Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Schmidt Edeluxe II Tail Light Power

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 01:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts

I had a lighting system installed on my bike. I have a SON hub powering an Edeluxe II headlight, a Sinewave Revolution and a Velo Lumino fender tail light. The order is hub, Sinewave, light, tail light.

The cables must've gotten tugged or something, the tail light is intermittent- If I play with the cable, it's good- until it wiggles loose. I haven't pulled the cables out, haven't tried the Sinewave, so I don't know if that's anchored in there.

I did not install this so I don't know how it was put in, and I don't see much of anything online about how to run the wiring on these guys. How do the "auxiliary" (tail light and Sinewave) wires stay attached inside the Edeluxe housing?

Thank you!

And, of course, pix or it didn't happen:

IMG_1733 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 04-03-23 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-03-23, 08:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'm afraid even the boldest of us need a bit more information before we can start our remote-control guessing.

1. Is the headlight steady?
2. Can you unplug the Sinewave and see if that solves the problem?
3. Where do you jiggle the cable? Near the headlight or near the taillight?
4. Is the junction between the taillight cable and the headlight wiring sealed with heat shrink?
5. Is the wiring connecting to the taillight visible and solid?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-03-23, 09:59 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm afraid even the boldest of us need a bit more information before we can start our remote-control guessing.

1. Is the headlight steady?
2. Can you unplug the Sinewave and see if that solves the problem?
3. Where do you jiggle the cable? Near the headlight or near the taillight?
4. Is the junction between the taillight cable and the headlight wiring sealed with heat shrink?
5. Is the wiring connecting to the taillight visible and solid?
Thanks for the reply!

I went to take pictures and I remembered the connection order incorrectly- it's hub, Sinewave, light, tail light.

I should also note that the headlight always functions properly.

1. Is the headlight steady? Yes- it's solidly secured to an eyelet on the rack strut
2. Can you unplug the Sinewave and see if that solves the problem? The tail light seems intermittent regardless of the Sinewave being plugged in.
3. Where do you jiggle the cable? Near the headlight or near the taillight? I'm jiggling the cable at the light, right where the wire exits the light.
4. Is the junction between the taillight cable and the headlight wiring sealed with heat shrink? Yes.
5. Is the wiring connecting to the taillight visible and solid? I actually didn't check this- I'm 99% sure the problem is that the tail light cable is not securely connected in the light housing.

The thicker wire is the power to the light, the thinner wire is the tail light.

Edeluxe II Mount by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Here's the power in/out- the wire on top is the conductor from the Sinewave, the bottom has heat shrink material on there-

Thank you

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-03-23, 11:05 AM
cuevélo

Bikes: '20 Scott Addict RC 30, '13 Trek Soho Deluxe, '91 Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune, Mid '70s Cuevas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 42 Posts
I would add a wired ground connection to the tail light.
Old 04-03-23, 11:42 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

How is the tail light attached/secured inside the headlight mount?

Old 04-03-23, 02:25 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Hmm, this complicates things. On my eDelux (first iteration) two taillight wires came out of the headlight, with connectors 3-4" down the wires. So, I don't know if this was changed between then and now, or if your installer tried to make things look cleaner by trimming those wires back. Perhaps someone with more recent experience can help.

If it were me, I'd take or send it back to the person who did your installation, explain the intermittency, and let them fix it.

If that's not an option, or you don't want to get drastic in that direction, it's time to work things down from easiest to hardest. First, guess #1, find a short wire to bolt to your rack, and a 5 mm (if that's the right size) connector, and hook that wire up to the ground on the taillight. If that didn't fix it, I think you'd need to do some destructive evaluation. Guess #2 would be a loose connection under that shrink wrap. To confirm that guess, you'd have to carefully cut the shrink wrap off, then tug at the wire going to the connector and then the connector going to whatever's inside the headlight. It could be a bad crimp, which would require a new connector for you to put on, or it could be a bad solder joint, which you'd then have to replace. If the mating connector inside the light is loose, you'd have a warranty issue with Schmidt, or you'd have an installation problem.

Guess #3 would be the installer was going to let the frame act as the ground, and didn't make a good connector to the inside of the headlight. Now we're getting toward electronic surgery. You'd have to somehow get inside the light, connect the ground to a second wire, and run that wire to the tail light. Good luck!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-04-23, 05:34 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
The Edelux II ground is the light mount. The kit comes with an electrical connector which is a washer with a crimp for the ground wire. This should sit adjacent to the mount itself and be held snug under the nut. The OP's bike is missing this and age, corrosion, dirt, etc. have all probably combined to cause a break in the circuit, which Schmidt expressly says not to do (that is, do not use the frame as a ground and part of the circuit itself.)

Last edited by PhilFo; 04-06-23 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For PhilFo: