Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Road Racing Cyclist Death

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.
View Poll Results: What should change
Nothing at all
50.00%
Mitigation of risks- soft barriers, etc
50.00%
Ban on racing downhill
0%
Ban on mountain stages
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-23, 09:21 AM
Avidcyclist1

Bikes: Dawes Galaxy, Dawes Super Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I learned very recently of the sad death of a professional cyclist on a downhill section of the Tour de Suisse. Apparently the last death of a professional cyclist in similar circumstances was 12 years ago.
I like many cyclists have seen the Tour de France and seen the speeds obtained on downhill sections in the high Pyrenees and Alps. To go fast (racing) clearly affords an advantage downhill but is perilously risky to life and limb.
Something has to change in the light of the recent tragedy.
But what ? By whom and when?
To me I would favour a blanket ban on mountainous downhill sections. I favour them being taken out of the race in effect. Perhaps the race should be to the top of the 'cols'. If a stage involves multiple 'cols' then perhaps the riders should be timed to the top of the col, riders allowed to regroup cycle leisurely to the bottom and then racing resume etc.
Another option to mitigate the risks would involve a plethora of marshalls on downhill bends and the use of soft barriers etc.
A more radical idea would be to not use the mountainous stages at all.
I think the matter does require some consultation and some change agreed and made though in memory of this dreadful incident.
Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-23, 09:33 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Avidcyclist1
Something has to change in the light of the recent tragedy.
No, it doesn't. There is an element of danger in racing bicycles, as there is an element of danger in almost all types of racing. It has to be accepted at some point.
Old 06-18-23, 09:47 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
No, it doesn't. There is an element of danger in racing bicycles, as there is an element of danger in almost all types of racing. It has to be accepted at some point.
The risk is not accepted, it's mitigated.

That's why we have helmets, roll cages, seat belts, airbags.

Cycling has frame limits and helmets and a few others.

When the risk becomes unacceptable, mitigation will occur.