Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Replacing batteries on sealed lights?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 10:18 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts

Has anyone successfully replaced the battery on a light that wasn't meant to have its batteries replaced? What light? Has it affected water resistance or performance?

My specific interest is in tail lights, especially those narrow enough to be strapped to a seat stay. I use PDW Danger Zones because they use AAA batteries but I want to add more lighting to my bike. I'm looking at the Blackburn 2'Fer XL (I have the regular 2'Fer and like it) but it's not meant to have the battery replaced. I'm trying to reduce waste.

Thanks.
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 03-15-24, 09:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
I'm going to assume that "non-replaceable" implies rechargeable, most likely Li-ion.

If so, it boils down to specific manufacturing details. Some are easier to deal with like soldering leads to the battery vs. using a clip in system.

But others aren't so easy to work past, like a non-standard battery not available commercially, or the light being assembled via ultrasonic welding vs. being made to take apart.

So, maybe you can settle on a wel l made rechargeable battery being as green as you're going to get.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-16-24, 10:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
My little Bontrager ION flares are more than 7 years old. They still hold a good charge. I've tossed lights with replaceable batteries in way less time. And have even tossed rechargeable AA and AAA batteries themselves in less time.

So what's been more waste?

Why the obituary subforum and not gadgets and gizmos? Some of the more active people on lights never are seen here.