Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ishiwata Mimicry

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ishiwata Mimicry

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-24, 03:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Soma Fabrications, the modern San Francisco-based company, was established in 2001. Entirely separate company. (They mention in one of their blog posts that they'd been in business for two years before someone sent them a photo of one of the earlier Soma bikes. When they started their business, they were unaware that there had been a previous line of bikes with the same name.)

I think the earlier Soma bikes, bought from Kuwahara and wholesaled to bike stores by Shofer's, Inc., didn't appear in the market until the late '70's. I could be wrong about that, but I've never seen one from earlier than about 1978 or 1979.

I'm sure they were discontinued by 1983 at the latest.

Thanks for mentioning the Olympiad. I'd been trying to remember the name of the entry-level model in what I believe was a three-model lineup. Olympiad, Sport, Cosmopolitan.
I don't think the internet knew that about the Soma vs Soma Fabrications, I checked and the internet said the Olympiad was made by Soma Fabrications, which must be wrong, then the internet was calling the modern bikes just Soma, it all just makes me want to . That is a bit confusing, but thanks for clearing that up. The Olympiad must have been a rare bike because not much is found about it.
Old 03-21-24, 03:53 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
So 014A is Ishiwata? so not mimicry
What about the Super tubes 220 above on the Jan Jenssen? I see numerous examples of Ishiwata 022 Jan Jenssen frames, is this like the Soma where they appropriated/self branded the tubing?

So maybe no Mimicry? Just making it their own? what would be the terminology for that?
Yup, Soma just self branded the tubing, maybe, and did say maybe, Ishiwata didn't want to be associated with such a lowend tube set?? So they just allowed whoever to rebrand it. That wouldn't be the first time someone rebranded something.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 03-21-24, 04:10 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I don't think the internet knew that about the Soma vs Soma Fabrications, I checked and the internet said the Olympiad was made by Soma Fabrications, which must be wrong, then the internet was calling the modern bikes just Soma, it all just makes me want to . That is a bit confusing, but thanks for clearing that up. The Olympiad must have been a rare bike because not much is found about it.
Not surprising that the original Soma bikes are underrepresented on the internet. The importer might have brought in only whatever Kuwahara's minimum order was for a private label bike brand. Maybe 1,000. Maybe more like 600 or so.

Fewer than the Colnagos and Cinellis of the same period by far. The Olympiad was the entry-level model, but they still wouldn't have amounted to more than half the total number sold. So, rare in that sense.

Also, regarding their lack of internet representation, there were probably few dealers outside the mid-Atlantic area. And many or most of those dealers would have those that were too small to carry one of the major brands in the late '70's: Schwinn, Raleigh, Peugeot, Motobecane, maybe Fuji. So they wouldn't have sold many units during the few years that Soma bikes were on the market.

Looking back, I'm surprised that our customers were willing to buy a bike whose brand none of them had heard of. I guess they looked at them the way the proliferating mid-level Japanese hi-fi system brands were regarded at the time: if the store said it was a good model, there was no compelling reason to investigate further.
Old 03-21-24, 04:17 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,602 Times in 1,764 Posts
What about the Super tubes 220 above on the Jan Jenssen? I see numerous examples of Ishiwata 022 Jan Jenssen frames, is this like the Soma where they appropriated/self branded the tubing?
According to Jan Janssen jr, with whom I got in touch after acquiring the bike above, these were made by Vaneenooghe in Ruiselede, Belgium. I didn't ask about the tubing at the time, but I suspect it is high tensile steel.

Ishiwata tubing was fairly widely used by builders in the Low Countries, so emulating those decals does make some sense.

Here's another Belgian example of an inspired tubing decal:

Last edited by non-fixie; 03-22-24 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 03-21-24, 05:23 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 93 Posts

" . . . prejudiced against everything about Japanese bicycle manufacturing . . ." Sometime in the early or mid-1970's, one of the strongest racers in the New Haven area showed up at a race with a "high-end" Japanese bike. Now that was a shock! Couldn't get my head around it. You deliberately bought a Japanese bike? To race on?

A large proportion of the C&V people here got into high-performance bikes in the late '70's or thereafter, by which time the better Japanese bikes and components had won great respect, so that description must seem incomprehensible to them. All I can say is that, from 1964 (when I started racing) until the day that guy hit the starting line with his Japanese bike (probably a Fuji, but I'm not sure), I'd never seen anything other than English, French, Italian, and American (Paramount) bikes at races.

