Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

new chain, rode in rain, relube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 04:49 AM
rojeho

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roubaix Sport and Ruby Sport

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just installed by first new chain (SRAM) and read about how the factory lubes are supposed to be superior and not to be overzealous and prematurely clean them and relube. My very first ride I got caught in the rain. It was a real soaker. So now the question is do I scrub the chain down and clean it after only 30 miles?
Old 08-31-11, 05:04 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Liked 56 Times in 38 Posts
Chains are not religious objects, so don't obsess too much over the factory lube. I use an oil-based lube myself, which usually will go on right over what the factory puts on. I would wipe the chain down with a rag, apply fresh lube on top of what's there, and be done with it.
Old 08-31-11, 06:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Liked 1,102 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Chains are not religious objects, so don't obsess too much over the factory lube. I use an oil-based lube myself, which usually will go on right over what the factory puts on. I would wipe the chain down with a rag, apply fresh lube on top of what's there, and be done with it.
+1 Wipe off the chain with a dry rag and add a bit of new lube.
Old 08-31-11, 08:35 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 3,490 Times in 1,916 Posts
Odds are the factory lube survived the rain just fine (though Sram's is the least rain resistant) and you don't have to do anything at all. Just let it dry on it's own. If the water is beaded up on the outside that means the oil film under it is intact, so do nothing. If not, you might wipe off the outside, then put some oil on a paper towel and wipe that on to leave a thin film for next time. Lube works on the inside of chains and it takes serious amounts rain and splashing in puddles to flush decent lube out of a chain.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.