Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What happens when cyclists hit potholes?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What happens when cyclists hit potholes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 02:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
There are places where pothole repair is so far behind that they grow and merge together, until you can't go around them. There are some rural roads out here where you can see where the potholes were patched, and then the patches developed holes.
We have that too. However thankfully in my case, the routes I ride are thankfully some of the better maintained or the road just doesn't seem to get potholes.
Old 01-12-24, 03:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Potholes vary tremendously, and likewise the effects of hitting them at various speeds. So, other than the conclusion that they're not good, there's not much to summarize.

Actually, there is one bit of useful advice, which is not to use the front brake as you're hitting a pothole.
And - have a good grip on the handlebars. Hands slipping off rarely works out well. The old, cursed vertical brake cables emerging from the early brake levers saved many from bad crashes. Nobody ever talked about that rude awakening as that cable rammed our hand between thumb and index but we all did it once and knew our butt had just been saved.

In pothole country, I ride the drops a lot.
Old 01-12-24, 04:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I did note that when I changed back to 38cm wide drops from the 42cm wide drops I'd been riding for about 4 years, that I was able to dodge pot holes and other road hazards seen at the last moment better. Though that's not the reason I went back to 38cm wide drops.
Old 01-12-24, 05:08 PM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is one of the hazards or obstacles, so ride vigilantly at all times, and avoid riding at night! If you truly want to ride, you must accept there are risks, but with smart riding you can beat these odds. Always use a helmet and all gear to give yourself the best chance for survival without bad injuries . Keep God in your life with much prayer and dedication, and you'll be blessed.
Old 01-12-24, 06:32 PM
Eyes Roll

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
In my childhood, I used to carefully guide the thread through a needle's eye, and stitch clothing for fun. Today, I carefully navigate the bike through debris, stones, pointed objects, and potholes, for fun as well.

Never have I been more attentive and vigilant to the streets I am traveling on. Never has my focus and concentration been so high.
Old 01-15-24, 11:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Most cities, and I know mine should have signs when entering the city that say -----remove dentures and tighten bra straps, rough road ahead!!!
Old 01-28-24, 02:48 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Another tip, also in the obvious category - don't ride through puddles that can hide potholes.
Old 01-28-24, 03:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Potholes vary tremendously, and likewise the effects of hitting them at various speeds. So, other than the conclusion that they're not good, there's not much to summarize.

Actually, there is one bit of useful advice, which is not to use the front brake as you're hitting a pothole.
And, hit that pothole with a good, solid grip on the handlebars. Firm with the hands but not with locked or rigid arms. And because we do not always plan our pothole hits, this means doing the majority of our riding with that good grip. I had this drilled into my brain in my early racing days by the club vets. Because 1) that made their rides safer since I would be less likely to take them out and 2) crashes often negatively affect training and conditioning, often costing the rider the most important objectives of the season.

So, I was told to do some now unpopular things. Especially - ride the drops in all iffy situations; that it was far better to hit that unseen pothole and come out still riding and physically unhurt if our hands stayed on the bars and in positions where even if our grip wasn't enough; we still had bars in the crotch of our thumb-fore finger. (Modern brake levers; our hands can slip off completely unless the levers are mounted far back and near vertical. In the old days, levers weren't very comfortable and if we hit that pothole, we jammed that crotch on the brake cable. Rude awakening but our hands stayed on! And we all did that at least once.)

In the '90s and '00s I read how the modern thought (by some rather famous big names) was that you rode the brifter hoods with relaxed grip to maximize blood flow to the legs. My former coaches were probably reading that and cringing.
Old 01-29-24, 12:11 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
32 minutes of discussion on potholes and bikes? That's even better than a Larry thread.
Old 01-29-24, 06:03 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Potholes vary tremendously…

In the land of Boston potholes, I have yet to grab the front brakes.

So your useful advice is more or less, really?

Get off your saddle if you can is the only, only, only, useful advice.

-mr. bill
Old 01-29-24, 06:31 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In the land of Boston potholes, I have yet to grab the front brakes.

So your useful advice is more or less, really?

Get off your saddle if you can is the only, only, only, useful advice.