Way back machine working overtime.
After the 1973 Grand Prix of the United States, where I had helped promoter Chuck Pranke and was interpreter/tour guide for the Japanese team, their coach Takao Ono, the custom frame builder for Panasonic, offered to build me a frame as a thank you gift. Gave him my measurements and bike set up dimensions. A few months later I had the first custom Panasonic frame set in the US.
Short wheelbase, high BB SoCal crit bomber. First Tange tube frame we had seen. Ono said it was between Ishiwata 019 and 022 in weight. He had eccentrically milled the inside of the BB, taking out more from the lower front.
Panasonic corporate policy was to make the best possible product so Ono had freedom to use what he thought best for the custom shop. He had been building frames for many years prior while he was racing. He was a multi gold medalist at the Asian Games on road and track on his own frames.
Being able to use what he wanted, his choice of brazing material was a Eutectic-Castolin silver alloy which was way more expensive than brass or other silver.
Originally painted in a transparent orange over white, decals were from the Sport Deluxe, a $130 bike, just on the down tube. They did not have decals for the custom shop yet. He was able to get his “Handbuilt by T. Ono” signature decal made and put the first one on my frame.
Initial assembly was with Shimano components gifted by Japanese team riders that worked for Shimano and wanted to take gifts back instead of easily replaceable parts. Prototype Dura-Ace crankset with MKS pedals, Crane rear with machined inside of arms, DA hubs and brakes.
Rode it hard for years. In 83 had it refinished by Cyclart with braze-ons and chrome chainstay. No decals available, so had my name in Japanese put on the seat tube.
By then I was involved with Campy so built it with Super Record. Photo is from around 85/6. Clement Criterium cotton training and wet weather tires. Criterium Seta or Seta Extra for most races. Spare bag carries two used cottons and CO2.

Second year. Had riders from France, Germany (both), Great Britain, Denmark, Switzerland, USSR, Trinidad, Australia, Japan, Canada, Jamaica and others. US had riders from across the country.

After I received my frame in 73, Ono said he made some frames commissioned by Shimano for the San Diego Bicycle Club which they sponsored. One of the SDBC riders was Armen Johnson, a National Track Champion and a pilot for Pacific Southwest Airlines. He would take a slightly deviant flight path when he flew into Burbank going over the Encino Velodrome to see who was training.

Last edited by stoneageyosh; 03-21-24 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 03-21-24, 05:43 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
great story, beautiful bike, excellent choices on the re-paint - I am smitten
Old 03-21-24, 05:59 PM
stoneageyosh

Bikes: Dave Tesch Model 100 Custom Reynolds 753 / Custom Panasonic built by Takao Ono (1973)

great story, beautiful bike, excellent choices on the re-paint - I am smitten

Be glad, that is a Reader’s Digest version.
Thank you. Put a lot of miles on it in SoCal.
Old 03-21-24, 06:14 PM
Trakhak

Bumping for the post referred to above in the hope that as many of the resident experts on the history of high-performance bikes (and of Japanese bikes in particular) as possible get to read this amazing story.
Old 03-22-24, 10:45 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
At a New York City bike trade show back in the early '80's, I had a conversation at the little Ishiwata booth. The English spoken by the Japanese rep was painfully limited, and I spoke no Japanese, so it was a short talk. But he did use the word "surroundness" several times, while miming a circle.

It wasn't until I read some Bike Forums threads decades later that I learned that Ishiwata tubing was highly respected by some frame builders for its consistency in quality control. I guess the surroundness would have been one aspect of that.
there is a quote, but I don’t recall who said it, but the builder said “it looked like the insides of the tubing had been polished by little men”

I can say my ‘79 Trek 514, in full Ishiwata 022 tubing is my best riding bike.

That’s wholly subjective, I’m an over 200lb rider on a 24” frame, and I find it’s the frame that will plane for me when I get the right cadence going.

I’d love to find another, lots (comparatively speaking) of the 400 series floating around with 022 trebi tubing and hi tension fork and stays, (which could ride just as nicely, who knows!) but harder to find the full 022 tubed 510 models.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 03-22-24, 11:34 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
there is a quote, but I don’t recall who said it, but the builder said “it looked like the insides of the tubing had been polished by little men”

That’s wholly subjective, I’m an over 200lb rider on a 24” frame, and I find it’s the frame that will plane for me when I get the right cadence going.

I’d love to find another, lots (comparatively speaking) of the 400 series floating around with 022 trebi tubing and hi tension fork and stays, (which could ride just as nicely, who knows!) but harder to find the full 022 tubed 510 models.
Those Ishiwata Treks got very little attention from us bike store guys selling Treks back then. Most of us probably figured that the tube quality tracked linearly with price and thus that the more expensive Treks with Columbus or Reynolds tubing must have been superior bikes. In fact, the quality gap seems to have been much narrower than we assumed it to be, if it existed at all.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-22-24, 11:59 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
there is a quote, but I don’t recall who said it, but the builder said “it looked like the insides of the tubing had been polished by little men”.
According to this article on the Retrogrouch website, that quote has been attributed to Tom Kellogg during the time when he was at Ross Bicycles developing the Ross "Signature" line. However, per the same article that quote is also unverified.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 03-22-24, 01:00 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
According to this article on the Retrogrouch website, that quote has been attributed to Tom Kellogg during the time when he was at Ross Bicycles developing the Ross "Signature" line. However, per the same article that quote is also unverified.
thank you for the source and the unverified nature of the quote!
At the very least I can say “I” didn’t make it up! Lol
Old 03-22-24, 01:13 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by stoneageyosh

