Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Open freehub roadbike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Open freehub roadbike

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 02:12 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Open freehub roadbike

How do I remove / open this freehub?, its making grinding noise when pressed down and turned. I see it has 2 notches inside but I dont have a tool for this.

Or if it cannor be opened, do I clean it with some degreaser? And how would I put new grease inside if I cannot open it?

Last edited by utoner34; 07-30-22 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
If it doesn't just pull straight off the hub, then I'll suppose you have to find a tool to fit those notches.
Or if it cannor be opened, do I clean it with some degreaser? And how would I put new grease inside if I cannot open it?
You don't.

Freewheels and free hubs only work when you are coasting and for the brief moment it takes to engage the pawls when you are beginning to pedal.

Unless by chance you ride in mud up to the hubs, I'm betting once you get in there you'll find everything reasonably clean. Though the oil or very light lube might be black with aluminum oxide or something.

If you do clean it all out, just use a light lube on the pawls and the internals in general to protect from corrosion and maybe put some very light grease on the bearings... but not much.

Maybe some better information will come along soon, but being a weekend many others are out riding.

Last edited by Iride01; 07-30-22 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 09:44 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Definitely NOT the 2 notches. You managed to post 7 photos but haven't mentioned the brand of hub. It looks pretty Shimano-ish so I'd be thinking a 10 or 11or 12mm allen to remove.
Old 07-30-22, 09:51 AM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
The removal of the freehub is brand specific, but check out this from Park Tool:

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...reehub-service

The site also discusses cleaning and lubing the freehub body.
Old 07-30-22, 10:07 AM
brooklyn_bike

Bikes: 3Rensho SuperRecord Export, Bridgestones MB1 RB1 XO2, Colnago Super, Medici GranTurismo, Schwinn Paramount, Olmo Competition, Raleigh Portage, Miyata 1000, Stumpjumper, Lotus Competition, Nishiki Maxima, Panasonic DX6000, Zeus Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 36 Posts
Old 07-31-22, 11:06 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Definitely NOT the 2 notches. You managed to post 7 photos but haven't mentioned the brand of hub. It looks pretty Shimano-ish so I'd be thinking a 10 or 11or 12mm allen to remove.
The second photo by the OP doesn’t seem to indicate that there’s any hexagonal flats for an Allen wrench of any size to engage. Removing the notched piece will (should ?) expose the outer bearing race. The outer (splined) component of the freehub can be removed BUT the inboard bearings if not caged, will go every which way . Perhaps this is a “knock off” freehub that was never intended to be removed without complete disassembly.
Old 08-01-22, 12:37 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Actually it was an allen key after all. It looked like inner is rounded so I assumed allen key was noy used but when inserted it would still fit into place and I managed to open it.
Old 08-01-22, 08:01 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
Actually it was an allen key after all. It looked like inner is rounded so I assumed allen key was noy used but when inserted it would still fit into place and I managed to open it.
I guess appearances can be deceiving . Glad that you were able to get it off without taking it apart!