Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

bike computer which keeps total distance when

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 06:40 PM
asmirnov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello!
Looking for bike computer which doesn't reset (sets to to zero) total distance once battery goes down and is being changed. Please advise
Thanks
Old 04-23-23, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Most every bike computer I've had that is electronic will have a odometer that shows the total miles traveled. You usually have to go down into the menus to find it. Many you can put that field on your main display page.

I suppose if you are only buying very inexpensive electronic units that don't put this value in non-volatile memory, then you might have issues when the battery dies. But I've never had them.
Old 04-23-23, 01:48 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I think most GPS type units that get their data from satellites would keep the odometer data while charging.

All of my older pre-GPS era computers that only counted wheel revolutions had zero on the odometer after a battery change, they used coin type batteries. The more expensive ones allowed you to change the number if you knew what to change it to.
Old 04-23-23, 01:56 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I don't have a bike computer but I've been comparing my distance ridden between my Garmin GPS and my bike app on my phone.

My phone app recorded that my rides were longer than my Garmin. When I checked my exact route in Google Map, it had agreed with my Garmin. I know that the GPS signal can be spotty on my smartphone but I find it surprising that the app would add so much more distance (50km vs 43).

If I were in the market for a bike computer, I'd to get one based on wheel revolution and recalibrate it for each of my three seasonal bikes.

So why not the GPS bike computer? On some rides my Garmin also loses signals and I find my tracking jumping around.

Last edited by Daniel4; 04-23-23 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 03:20 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
I don't have a bike computer but I've been comparing my distance ridden between my Garmin GPS and my bike app on my phone.

My phone app recorded that my rides were longer than my Garmin. When I checked my exact route in Google Map, it had agreed with my Garmin. I know that the GPS signal can be spotty on my smartphone but I find it surprising that the app would add so much more distance (50km vs 43).

If I were in the market for a bike computer, I'd to get one based on wheel revolution and recalibrate it for each of my three seasonal bikes.

So why not the GPS bike computer? On some rides my Garmin also loses signals and I find my tracking jumping around.
Best method to make a GPS cycling computer very distance accurate is to add a speed sensor.
Old 04-23-23, 03:23 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I think most GPS type units that get their data from satellites would keep the odometer data while charging.

All of my older pre-GPS era computers that only counted wheel revolutions had zero on the odometer after a battery change, they used coin type batteries. The more expensive ones allowed you to change the number if you knew what to change it to.
Pretty much all of the mid to high end dedicated cycling computers can upload completed rides to an web based activity tracker such as Connect, Strava, Ride With GPS, etc. The total riding mileage over the years of using that device never goes away. You can upgrade to a newer device and nothing changes on the web database.
Old 04-24-23, 08:10 AM
asmirnov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

Thank you! Yes, exactly - if i know the number to change it to

Just recently i was browing through Amazon and came across one model, can't recall the brand or name, which did state that changing the battery doesn't reset the total distance! I didn't take down the name, my bad, now i can't find it again
Old 04-24-23, 08:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You could download a cycling app to your phone.

Strava, Ride with GPS, etc.

Log the ride to your phone. Upload to the app. Then review rides and data later.

Unfortunately some of the providers are slowly reducing free services in favor of paid services.
Old 04-24-23, 10:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by asmirnov
Thank you! Yes, exactly - if i know the number to change it to

Just recently i was browing through Amazon and came across one model, can't recall the brand or name, which did state that changing the battery doesn't reset the total distance! I didn't take down the name, my bad, now i can't find it again
If it was recent, perhaps doing a browser search for all Amazon pages you have looked at will find it? If you can remember about when, perhaps a date search would help.

But first, if you have not looked at other Amazon items since, it might show up on your amazon page as a recently browsed items.