Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

More gasoline on the fire - Electronic Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 01:35 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
I've only encountered this once, but the chain went to the bottom cog and I could easily ride home. I ride vintage with downtube friction but I don't see why that would make a difference.
I did have a friend whose cable (front) shredded in such a way she was stuck on the big ring, not small. Even though it's supposed to not do that.
Old 02-24-23, 02:43 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 411 Posts
A 6 year old Ultegra Di2 on a carbon frame came my way and I enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, as a mechanical engineer w/ years of maintenance background I love my mechanical transmissions. I need more practice getting the correct button which are directly adjacent but shifting is more precise than my finest tuned DA and Campy mechanicals and I enjoy that.
Old 02-24-23, 03:36 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I only do bike maintenance about once every 2 weeks and during that hour, I wax the chain
This tells me that you ride quite a lot!
I only have mechanical and I clean and lube the chain almost every 2 months - some 1300 - 1500 km. I change it at 10.000 km, although it still has lot of life remaining, maybe 25%, since it hardly reaches the first level on caliper. Cleaning the bike takes me less that 1 minute before every ride, so it does not count.
As about changing shifting cables - I did it after 30.000 km, although they had no issues. But they were old and I heard that most riders change them much often.
Old 02-24-23, 03:49 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
on the other hand, the failure mode of a broken cable is walking home / calling a lyft.
For me this is scary. If such thing really happens, then we should never ride a bike with cables. Because a brake cable takes exponentially bigger abuse than a shifting cable. If the brake cable breaks, we have all the chances to never come back home, either riding or walking...
Old 02-24-23, 04:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I have removed the brakes from my bike to forestall potential brake failure.

Next I am taking off the tires ... a blowout could cause a fall.
Old 02-24-23, 04:26 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have removed the brakes from my bike to forestall potential brake failure.
What are you doing about potential head injuries?
Old 02-24-23, 04:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What are you doing about potential head injuries?
Well, you know helmets can't protect you from everything, so........

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-24-23, 04:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I am relying on the experience gained from past head injuries to help me survive both real and potential head injuries ... it is the virtual head injuries I might suffer on certain web sites which frighten me ... I always wear a helmet on BF.
Old 02-24-23, 04:42 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I am relying on the experience gained from past head injuries to help me survive both real and potential head injuries ... it is the virtual head injuries I might suffer on certain web sites which frighten me ... I always wear a helmet on BF.
the ignore function is the BF equivalent of a helmet.
Old 02-24-23, 06:24 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
For me this is scary. If such thing really happens, then we should never ride a bike with cables. Because a brake cable takes exponentially bigger abuse than a shifting cable. If the brake cable breaks, we have all the chances to never come back home, either riding or walking...
I did have a brake cable break at the bottom of a steep (but not particularly long decent) where I regularly hit 50+ mph. Fortunately, it was just as I was about stopped anyway.
Old 02-24-23, 08:06 PM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Unless they are snipped off inside the ratchet mechanism on the older Shimano units, in which case a case of beer is needed, yes, it really is that easy. Fetch the 5 mm, push the old cable out, thread the new one in, connect, adjust and tighten. A couple of minutes? Ten? Whether one just takes one long one or a long and a short is personal pref, I always just carried one long. I always have tiewraps and duck tape.
There may be a few modern bikes with full length internal cables that would be easy to replace. But the vast majority require the BB cable guide to be disassembled - undoing both front and rear derailleur wires - to fish them through and into the stay or seat tube exit.

Most internally routed bikes are terrible to work on.
Old 02-24-23, 08:46 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Exactly that’s why I only ride hydraulic discs.
Old 02-25-23, 02:40 AM
Kontact 

Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Exactly that’s why I only ride hydraulic discs.
Right. Because brake cables are constantly breaking, and bike hydraulics never leak.

In 35 years, I have never seen a broken brake cable. Some have been so chewed up from straddle bolts that you would think they would break, but I've never seen nor heard of one outside of this thread.

But BF is a special place where reality need not apply.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 02-25-23, 05:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I guess I've been lucky. My internal cabled bikes have been a Kestral, Felt, Cervelo, and another POS. I could pull out the cable (not the housing) and slide another in like a hot knife cutting butter. I think my Trek might have been dodgy to run a cable. Don't know but I do know in 40-50 years, I have never broken a brake or shifter cable. I ride a lot.
Old 02-25-23, 05:55 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Right. Because brake cables are constantly breaking, and bike hydraulics never leak.

In 35 years, I have never seen a broken brake cable. Some have been so chewed up from straddle bolts that you would think they would break, but I've never seen nor heard of one outside of this thread.

But BF is a special place where reality need not apply.
I once had a front brake cable fail. The wires of the cable pulled out of the molded bead at the lever end. That was startling.

A good topic for a new "Bicycle Mechanics" thread: "I never saw that before." Like The GCN Show's popular "Bodge or Hack" segments.

I could start the thread with my jury-rigged triple front derailleur. A spring anchor point on the front derailleur of my Cannondale SM-500 commuter bike snapped off, and I didn't feel like spending a day hunting down an appropriate replacement derailleur at local bike shops. So I figured out how to tie the ends of a section of a cut-up inner tube onto the derailleur to replace the spring. Looked goofy but worked even more smoothly than the original configuration.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-25-23 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-25-23, 08:16 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There may be a few modern bikes with full length internal cables that would be easy to replace. But the vast majority require the BB cable guide to be disassembled - undoing both front and rear derailleur wires - to fish them through and into the stay or seat tube exit.

That's how my Colnago C-RS rim brake frames were. A real pain to route the cables internally, with a cable guide under the BB and no internal cable guides. That prompted me to switch from Campy Chorus 12 to SRAM AXS to eliminate the shift cables. I rode that setup for about a year.

That experience supported my change over to disc and wireless shifting. I bought two new Cinelli Superstar frames for $1000 each. The frames have an internal cable guide, so you shove the cable housing into the side of the down tube and it comes out the side of the chain stay. I used my SRAM AXS rim brake levers and Juin-Tech cable operated hydraulic calipers first, then switched to full hydro about a year later.

​​​​​​I've also built up two disc frames with full internal routing and integrated bar/stems. Routing hydraulic hoses through the bars wasn't difficult and routing the rear brake hose wasn't difficult either. There's a fairly large hole in the chain stay with a plastic grommet to fit a 5mm hose.
Old 02-25-23, 05:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I was recabling my Canyon Endurace, and I THOUGHT it had full internal liners. I did the rear one first.It threaded fine, but i had a little difficulty fishing the end out at the back of the chainstay. Once I figured that out, I pulled it through, fed it through the housing loop and into the RD, pulled it taut, clamped it down, adjusted the tension for nice, crisp shifting. Then I cut off the excess cable and crimped on a cable end. Then I turned my attention to the front derailleur, where I expected the cable to feed through and come up the liner that comes out of the top of the BB and feeds to the FD, but it didn't. Hmmm.

I looked under the BB, and there's a little panel. I pulled it off, and it has sections of cable liner and routing built into it. So I fished out the FD cable, fed it through the liner, and it popped out right by the FD. Easy peasy.

Then I realized that the RD cable was NOT going through the liner. No, it was just stretched across the crank spindle. And I realized I'd made the same mistake as the guy who posted that his RD cable sawed its way through the spindle.

SO, I unclamped it, fed it through the liner properly, and set up the RD AGAIN, and had BARELY enough extra cable beyond the pinch bolt to crimp on a cable end. Lesson learned: DO NOT ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-25-23, 09:19 PM
Maelochs

My Worswells have that little hatch in the bottom. On the one hand it makes it easier to run the cables despite no inner liners .... on the other hand, it can still be a challenge.

I suppose I could do it roadside if it was early in a ride, i wasn't too tired, weather wasn't too anything--hot,cold,wet,windy,dark---and if I had extra patience that day.
Old 02-25-23, 10:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I was recabling my Canyon Endurace, and I THOUGHT it had full internal liners. ...

I looked under the BB, and there's a little panel. I pulled it off, and it has sections of cable liner and routing built into it. So I fished out the FD cable, fed it through the liner, and it popped out right by the FD. Easy peasy.