-mr. bill
Gee, is this where I say, "in the land of NYC potholes, I've yet to ride through one seated".

So, by your standards, your triple "only" advice is no better than mine.

The reality is that we both endeavor to advise less experienced bicyclists, knowing that those who don't need our help will ignore it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-29-24, 06:43 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I don't know about Boston or NYC, but Oklahoma potholes are as bad as anywhere. And in the little armpit of Kansas I grew up in, I was fortunate to learn about potholes at a young age on a heavy, balloon tired bike before I bruised easily and healed slow.

The ironic thing is where I ride my bike, I don't have a lot of problems with potholes. But my drive to work in the morning this time of year requires memorizing where the potholes are.

Old 01-31-24, 06:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
32 minutes of discussion on potholes and bikes? That's even better than a Larry thread.
It's 32 minutes of discussion of the forces involved in hitting a pothole; how much force does it take to knock a bike rider over? How deep is that? The point is to give city governments solid data to base their repair policies on rather than "oh cars can handle that, no problem".
Old 01-31-24, 07:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Korina
It's 32 minutes of discussion of the forces involved in hitting a pothole; how much force does it take to knock a bike rider over? How deep is that? The point is to give city governments solid data to base their repair policies on rather than "oh cars can handle that, no problem".
I didn't read the complete study because it's of limited interest to me.

However, while the data may be useful, it still leaves a lot to subjective judgement because there are so many variables.

Do we design for the least skilled rider on the least stable bike, or seek a reasonable(?) cost benefit balance?

What speed do we assume for folks on bikes? How about E-bikes?

What is the wheel size mix?

These are important judgements that go beyond the physics of bikes and potholes. Critically important now with increasing numbers of small wheel (16-20") E-bikes in use.

Lastly, we need to make a value judgement about how much skill we want to expect of cyclists, who are rationally mist responsible for their own safety.
Old 02-04-24, 10:14 AM
ericoseveins
I like cats.

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
I think it's great that someone is exploring this. Potholes are made by motor vehicles and the depth and size are commensurate with the pressure of a multi-ton vehicle over a contact area of something like 15-25 square inches. We all know that the hazards to a cyclist are very different from those experienced by a motor vehicle, yet there's little motivation in many cities to repair potholes until they pose a larger danger to motor vehicles.
Likes For ericoseveins:
Old 02-10-24, 12:21 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Broke a Campy Record axle many years ago hitting a pothole in southeastern Turkey. No flat or bent rim - just a broken axle.
Old 02-10-24, 06:27 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by axelwik
Broke a Campy Record axle many years ago hitting a pothole in southeastern Turkey. No flat or bent rim - just a broken axle.
That's because Turkish potholes are different than the ones here.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-10-24, 06:36 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
That's because Turkish potholes are different than the ones here.
Yeah, those NY potholes are bottomless - probably wouldn't have survived!
Old 02-10-24, 06:37 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I recently read a post elsewhere about a cyclist who biked into a water covered street, hit a pothole, damaged himself and the bike, and wanted to sue. Others were telling him that he should not have attempted cycling on a flooded street.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 02-10-24, 06:42 PM
FBinNY 

Being an all season cyclist in NYC had its unique challenges. Water filled potholes were my number one cause of dented rims.

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-11-24, 08:52 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Turn Around, Don't Drown

Likes For work4bike:
Old 02-11-24, 08:53 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
We're lucky in Florida, don't see many potholes, but we do have a fair number of sinkholes

Likes For work4bike:
Old 02-15-24, 02:02 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
When I hit a pothole, things spew from my mouth that I could never repeat here....
hopefully not teeth
Old 02-15-24, 02:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
can help but remind myself, night riding opens one up to road hazards, just like this
Old 02-18-24, 02:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The more common road hazard has been the grates (cast or using rebar) that can swallow a bike tire. Railroad track crossing are another hazard and often there is not enough room for bicyclist to cross safely at a 90 degree angle.

A universal problem is highway personnel filling potholes with dry patch and tamping it down. It lasts a week or two and then the hole is back again. I contacted my local official and he has placed a special hot patch machine in the county budget for the next fiscal year. He is doing it for the motorists but bicyclists will benefit as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.