ran out since I started using this system.

Originally Posted by Camilo
And since there are two batteries, if one fails in the ride, you can switch them and get enough gearing to get home.
I did end up having to do this, once, when I was fairly new to eTap and before I had extra batteries to rotate through as outlined above.
Likes For ummed:
Old 02-22-23, 09:09 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The maintenance issue is probably the biggest attraction .... I understand (from people who would know and whose experience i respect) that electronic shifts better but I can make mech shifters work just fine, so ... the idea of never having to index a derailleur or wonder how my cables are holding up or spin a barrel adjuster when the bike starts missing shifts ... I have no problem keeping batteries charged in cameras, flash units, headlights, tail lights, my phone, my laptop .... why would a derailleur battery be so hard to keep charged?
The thing is, mechanical shifting shouldn't go out either. I have bikes that the indexing has been good for over a decade.

The main problem with all bikes today and shifting is how soft the derailleur hangers are.
Old 02-22-23, 09:54 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Kontact
The thing is, mechanical shifting shouldn't go out either. I have bikes that the indexing has been good for over a decade.

The main problem with all bikes today and shifting is how soft the derailleur hangers are.
You haven't changed a cable in ten years? You must not ride it much.
Old 02-22-23, 10:37 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
You haven't changed a cable in ten years? You must not ride it much.
Downtube shifters and coil housing.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-23-23, 02:17 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i have to wonder if the people who prefer modern mechanical to electronic drivetrains have just never actually used one. or maybe they live somewhere with no access to electricity for any purpose? i can get “not worth the cost,” but “not as satisfying to ride?” can’t get my head around that.
If you've ever used Shimano's downtube or bar-end levers, or Campy's Ultrashift, then you should be able to get your head around it. An indexed non-escapement shift mechanism incorporating a counterspring is a pretty damn satisfying way to shift. You can feel what the chain is doing through the cable on upshifts (pulling the cable), and downshifts on non-escapement shifters feel so much better; think anti-SRAM.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 02-23-23, 02:34 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 978 Times in 649 Posts
I cannot rebuild a brifter. I can replace major parts or parts groups, but I cannot even find a decent schematic or a supplier for all the tiny internal workings ..... I forget which year Shimano moved over to brifters which you couldn't open right up and disassemble, but it happened, and the new ones .... nope, not me.
It was with the dura ace 7900 introduced in 2008, barely repairable, and also aesthetically not as nice as the older ones.
Likes For georges1:
Old 02-23-23, 04:23 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
If you've ever used Shimano's downtube or bar-end levers, or Campy's Ultrashift, then you should be able to get your head around it. An indexed non-escapement shift mechanism incorporating a counterspring is a pretty damn satisfying way to shift. You can feel what the chain is doing through the cable on upshifts (pulling the cable), and downshifts on non-escapement shifters feel so much better; think anti-SRAM.
that may well be true. my point of comparison is brifters from the late 90s on, shimano and SRAM. very very functional, not satisfying in the tactile sense that things people are nostalgic for might be.
Old 02-23-23, 04:34 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Most barcon users seem to prefer Suntours. Not me. The feel, or lack of feel of Shimano L600 first gen DA barcons with the counterspring are hard to beat. You just think it, move the lever and it happens. Absolutely no feel from the lever. The only thing is the sound of the chain moving and the feel of the new sprocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.