Then I realized that the RD cable was NOT going through the liner. No, it was just stretched across the crank spindle. And I realized I'd made the same mistake as the guy who posted that his RD cable sawed its way through the spindle.
What is an internal liner? How is such a liner different from a bottom bracket cable guide? And how can a shift cable saw through a crank? Would the shift cable not wear out first?

On my Synapse, there is a panel under the bottom bracket shell. Popping it off reveals the shift cable guide. It is possible to thread cables through this guide without first removing the guide from the frame. So the last time I had to replace a snapped RD cable, I might as well replace the FD shift cable too. Maelochs This is not something I would attempt outside my garage.
Old 02-25-23, 11:19 PM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I didn't have any trouble routing the cables in my (1st gen) Venge and CruX. But also, not routing cables at all is way easier

Edit: This also really helps

Old 02-26-23, 02:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
What is an internal liner? How is such a liner different from a bottom bracket cable guide? And how can a shift cable saw through a crank? Would the shift cable not wear out first?

On my Synapse, there is a panel under the bottom bracket shell. Popping it off reveals the shift cable guide. It is possible to thread cables through this guide without first removing the guide from the frame. So the last time I had to replace a snapped RD cable, I might as well replace the FD shift cable too. Maelochs This is not something I would attempt outside my garage.
The internal liner is just like the inside liner in shift cable housing. In the case of the Canyon, they're both run through the cable guide on the inside of the BB hatch, The front ends of both are loose, and long enough to extend some way up the downtube. The cable guide holds them under the spindle, then the FD one exits the BB shell through a hole on top between the chainstays, and extends up to the FD. The RD one passes down the drive side chainstay all the way to the end, where there's a grommet/insert that the housing loop fits into.

The cable can saw through the crank spindle, especially an aluminum one. It happens, apparently.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-26-23, 06:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts

this kind of ridiculous. First, brake cables are thicker and more robust than shifter cables for a reason. Second the system is redundant, you have two brakes, either of which will stop you before flailing into oblivion. Third, worst case scenario, you stop the bike with a foot on the front tire behind the forks.

my best estimate is that I’ve ridden about 200,000 miles, a good portion of those in the high alps, Colorado Rockies, Appalachian mountains and Sierra Nevadas. In that time, I’ve never had a cable break on a rim brake. Or have I heard of any teammate or acquaintance have such a failure.

Conversely, it’s not very difficult to boil hydraulic fluid to the point you hydraulic discs don’t work if you use bad technique.

to the extent your post wasn’t intended to be facetious, in which case I fell hook line and sinker, if not it’s way over the top fear mongering.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 02-26-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-26-23, 06:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
this kind of ridiculous. First, brake cables are thicker and more robust than shifter cables for a reason. Second the system is redundant, you have two brakes, either of which will stop you before flailing into oblivion. Third, worst case scenario, you stop the bike with a foot on the front tire behind the forks.

my best estimate is that I’ve ridden about 200,000 miles, a good portion of those in the high alps, Colorado Rockies, Appalachian mountains and Sierra Nevadas. In that time, I’ve never had a cable break on a rim brake. Or have I heard of any teammate or acquaintance have such a failure.

Conversely, it’s not very difficult to boil hydraulic fluid to the point you hydraulic discs don’t work if you use bad technique.

to the extent your post wasn’t intended to be facetious, in which case I fell hook line and sinker, if not it’s way over the top fear mongering.
Not to mention, the brake cable does not go through the same tight radius bend taken by the shifter cable within the STI lever.
Old 02-26-23, 07:40 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
By my reckoning I have more that 200K miles and have never broken a single cable on a bike when riding. If the probability of failure on one brake cable is 1 in 1,000. The chance both break is 1 in a million. If it is 1 in 10,000 for one, the odds of both breaking at the same time is 1 in 100,000,000. I also replace cables on PM.

I have had RD break. I've had a rear dropout break. Cable? Nope.
Old 02-26-23, 08:05 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
.... in which case I fell hook line and sinker, if not it’s way over the top fear mongering.
I am pretty sure he was not being serious.

However,when I said I was removing the tires to prevent blowout i absolutely was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.