I can identify 5 Japanese autographs.
4 were cyclists :
Top, Misturu Sasaki, of Birdgestone
Middle upper, Yukiharu Mori, of Miyata, I had the same autograph but lost
Middle lower, Shinpei Okajima, of Shimano
Right, Masayuki Hasebe, of Shimano

I remember they were leading cyclists in those days.

Left and written vertically, Takao Ono, I guess he was the coach for Japanese team then.

1973 was the year when Dura Ace was born and Shimano sponsored a TV cycling program, Subarashiki Jitensha Yaro, Great Cyclists.
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 03-22-24, 02:12 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
thank you for the source and the unverified nature of the quote!
At the very least I can say “I” didn’t make it up! Lol
You're most welcome. Thought I remembered reading that at Retrogrouch, and I guess my memory isn't totally shot. Yet.
Old 03-22-24, 04:45 PM
stoneageyosh

Originally Posted by darkmoon
I can identify 5 Japanese autographs.
4 were cyclists :
Top, Misturu Sasaki, of Birdgestone
Middle upper, Yukiharu Mori, of Miyata, I had the same autograph but lost
Middle lower, Shinpei Okajima, of Shimano
Right, Masayuki Hasebe, of Shimano

I remember they were leading cyclists in those days.

Left and written vertically, Takao Ono, I guess he was the coach for Japanese team then.

1973 was the year when Dura Ace was born and Shimano sponsored a TV cycling program, Subarashiki Jitensha Yaro, Great Cyclists.

Glad that you recognize the Japanese team autographs. I saw Okajima and Hasebe at Shimano when Ono took me around when I was in Japan after he sent me my frame. Also went to Maeda/Suntour, Zunow and Nitto where I was able to order knockoffs of Cinelli steel track bars for Marina Del Rey Bike.
The Japanese team were some of the top riders in Asia at the time. Okajima and Ono had won multiple gold medals at the Asian Games. Ono on road and track.
The road bike Ono brought in 73 he said was Ishiwata 017 and that he had built a track bike with 015 which weighed a little over five kilograms. He was a pursuiter on the track and rode a small frame so it sort of made sense even though he was built like a semi-slender fire plug.
Hasebe gave me his crankset which he had finish machined himself (OJT?) and Okajima gave me his derailleurs and brakes.
Was able to see Ono in Japan in 2016 but have lost touch since then.
Likes For stoneageyosh:
Old 04-22-24, 11:02 AM
BikesAreTite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have one too!

Wow, imagine my surprise finding a bikeforums thread on what I was looking for, and it isn’t a decade old!

I just bought a frame with the same decals— Soma 014A hi-tensile tubing. I’d love to post a picture but I can’t because I made this account just to to reply, and it won’t let me post pics yet. It’s a Soma Competition.

All the hipsters and bike kids were super impressed with my find— so was I! But it sounds like this isn’t some great bike. Still, I’m going to build it up with some nice components— probably make a single-speed.

For the record, my bike has a shop decal on the frame and it’s for a Maplewood Bicycle in St. Louis.

I’d be happy to provide more info/learn more about this frame! And eventually post pics.
Old 04-22-24, 11:08 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Originally Posted by BikesAreTite
Wow, imagine my surprise finding a bikeforums thread on what I was looking for, and it isn’t a decade old!

I just bought a frame with the same decals— Soma 014A hi-tensile tubing. I’d love to post a picture but I can’t because I made this account just to to reply, and it won’t let me post pics yet. It’s a Soma Competition.

All the hipsters and bike kids were super impressed with my find— so was I! But it sounds like this isn’t some great bike. Still, I’m going to build it up with some nice components— probably make a single-speed.

For the record, my bike has a shop decal on the frame and it’s for a Maplewood Bicycle in St. Louis.

I’d be happy to provide more info/learn more about this frame! And eventually post pics.
Welcome. Make an album of photos in your "user control panel" and we will be able to share for you.
Old 04-22-24, 11:50 AM
BikesAreTite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for that suggestion! I believe I have done so now. Feel free to share it.
Old 04-22-24, 01:07 PM
SoCaled 

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/33469941 - OP's album
pic assist:

Old 04-23-24, 12:46 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts

I feel the same way about my '79 Trek 510. I love the way it rides with 700 x 33c tires.